LS1 Fiero on the road :) by LS1swap
Started on: 08-21-2002 08:44 PM
Replies: 68
Last post by: LS1swap on 09-30-2002 09:24 PM
LS1swap

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Just as it says... Took the car around the block. Couldn't go far expired tags, and open pipes ( asking for trouble) but so far so good thanks to all that have helped along the way.

------------------
LS1 project
http://ls1swap.tripod.com/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
grinthock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grinthockClick Here to visit grinthock's HomePageSend a Private Message to grinthockDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! congradulations on being one of the first!
CanadianGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanadianGTSend a Private Message to CanadianGTDirect Link to This Post
If not the first!
Congrats!
LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Thanks I want to drive it up town this Saturday to a local exhaust shop and get an estimate. Hoping they are not going to r*pe me on this. Is $500 realistic for a custom exhaust? Has quite a rumble right now LOL.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Glad you have it running!
You going to bring it to Fierorama?

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post

Tagueule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TagueuleDirect Link to This Post
Now you know we need more info than that.

This is one of those rare cases where short posts are not desired.

Spill it!

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Pictures Pictures Pictures!!

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
Sound Clip!! hehe

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

Glad you have it running!
You going to bring it to Fierorama?

Yes, you have to bring it to Fierorama!!

<edit because the thing posted before i could write anything >

[This message has been edited by Dave Gunsul (edited 08-21-2002).]

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Sweet. what clutch are you running? is it a stock LS1 manifold? I would think $500 is kinda high if you just come straight from the manifold to the tip(like archie's kit)

------------------
Two 88FORMULAS Red & Yellow
SSFiero@Aol.com

PFF
System Bot
NorthernFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthernFieroSend a Private Message to NorthernFieroDirect Link to This Post
Your nutz, Dude thats gota be fast.

North-

------------------
A Fiero with a trailer hitch, if that aint country I don't know what is.
87- Fiero (Getting a new and faster 4 banger)
79- Monte Carlo
80- Monte Carlo (the donor)

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, a "cumulative information session" would be nice. You know, things like what all you've done to handle the power (suspension, tires, etc.), what you went through to get it in there (engine/tranny mounts, accessory mounting, etc.), and what you're choice of grenade...er...transmission is.

Cool deal, we all look forward to seeing more of this setup!

Bryce
88 GT

Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
Drool.. nice work! Sound/pics/vids?
LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
More info huh... Lets see don't exactly know where to start.... When I started this I wanted a fuel injected engine. An LS1 wasn't my first choice, but I came across one cheap while I was looking for an LT1 or L98. I also wanted rubber mounts accomplished! AC didn't happen maybe in the future. I ended up using stock axles, but with one tripot joint being a type 1 instead of a type 3. The starter was a pitta. Had to make a custom mount, and drive gear. Flywheel is for a c5 with an aluminum spacer to get the right back set. I am using a kevlar clutch made by ram (only time will tell how long it holds up). I want to use the power master I keep hearing about. Wish I would have heard of it sooner. I am using the stock getrag 282 I don't plan on beating it so it should work fine. The engine does not have to be moved over apposed to popular belief. It fits just fine when you use an electric water pump, and c5 under drive pulley I did have to make a small notch in the frame but nothing compared to others I have seen ( not knocking anyone just couldn't bring myself to do that much cutting on my GT, and I have no basis to argue it just a gut feeling). I had to make a custom manifold for the forward side( starter conflict). And used a spacer on the aft LS6 one so I could move my stock engine mount up about an inch for more clearance on the axle( fortunately GM already makes this and only $17 a side). The mount in my web site is not the final one. First draft LOL. There was allot of that. I put things together and then saw how they could be better. Had to modify the cradle for oil pan clearance, but able to leave stock filter in place. I am using a Pace modified LS6 MAF/IAT. Stock PCM at this point but want to have custom programing done. I modified the harness myself including making a VATS module. Got the bolt patterns from chevy power book. Drew the CAD drawings myself, and had a CNC shop drill the holes for the adapter plate ( that was amazingly cheap too $50). Through out this hole thing I have found that if you go in and talk to people and tell the, what you are doing they treat you fair. All in all I would say I spent less than $4,000. So far I am using the stock suspension. I want to get better ones , but for this fall I think I will just drive it and enjoy it, and work on that this winter. I see no reason I couldn't bring it to fieroramma. Like I said I have only took it around the block so far. Haven't even had it up to temperature yet. So barring no problems yes LOL

RRobinson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RRobinsonSend a Private Message to RRobinsonDirect Link to This Post
Wow.. Great project- LS1 + Fiero = The ULTIMATE car-

RR
6 Fiero GTs
02 Trans Am LS1 Ram Air

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I hope you can make it to Fierorama too- I'd love to see that in person! Awsome work... feel free to post more pics when you get around to it. BTW: what does the rest of the car look like?

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! .... don't know about ultimate car though. not knocking the Fiero , but would trade it for a viper any day the 02 WS6 are pretty cool too what is your user name on ls1.com? (mine is the same) . Haven't said anything over there yet. Don't want to come across like that mini van last year LOL. the rest of the car is a stock 87 GT medium red metallic, with T-tops. If it ever stops raining around here I will take a shot of the whole car with the decklid open. If I do get to take to fieroramma please come up and introduce your selves. I don't want to make any promises just yet. Because like I said I just had it out once so far, so I don't know what problems I may incur, but I just couldn't keep quiet about it LOL. I actually ran it for the first time Sunday, but kept my mouth shut until I could take it for a test drive.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LS1swap:
...The rest of the car is a stock 87 GT medium red metallic, with T-tops. If it ever stops raining around here I will take a shot of the whole car with the decklid open. If I do get to take to fieroramma please come up and introduce your selves. I don't want to make any promises just yet. Because like I said I just had it out once so far, so I don't know what problems I may incur, but I just couldn't keep quiet about it LOL. I actually ran it for the first time Sunday, but kept my mouth shut until I could take it for a test drive.

Quite a sleeper then? I like that! I hope you do make it to Fierorama... I'll definitely introduce myself (and probably drool on your engine swap... but it cleans up easily ). I'm sure your 1st startup on Sunday was quite the adrenaline rush!

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
you flip-flopped the intake manifold. How hard was that? Once you can drive it around for a few months and if everything tests out OK, MAKE A KIT! You could make a killing if priced right

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Good eye... I almost forgot about that. It is easy on the LS1. The intake is dry (no coolant running through), and it does not serve as the valley cover. The only parts it contacts are the heads. Which are symmetrical. The harness has to remain in its original orientation though. So I needed to lengthen the wires to manifold pressure sensor, and pull back the ones that go to the throttle body. I would be willing to help anyone interested, and give them all the info I have. I do have a friend and coworker that wants one so maybe one but beyond that I don't think so. I have been corresponding back and forth with one other member working on one for a Fiero, but he has chosen to keep quiet about it so I will respect that. Maybe he will want to fill that demand. Hear is a better picture but still an old one. I need to take more but have been busy with other stuff... Oh and the clutch I was wanting is a quarter master not powermaster...my bad
PFF
System Bot
Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Awesome, good info. Thanks, and feel free to post away!

The more engines I see in the Fiero, the harder it is to decide...3.4DOHC, N*, LS1, 3800 SC. Sheesh, take it easy on a guy.

Bryce
88 GT

RRobinson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RRobinsonSend a Private Message to RRobinsonDirect Link to This Post
LS1swap- My user name is the same over at LS1.com- RRobinson. I usually hang out in the WS6-Firehawk area. I agree- Vipers are great-as are Z06 Corvettes, but a Red/Beechwood leather 88 GT T-Top with LS1 power is the true ultimate car.

Cheers

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
How's the access around the engine for maintenance? Access to spark plugs, belt driven accessories, and the serpentine belt? I wonder how it would compare to either a Northstar or regular SBC for maintenance.

You said you didn't have to move the engine to the side? If so, this may be a really great swap. Factory location (no special axles needed), all aluminum engine, 320+ HP stock, and no problems with water pump clearance.

How bad was the wiring? I know GM sells LS1 crate motors with ECM for non-computerized cars. If you can get that harness/ECM, that would probably make the swap much easier.

------------------
Help Keep the Forum Beautiful,
Ban Dude16!

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! I do like the 86-88 GT's 88 being the best. I do want to get Mr. Mikes leather seats, but I want the two tone gray to match my current interior.

Access is pretty tight , but so was my V6. The front plugs will have to be changed from underneath, but the stock plugs are AC fine wire plugs so they should last a while. It is about the same size a a generation 1 SBC and smaller than an LT1. The pan is allot wider, but it is actually just part of the block. The alternator is the only belt driven acc. I have. It is a 60 amp mini. Correct it is not moved over, and no special axles, but you do need a different tripot joint than stock. It has to do with clearance of the flywheel. the stock water pump would not fit without allot of cutting. I contacted Meziere and they explained the coolant flow of an LS1 to me. There is no cross over of coolant as in a gen. 1 SBC or LT1 (which also has some oddities in cooling that I won't go into) so I fabricated adapter plates and used a remote pump. I will post a picture of the original pump and you will see why I am not using it.

I know the crate motor you are speaking of very $$$$, but would be easier I heard it comes with an auto harness???. Painless also makes a LS1 harness For hotrod applications but once again $$$. I opted to modify a new GM stick harness($255.49) it is not as hard as I thought it would be. Once you know the pin outs you can sort out what is needed and what isn't. I also plan to get LS1 edit or custom programing in the future.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RRobinson:
a Red/Beechwood leather 88 GT T-Top with LS1 power is the true ultimate car.

Cheers

I agree with one mod...Black leather instead of beechwood. I'm sorry but beechwood screams 80's

------------------

1988 Fiero - It's like an Actual Miniature Car

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
Your work makes us owners more proud.

Good work

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 to GT conversion underway

Orville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OrvilleSend a Private Message to OrvilleDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations, Alan.

I'm the other person doing an LS1 swap that Alan referred to, although we haven't emailed each other for a few weeks now.

I installed and started my LS1 yesterday morning and ran it for about 10 minutes. That was a real thrill. On these projects you can't test anything until you test everything at once.

As you know Alan, we did a few things differently. But the details of my swap belong
in a different thread.

Again, great job. I especially like the clean
look of your installation.

Orville

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Hey orville good to hear from you . Yes we did do some things different to overcome some of the same obstacles. One thing that you did better and I would recommend for anyone else is the clutch setup. Quartermaster twin disk set up. Did you get the throw out bearing and hydraulic slave worked out? I am happy with my clutch now and seems to hold just fine, but twice the friction surface has to be better. The covers help clean things up on the LS1 they are only $40 through gmpartsdirrect.com. If you would like the part numbers let me know. They also have them for the ZO6 which are red but are $60 a pair
Orville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OrvilleSend a Private Message to OrvilleDirect Link to This Post
Alan,
Here's a link to a discussion that has some pics of what I came up with.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/024885.html

It's installed but not tested yet. Looks like it should work, though.

About the covers, it's a good idea but since I'm in California, I've had to retain all the
emissions gear with the attendant wiring and
plumbing and I don't think there's a cover big
enough to hide it all.

Orville

3.8T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8TClick Here to visit 3.8T's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3.8TDirect Link to This Post
THAT IS SWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

wanna run?!

------------------

Whaddya' mean Fieros catch fire?!

PFF
System Bot
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Orville:
About the covers, it's a good idea but since I'm in California, I've had to retain all the
emissions gear with the attendant wiring and
plumbing and I don't think there's a cover big
enough to hide it all.

Orville

Corvettes come stock with them, you have Corvettes in cali dont you? Just order a set, and make modifications as necessary, would clean up the engine bay nicely

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

GTFiero1

6508 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Orville:

As you know Alan, we did a few things differently. But the details of my swap belong
in a different thread.

Orville

and we are waiting for that thread

Orville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2002 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OrvilleSend a Private Message to OrvilleDirect Link to This Post
OK, GTFiero1 I'll get around to it soon and
when you see the pic of the engine compartment
you'll understand about covering it.

Oeville

86fierose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 213
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2002 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroseSend a Private Message to 86fieroseDirect Link to This Post
love the work and the idea...but you have to change/lose the top/cover that says corvette....it looks way out of place....IMHO
LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2002 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Other who have put them on f-bodies, and filled them in with body filler, but I think I like them better with corvette.... More intimidating
Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2002 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierose:
love the work and the idea...but you have to change/lose the top/cover that says corvette....it looks way out of place....IMHO

Isn't that the point? The engine IS out of place...it's made for a Corvette. Would you rather he put the Fiero motor back in, plenum and all? I mean...it would look like it belonged...and have about half as much power.

Bryce
88 GT

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2002 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
LS1,
WOW! This is quite an accomplishment. Really hope to see you at Fierorama.
86fierose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 213
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2002 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroseSend a Private Message to 86fieroseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nashco:
Isn't that the point? The engine IS out of place...it's made for a Corvette. Would you rather he put the Fiero motor back in, plenum and all? I mean...it would look like it belonged...and have about half as much power.

Bryce
88 GT

no, that isn't the point...that car is Bad A$$, but the car isn't a vette....kinda like it when people badge a car a "type R" and it isn't a type R.....kinda ricey to misadvertise, but to each their own, nice machine

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2002 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
I think what he is saying is, it is a corvette engine. Therefore it's not misadvertised. Now if he had a stock GT and put Corvette badges on the top of the intake, that would be misadvertised. I like the covers to say Corvette.

------------------
Two 88FORMULAS Red & Yellow
SSFiero@Aol.com

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay