Started on: 05-20-2003 01:45 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: 88CoupeV6 on 05-23-2003 11:38 PM
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Where to start...? (This'll be a long one)

Most of you know at least bits & pieces of my "adventure" from reading other topics- but I figured I should just go ahead and throw in a topic and get everything answered all at once.

If you're looking for more Carlisle pics- you won't really find any here... I don't have any pics of the show that haven't already been posted. Just a scenic one from early on in the trip:

I left home around 1pm on Thursday afternoon- my plan was to drive as close to the Indiana/Ohio border as I could get- so as to shorten the next day's drive and arrive in the late afternoon or early evening. Within an hour after leaving, my car threw a SES code for a bad MAT sensor, followed shortly by the standard old EGR. A folded sticky note fixed these minor issues for the trip

I continued on uneventfully until nearly an hour past Chicago (LaPorte, Indiana) when my alternator died on the highway- thankfully I was next to an exit when I noticed it and was able to limp the car to a hotel. It wouldn't have been quite so bad if I hadn't just replaced it with a Remanufactured one a week and a half earlier! After talking with a number of forum members who saw FieroChic's & wiccantoy's posts about me being stranded... I figured it best to just limp the car to a local shop in the morning and get it done as quickly as possible- and still try to make it to Carlisle later on Friday night. It took the shop nearly 2 1/2 hours to do the swap, and it ended up costing me $260 (the only one they could find has a HD unit with a lifetime warranty). But I was finally back on the road by noon- about 5 or 6 hours later than planned.

I arrived in Carlisle (without any further issues other than some wet PA weather) around 10pm and just grabbed a room at the local Best Western (sorry Haagster- Jen misplaced your number otherwise I would've called). It was expensive, but a quiet night's sleep was good after the stresses of the day. It wasn't until I got off the highway before I also found out that they somehow bent my brake shield- and it was scraping ocassionally. How irritating.

Saturday I woke up & met up with the Gilbert's caravan just off the highway. It was great to finally see some some familiar and friendly faces after the prior day's events!

The show went quite well (I didn't mind the weather most of the time), and I was presented with a specialty award for "Best Restoration Candidate". I was runner-up for longest distance traveled (1160 miles), Jelly (Tony) & Blackie (Lori) from Nova Scotia had me beat by more than 500 miles.

And then of course there was the "Hard Luck" award. After "pleading our cases" against each other, the crowd gave me the award for my alternator over RogerGarrison's tranny trouble. This is now my 3rd hard luck award with the car (1st was back in the fall of '97 when I rear-ended a Saturn prior to our MFF fall show, the 2nd was last year's brake incident at Fierorama in Chicago).

Saturday night was a blast- pizza with the crowd at the Gilbert's, then followed up by a few too many "Lagers" with the stories (Thanks to Matt & Joel for making sure I never was without one). So after too many more, there was a minor incident with a Scooby-Doo trash can... followed by a slow (seated) trip down a staircase and onto a couch.

Sunday morning was better (although I was still rather groggy)- Cyndi Gilbert cooked everyone breakfast, and I eventually got back to moving around. Unfortunately I had to miss most of the day's picnic as I needed to get back on the road- I headed out around noon.

Everything seemed fine for the first 3 1/2 hours- until I noticed by volts dropping off again... "great- now this alternator is shot too" was all I could think. I got off the highway in Bedford PA and manage to get the car into the parking lot of the local AutoZone, where I picked up yet another alternator. But upon inspection I realized that the shop that did the installation- had moved the wiring harness (blocking airflow from the trunkwall-vent) and something was wrong with the main power lead (it was disconnected & dangling). After some pondering & inspection, I determined that they didn't re-position the rubber connection cover. Something must've shorted it out, and it ended up melting/breaking off the end of the bolt. So I just redid the connection and covered it, and with a little testing decided I was again good to go. (roger- how's that for keeping a good hold on my Hard Luck award? LOL)

Everything after that was much less-eventful (thankfully). I contacted Joe (KissMySSFiero) and he let me crash at his place for the night (I arrived around 1am, we stayed up talking until about 2am). I was again back on the road at 8am the next morning- and arrived home just before 5pm.

All said & done, I ran the car almost exactly 2500 miles over a 5 day period, and spent nearly 40 hours in the car. Ugh.

Now the most important thing- thanks to everyone who helped me out along the way!
My biggest thanks to Fierochic88 (for being my #1 contact, posting, and helping me get to where I was going- it's good to have friends in high places), wiccantoy (for posting my contact info), dreemkeepersfiero, Xantavar, Yello86, KEV, MonkeyMan (who called at 1:30am ), Haagster (for offering a place to stay), KissMySSFiero (for calling and for giving me a couch to crash on Sunday night), The entire Gilbert Family (for their great hospitality), all those who stopped and said "hi" at the show and told me they were glad I made it, Dave/Skitime (for giving me the hard time I expect from him), Matt, Joel, Jon, Mark, Rick, Ken, Bruce, Joe, (and everyone else who hung out at the Gilbert's until the wee hours of the morning), MAFOA for putting on a great show, and finally to all those who voiced concerns & support!

Once again, even with the trouble I had along the way, I really enjoyed my time out there meeting new people, meeting Forum-friends in person, seeing "old" friends again, and just having an all-around good time. I will definitely be back again sometime!

------------------

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 05-21-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Nice write up!

Hey Rob... When your car is in the shop, or being worked on by anyone other than yourself... do you have to fight down the urge to go out there and do it yourself? Or at least watch every movement with imminent distrust and fear? I don't even trust the tire monkey's to rotate my tires correctly. I think Amir can back me up on that one.

"Uhmm, excuse me... How much would you charge if I just leased your bay and tools for an hour?"

I bet you could have gotten the alt on & off in half the time (maybe they were waiting on the part). And it would have been fixed right... ie not causing you being stranded again on Sunday.

Wonder what they would have that if you had your SBC back there! Glad you made it, hope to meet you at the 20th show... With no "Hard Luck" for either of us.

------------------
REMEMBER: stoplights synch'd for 35mph are also synch'd for 70mph.
(and for 140mph, now that I think about it.)

Xantavar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XantavarSend a Private Message to XantavarDirect Link to This Post
Not a problem!! Always willing to offer some help to a fellow fieroholic! Im just glad you got to Carlisle without anymore hitches.

See you at the 20th!!

------------------
#7277 of 46581 built in 1987.

My thoughts are on you Sean and Chris! Come back safe!

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Busy weekend? Glad I could help out. Maybe next year I'll meet up with you on the way to carlisle and head over with you. I've wanted to go to that show.

Boy am I'm glad I'm FLYING to florida this week instead of Driving. 40 hours in a car isnt fun. especially with that exhaust.

"Can ya hear me now?"

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya's!!
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA-undergoing ZZ3 350 with Accel 1000CFM Street Ram TPI and Gen VI DFI=345HP/390TQ
  • chevy S10 Parts Fetcher-getting a new engine to haul my fieros(and others)
  • 87SE V6 auto-L4 to V6 done, Daily Driver
  • My Shower Cam
derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xantavar:

Not a problem!! Always willing to offer some help to a fellow fieroholic!

fieroholic, huh? does that meen that we're all addicted to fiero-hol, lol. i like the write up too Minn. Im glad i got to see your car in person and talk to someone from the forums.

---------
In the words of Homer Simpson, "I'm a rage-a-holic. I'm addicted to rage-a-hol!

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Glad to hear you made it home alright.

------------------

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Glad you enjoyed yourself in spite of the troubles. It's always an adventure on long trips in old cars.

Does anyone here use FOLD? Is it even current? The Fiero Owners Locator Database should be in every car on a trip. I don't have a copy of it, but my father and I never went ANYWHERE in our '61 Corvair without a CORSA Roster. If you break down, just look up the closest member and give them a call.

If FOLD is out of date or defunct, I think we should setup a Pennock's version. Anyone willing to be on the list should make their city and phone number available for publication. That way, you just keep a list of members in your car - just in case.

I, for one, would have gladly headed out to help MinnGreen if he was anywhere near me, and evidence shows lots of other members feel the same way. A roster will make getting in touch with those members much faster and easier.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 05-20-2003).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I had a little trouble on the way home too. Glad we both made it. Nice talking to you at carlisle. I wasnt really serious about the hard luck award, surprised me when Jen called us both up, lol. You had a lot farther and you had to pay. Although mine was a big disappointment, It was fixed for free. Hopefully this time, they got it right. This was the 3rd trans in 2500 miles, and I havent even gotten into it yet. I got it back this morning, and as usual spent a couple hours fixing stuff they didnt do right. Remounted air cleaner/ducting, retorqued lug nuts, installed my wheel locks, new trunk seal, had to repaint trans case. Cant test it out, went back to friggin raining again all day here. At least its all cleaned up for the Hooters show and its only a block away, so I can push it if I have too, lol.
yello86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 197
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yello86seSend a Private Message to yello86seDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rob,,

I happened to see you about 2pm on 90 near lacrosse.. I wasnt in the fiero. otherwise you woudl of saw me,,

Glad the trip was fun after all the joys of expenses and headaches..
I do need to talk to you about someone that was at carlisle and the show signs

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Rob--Sorry to disturb you at 1:30am, but that's when I found out that you were in trouble and I didn't know if you were planning to leave as soon as it was fixed or what. Glad you made it home safely, bro.

Dave

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Hey... Nice meeting you too!! The show was a blast and my car enjoyed being parked next to yours. It attracted much attention in the form of "Hey! Theres Minns (Minngreen, etc) car.. Followed shortly after by "hmm, this ones interesting too" or something similar. Seems everyone knows your car, hehe.

The night at the Gilberts was great. Too bad I couldn't convince my eyes to stay open a bit longer and experience the rest of the night, but outside laughter wore me out.

Hope to see ya again at one of these other shows, wish you the best of luck!

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
blake- I know exactly what you mean! I even asked them before they started if they had ever worked on one before (the lead mechanic "Oh yeah... I used to have one...") as if that meant that he knew how to most-easily change the alternator- which would be why they pulled the passenger side axel I definitely could've done it quicker- especially if they'd have let me use the lift, and to give me 5 minutes of a guys time to get the belt tightened.

xantavar- you were the first to come through on my phone line after the number was posted!

KissMySSFiero- Joe, definitely a busy weekend It'd be fun to have another car (maybe two if we can convince anyone else from the area to come along) for a small "caravan". I'd have traveled with Archie (but the truck & trailer don't usually cruise at 80mph through the mountain highways)- I passed/saw Archie (with the Fino following behind) somewhere between Bedford & The PA/OH border. And I didn't even mention my loud exhaust, LOL- Yes, I wore ear plugs through the entire duration of the trip!

derangedsheep- I love getting to meet PFF members in person. I actually felt bad knowing that there were a number of other PFF members that I was near & didn't even know it! I probably talked to a few, but either wasn't introduced with the Forum connection, or just simply didn't know it! (Then again, that's a flaw of being fairly well known because I was from out of the area).

Avengador1- thanks, it was cool to meet you & great to see your beautiful GT in person!

Formula88- I didn't even think about printing out info from FOLD until after my car broke down in Indiana... I'm not sure how current it's kept, but I know that I registered when someone pointed it out to me (although I believe I need to go through and revise my address & phone info).

roger- I know the "competition" was just in jest (which made it even more entertaining )... I was thinking of taking an old alternator shell, painting it gold and bolting it to a wood stand and sending it to you as the "Alternate Hard Luck Award" (yeah- I know it was a bad pun... but those are the types of things one thinks of when sitting in a car for so many hours ). I hope you get the stuff with Raptor figured out soon.

Yello- I noticed your number on my cell, I was either already on the phone, or couldn't hear it ring (with earplugs in, the exhaust so loud, and my stereo cranked up... I'm lucky to hear anything else). I'll email or PM you later...

Monkeyman- I had no problem whatsoever with you calling at 1:30am It's really a sign of a very good friend who is willing themselves to call and say that they're available- whenever or wherever somone they know is in need. I really appreciated it!

JNCO- I always thought that people saw your car first... then noticed mine with a bit of a delayed reaction (yours stuck out nicely in the crowd... my dark green kind of disappeared into the grass & mud ). I'll definitely see you around again!

You mean there's a green car in this photo? LOL!

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 05-20-2003).]

88CoupeV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88CoupeV6Click Here to visit 88CoupeV6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88CoupeV6Direct Link to This Post
Glad you made it home alright. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk. I checked your car out though. That thing is looking sweet.

------------------
Josh Join us for FINE 2003

Reality

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RealityClick Here to visit Reality's HomePageSend a Private Message to RealityDirect Link to This Post
Rob,
Very nice write, as always it is a pleasure to read on eof your posts and it was equally as pleasant to have finally got to shake your hand and tell you thank you for all that you have done for me and for all the others I know that appriciate the little things you do. Glad you made it home okay even with the troubles you encountered. I do have to admite that being at this show was a real encouragement to myself so I think this weekend I going to finally after two years pull my in out of the grassy field it has been sitting in and go back to working on it and seeing if I can tackle that engine swap. ( I really dislike mechanical work!) SO take care and keep in touch.
Anthony

------------------

Get the Wallpapers here!

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Direct Link to This Post
Glad you finally made it out with your car! And thank goodness for Joel cleaning out that trash can! I probably woulda puked if I had to do it. Though I must say I wish I had a camera of you sliding down the steps on your butt.

Next time you come in, you better bring spare alternators!

Jen

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
88CoupeV6- thanks for the compliment I appreciate it. It's the good words of encouragement that keep the project progressing.

Reality- Thanks for your kind words. It was great to finally get to meet you in person as well. I'm sorry I was delayed on Friday night, as I was really looking forward to talking to you for awhile longer. Maybe at the 20th? Going to shows with such a great crowd (and great cars) is definitely an inspriation to those of us who are driving our "work-in-progress" cars.

Jen/FieroChic- You and your family are absolutely the greatest. I'm thankful Joel cleaned the trashcan as well, LOL! But I'm also thankful there weren't any cameras around that night or the next morning - we don't need any intoxicated pictures of me floating around the forum

I'm thinking next time I take a long road trip, instead of carrying a bunch of spare parts- I may just tow a parts car!

blackie2m6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackie2m6Click Here to visit blackie2m6's HomePageSend a Private Message to blackie2m6Direct Link to This Post
Hey! Glad everyone made it home alright,It was really good putting a face with alot of the names on PFF.
BTW let me know how you make out with the picture // i would like to have a poster. email when you want my address

------------------

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
Wow, another epic battle for Green.
Sorry to hear about all your troubles and i hope you make it without any problems to the dells. You can take comfort in knowing that if you do have trouble getting to the dells i will be there to give you a hard time like i did during the brake incident in Illinois. j/k

------------------

Activities Director N.I.F.E.

88CoupeV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88CoupeV6Click Here to visit 88CoupeV6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88CoupeV6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
I'm thinking next time I take a long road trip, instead of carrying a bunch of spare parts- I may just tow a parts car!

LMAO, I could picture that

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock