Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Cave Update. Java Removed. All Users Please Read.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Cave Update. Java Removed. All Users Please Read. by theogre
Started on: 09-04-2012 03:18 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: theogre on 09-06-2012 12:46 PM
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
As of Midnight this morning, I've posted a new site.

It may have a few bugs but I posted it now.

Why this was done?
I'm tired of some people whining but likely new version has things that people will whine about that too...

Main reason is Java Security really sucks now... even more so since Oracle took over.
Example? Oracle rush a patch and this patch is bad or worse then version it was to fix.
Running Java w/o blocking script, like FF and NoScript plug-in, then very easy to get hard to remove malware...
read this article at The Register
search tech news, C-net's News etc, for more.

Window and Mac users... If you use Java only to access my site then Uninstall Java Now!

Note... The old non-java menu is dead too. Too much work to support two menus.

Site is more friendly to small tablets and "smart" phones.
Some things change when viewed on small devices so don't panic... If mobile/handheld uses CSS Media="handheld" then is set for all font size to 12pt and removed backgrounds & bullet list images.
But remember that Allot of them uses Zoom to read a page... Zooming vs Readable Page can depend on device on hand, i.e. Zoom software and/or screen issues may means hard to read. I did bump menu and other font size but not much else I can do. (Site always uses "Web Safe" fonts.)

I've tested FF, IE, Chrome, Safari, and Opera in WinXP/Win7 and Opera on WII w/ normal TV.
All works well on screen. Only Opera PC has a hiccup in printing a page.
Thanks to benoitmalenfant for being only one to post his tests data.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Bravo!
kikinz24

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Direct Link to This Post
Woo hooo!!!! And your not.kidding about oracle everything at work is ran by that and we have constant problems with our sites/ programs.... I hope there's less complaints now
LZeppelin513

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Direct Link to This Post

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

This is an improvement!

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 09-04-2012).]

benoitmalenfant

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantDirect Link to This Post
Ogre,

Thanks a whole lot for doing this. I was afraid a month ago when this discussion started that you would let all this info slowly go to waste by not updating your site.

Once again you're helping the community like you have always done and I think everyone will agree that this community wouldn't be the same without your valuable input.

Testing only took a few minutes, I was simply happy to be able to do a little something to help you out.

Thanks again!

------------------
Ben
87 GT
84 Indy #1863

[This message has been edited by benoitmalenfant (edited 09-04-2012).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-04-2012 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post
thank you,, tho. I never bit_hed or had any issues,,
this will allow us to all use it in the future.. and not wilt away..
again thanks..
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Thanks,
I'm about done w/ it for now...

I don't have any tablets etc so I some tests for handheld CSS in FF etc in Win7 but otherwise about same as normal CSS.
(CSS text files allow 1 stop shop to edit most format, backgrounds, etc.)
I tested Wii last night... I figure Wii (uses a stripped Opera) see it then most devices should too. I was presently surprised that look readable on normal TV.
And I've test my wife's Droid X phone... works well. Uses normal CSS, same as a PC. Even w/ zoom active I could read and use the menu.

Even if site look good on some devices... far too many OS and OS version and hardware. A few versions iOS, 5-7 more in Android, BlackBerry, list goes on and on. IOW... can't read the cave then likely problem is on your end.

I could make the new menu to look more "finished" but not in a hurry to do that. Menu is used by many thousands of sites. I did built-in a theme css but no theme file now.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-05-2012).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for taking the time to do this.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Last night I ran W3C CSS Validation Service...
I had a few error but nothing major wrong w/ any CSS files. Mainly just easy clean up. (Already done and posted.) Not bad since normal one is 12+ years old.

Site itself has a has Very few errors as HTML 5 in W3C Markup Validation Service
Example, Jacking shows 6 Errors, 3 warning(s) and fixing that just another copy/past type of op...
Most are obsolete items like align=center... so no rush to fix these...
Randy93552

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Randy93552Send a Private Message to Randy93552Direct Link to This Post
<3<3<3<3<3

LOVE from my iPad!!!
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Ogre...

I haven't used it in a while since my Fiero is in storage 1000 miles away, and I don't have a garage where I am... but I used to use it a LOT several years ago. Hopefully, you still keep it up a few years from now when I get back into it again.

Todd
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
YAY!!!

Is it smartphone friendly now?

Will there be an "ogre" app for Android, iPhone?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

This would actually be very easy to do with a CSS table that gets called up when browsing from an Android, iPhone, and include a "view full version"/"view Desktop version" as well.

That should stop the whining, and would make you an awesome ogre!

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Android? Maybe... Not likely but maybe.
iOS? Never. Apple makes good products but I won't deal with the Company or support iOS...

I'm still editing pages to remove old tags etc...
Easy for some but many tables that have problems.
Examples?
HTML5 says:
only 1 space between words. 2 or more? Illegal characters
many characters could display/print is now illegal and won't display... HTML5 then FF shows "Diamond?" IE is just square box/space.

Word love it's Smartquote? Smartquote are illegal in HTML5. I tried to turn off that feature but many pages have them over time... Why? mainly is Default Word and I forget to turn off every time I had to reinstall.

And Fixing Old tables is really a big giant pain... Fast I just ripped out allot of format just display... Example Sensor QR uses 4 tables added over 10+ years... each one uses different format etc... across many pages...
Easy to rip out formatting on some and leave it to CSS but others needs there format data mostly intact...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock