Head gasket replacement? by Mytime
Started on: 12-27-2012 11:08 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Mytime on 12-27-2012 05:47 PM
Mytime

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
I have an '86 GT with a 2.8. I noticed that I was leaking coolant lately with no outward signs of a coolant leak. Pulled off one of the valve covers and noticed that the oil inside was a little milky . Great! I'm suspecting a head gasket breach somewhere. The motor has 194,000 on it. Does this sound like a reasonable deduction?
Also, if I replace the head gaskets, does the timing chain cover need to come off to do this? I can't remember what's covering what.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a reasonable conclusion to me. As to the timing cover, I'm not sure as I haven't owned a V6 Fiero. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a answer for that.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 12-27-2012).]

hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderDirect Link to This Post
I replaced both my head gaskets on my '87 GT 5-speed last summer. The timing chain cover was not disturbed.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
It is not an entirely difficult job. You will need the right tools, and a manual for torque specs.

I am betting that the gasket let go near the front of the engine. Accessory side. It may not even be a head gasket. It is quite possibly an intake gasket.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 12-27-2012).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
A failure of the LIM gasket could also cause coolant to leak into the oil. If the head gasket failed you should have seen bubbles in the coolant while the engine was running. If the engine is already apart then you can't do the coolant system pressure test which can indicate a bad head gasket. Replacing a head gasket with the engine in the car is a PITA. You can remove the deck lid for more clearance but it is still tough to work on the front side. I would allow 6-8 hours for this job and remember to follow the torquing sequence and take the head bolts down in steps.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannDirect Link to This Post
I would before removing the heads do a mechanical gauge oil pressure check. This won't tell if you have bearing damage if pressure is normal, but will tell if you have bearing damage if the pressure is not. Seen to many do head gasket work on aging engines, only to find out, after the bottom end is worn beyond usefullness. Coolant strips bearings quick.
I also second the opinion of checking the intake leak. The 2.8 in the fieros were not as bad as the later(aluminum head) 2.8, 3.1, 3.4s, but all can have that problem. Especially due to the years.
I had a RWD 2.8 in a S10 with over 250,00 miles and offed the truck not because it ran bad, but due to all the gaskets starting to disintergrate.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
FYI, you can use a tool from Lisle that will allow you to compress the valve springs and remove the lifter rods. This way you don't have to mess getting the rocker arms adjusted. I performed a head gasket replacement (had to remove heads to fix broken exhaust bolts). The tool worked perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle...emover/dp/B000FMNWRQ
Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I was worried about the lower end on the engine due to it's age anyway. I'm sure it won't last much longer but I 'm hoping to get another year out of it. I don't want to put a lot of time and money into a 2.8. I've got three 3.8s in the garage waiting for my lazy ass to get on 'em. But a one day job and just the upper end gaskets won't be too bad. I've got another good set of heads to throw on there if it happens the one's on there need machining. Just glad to know the front end won't have to come off.
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Direct Link to This Post
I agree with those referring you to the lower intake. Way more common on our engines than the head gaskets.

Our shop almost never replaced head gaskets on any high mileage iron head/block 2.8L from a Ciera, Century, Celebrity, 6000 or S-10 but we did hundreds of intakes!
Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm, that may be some good news. Less tearing down to do.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock