Started on: 06-20-2002 11:25 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: USFiero on 07-25-2002 11:15 PM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Here are the first looks at Proud-1's new hood vents. They are from a white 85 Trans Am.

Final fitment is not complete and they are still wearing the original crappy white paint, but this gives you an idea how they look.

This should make my Houston Commutes a little cooler.

------------------

1988 Fiero - It's like an Actual Miniature Car

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
The Aura

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
are they easy to remove from junk yard T/A's?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

are they easy to remove from junk yard T/A's?

Should be, but I got mine off Ebay so I'm not sure. But looking at how they are mounted looks like two bolts and they come right off.

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
I LIKE!!!! Keep up the good upgrading!!! Steve **SmoothGT**

------------------
"Smooth Fiero GT's RULE!!"

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

4.9L V/8....Rebuild In Progress!!

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks, maybe one day I will smooooth out the trim.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
yeah and MAYBE smoooothGT will show up at ONE of our functions!!!
Looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing the SmooothGT at the next Roundup.

Will I be able to stop after one set of hood vents or am I destined to compete with Revin for the most scoops and vents?

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 06-21-2002).]

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I've had a pair of those Trans Am vents laying around for a couple years now. I like 'em, I think jscott motivated me to cutting a couple holes into my hood. They are functional too, helps with cooling and keeps air from building up under the hood at high speed which makes the front end feel floaty.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Go for it, the cutting is easy. And they are extremely functional. I can feel the hot air blowing out as a result of the fan.
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2002 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I have a cardboard template made now. Can you tell me exactly how you determined where to cut? I have a sabre saw, will this melt the plastic? Can you post another pic of the underside of the hood showing both louvers. Isn't there an inner hood brace you have to work around?

Here is a pic I found a couple years ago that first inspired me to buy the Trans Am louvers.

Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2002 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserDirect Link to This Post
They look like you surface mounted them ??? Do you or anyoneelse have any underhood pics of them flush mounted. They bolt to the hood brace, I believe, in the GTA, but in the Fiero we wnt them in that space between the hood braces.

------------------
Notchbacks Rule
84 Coupe(project car)
85GT(show car)
86???(looking)
87SE (daily driver)
88Coupe (daily driver)

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2002 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The vents are about as flush mounted on the Fiero as they were on the TA. There is a lip on the vent that is on the surface, but the main part of the vent is flush with the hood structure.

The vents fit perfectly between the ribs, which is why mine ended up in almost exactly the same as the red Fiero, (even though I had not seen that pic before)

I drew a centerline and then used a level and a cardboard template to draw a line and then I cut.

I used a Dremel to cut the hole. Since there is no metal in the hood, it went through like butter. Sabre saw should probably work too. The hood WILL melt along the cut and tend to want to reseal, but you just go over it again and it's okay.

There is a little bit of a gap on the lip of the vent so the hole does not have to be exact.

Here's the underside of both of them together

If you need more pictures I'll take them and post them.

Made my first drive in the heat today and it seemed to be about two lines before 220 instead of only one

gargoyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2002 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gargoyleSend a Private Message to gargoyleDirect Link to This Post
I could be wrong but aren't those on the wrong way or is it just the photo. I would think that you want them to be oriented so that the air exits toward the windshield. It looks like they are the other way with the vent openings toward the front of the car.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2002 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
They are oriented with the vents facing the windshield, (which is the opposite way from how they were mounted in the TA) I don't know why it looked the wrong way in the photo.
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2002 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, those pics were great... exactly what I needed, I have them saved onto my harddrive now and will print them out to use as a guide when I take the plunge to do mine (still have a few more important things to finish before I get to the hood mods). Yes, logically the vents should be pointed back towards the windshield on a Fiero since air will be flowing out of those louvers (which it looks correct to me in your pics). Thanks.
87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2002 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait to surprise everybody at the next roundup. I am working fast on my 87. I am planning on it being completed by next Spring.

The paint will happen in the Fall or Winter...

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2002 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GTBro:
I can't wait to surprise everybody at the next roundup. I am working fast on my 87. I am planning on it being completed by next Spring.

The paint will happen in the Fall or Winter...

Any hints of what you have in mind?

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2002 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
I think I woulda swapped the left for the right so that the edges would line up with the light covers...there'd be a 'V' in the middle of the hood, pretty cool. or I'll just drop some NACA ducts in it...or get one of Rockrawl's...I'd really like a pair of Ford Thunderbird turbo scoops (reversed, like these..)

------------------
John DuRette
85 SE

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock