Brake Bleed Order by Arachnyd
Started on: 05-09-2012 12:55 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Lambo nut on 05-09-2012 06:18 PM
Arachnyd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArachnydSend a Private Message to ArachnydDirect Link to This Post
I refused to post this because I figured it HAD to be somewhere. I searched this forum and google and haven't had any luck. what gives? must be my terminology.

Anyway, If I just guess by looking at it, I'd say rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver would be the order, but theres some plumbing I couldnt trace so who knows what kind of thing designers did with this thing... haha.

Is that right? or can someone tell me what the bleed order is?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
That is the correct order.
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

That is the correct order.

NO. If you follow the brake lines, the left rear is the farthest from the master so it is done first. The brake lines go across the front , down the passenger side, splits at the pass rear then across the rear fire/trunk wall to the driver's side.

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arachnyd:

... I'd say rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver would be the order ...

That would be right for most cars, but not for the Fiero.

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

NO. If you follow the brake lines, the left rear is the farthest from the master so it is done first.

Correct. The proper order (from longest fluid circuit to shortest) is:

1) Left rear
2) Right rear
3) Right front
4) Left front

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 05-09-2012).]

Arachnyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArachnydSend a Private Message to ArachnydDirect Link to This Post
Excellent... thats why I pinged the forum. Thanks for the help!
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Ive always done passenger rear first and worked my way to the master like the OP described. Always rock hard brakes, except on my current which ive determinded needs a new booster.

I guess I have never bothered to check the routing, but will say it does work that way. Thanks for clarifying.
hzl6cm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hzl6cmSend a Private Message to hzl6cmDirect Link to This Post
Here is what the '87 Fiero service manual says:

4. If it is necessary to bleed all of the calipers, the
following conventional sequence should be
followed:
a. right rear
b. left rear
c. right front
d. left front
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arachnyd:

I refused to post this because I figured it HAD to be somewhere. I searched this forum and google and haven't had any luck. what gives? must be my terminology.

I don't think you looked very hard.

We just talked about this Here a couple of days ago.
Arachnyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArachnydSend a Private Message to ArachnydDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I don't think you looked very hard.

We just talked about this Here a couple of days ago.

I did actually look extremely hard... haha... There is nothing in that title that would have come up with any word I could think of for order! I tried "Bleed order", "Bleeding Order" "Bleeding rotation" "Bleed rotation" "Fiero Bleeding how to" among others and had little luck... but thanks for linking to it, but while I can be accused of being lazy at times, this time was not one of them. I even went through google and some other sites looking for it. I figured it HAD to be hanging out somewhere... but thanks again!
firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Direct Link to This Post
My understanding is that it has more to do with the proportioning valve than the distance of the lines but the reality is that while following the correct order is always a good idea it’s not that critical. Just as long as you get all the air out (if you’ve opened the system). If you’re bleeding to flush the fluid then it doesn’t matter at all just bleed until you get clean fluid. What is important is that you don’t stroke the master cylinder more than ½” or so. Moving it further than that will push the seals past corrosion in the bore and damage them and it won’t always show up right away (one or two weeks later you can lose the pedal). See the post listed above.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by firejo24:

... the reality is that while following the correct order is always a good idea it’s not that critical.

Agreed. It's just that the "farthest first" sequence is slightly less likely to leave residual air in the system.
PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hzl6cm:

Here is what the '87 Fiero service manual says:

4. If it is necessary to bleed all of the calipers, the
following conventional sequence should be
followed:
a. right rear
b. left rear
c. right front
d. left front

Manual be wrong.

As mentioned, you can do it any order you want, but if you want to go from longest to shortest you need and should go,
LR,RR,RF,LF

Kevin

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock