Started on: 06-11-2003 10:14 AM
Replies: 46
Last post by: Voytek on 06-16-2003 05:12 PM
87GTSleeper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting ready to order some suspension stuff and am kind of stuck on how much I want to drop the suspension. I'm thinking about 1.5". I intend to run 17" Speedy Racing wheels with 45 or 50 series tires (205 front, 225 rear)in the near future and don't want a problem there. I intend to buy shocks, struts, springs, swaybars and poly bushings.

Here are my choices but I am not limited to these:

1.) Fiero Store KYB/Eibach 1" drop kit (they say .75 to 1", hmm)

2.) Fiero Store KYB/Intrax 1.8" drop kit (seems pretty low)

3.) Fiero Store KYB handling kit AND HMS coilovers and front springs.

Sorry for the length. While I would like a little technical advice, mainly I am looking for personal opinion and of course, PICS.

What do ya'll think?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 398
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
2" is my preferance , it just looks bad ass!!
right now on my V8 car i have the Eibach's that are about an inch drop, and its just NOT enough, im gonna cut another 1- 1-1/4 rungs off each spring which will pit it at about 2- 2-1/4 drop total , plus i plan to run 18's in the back, and 17 up front

------------------
Rich
white '86 se: , 2" drop, coil overs, KYB's. CRX intake, ported manifolds

Gold '86se: ,350 bored .030 over,World Products s/r Torquers, ported, Manley valves, edelbrock 750cfm, carb sanderson cc90's,4:10,Spec stage 3copper puck clutch , adj.Koni's, Eibach's,polly. and lots more!!

'92 BMW 325i : borla exhaust, ST brace, cold air intake

fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Just my opinion , but I wouldn't waste my time and money on a 3/4" to 1" drop . You would hardly notice it unless you pointed it out to someone .

I plan on lowering my Fiero 1 1/2" to 2" in front and an 1" to 1 1/2" in the rear .

Galen Smith
Red '85 Sport Coupe
Founder of Suncoast Fiero Club
Florida Fiero Council

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
"All... my... friends... drive a lowrider. And a Low - Ri - Der is a little lower...

I'm really not entirely sure how much of a "drop" my suspension is now... I had one full loop cut from the front springs, and have (Koni Adjustable) coilovers in the rear.

Here's a "before" photo:

And here's one from a couple of days ago:

It currently has 2 3/8" up front and about 2 1/4" in the rear (measured from the top of the tire to the edge of the fender).

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'm thinking I should go with about the 2" drop. MinnGreen has about the ride height I'm looking form aybe a hair lower. I've read somewhere that one full coil is good for over an inch of drop, but I'm not sure. I do think I will go with the coilover conversion from HMS. I just feel good about the extra room at the strut towers. Thanks guys.
rynelson85

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Direct Link to This Post
I ended up with about a 3" drop in the front by cutting springs... I love the way it looks!
-Ryan
sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Your tire to fender gap is going to depend on what tire size(s) you go with. If you use lower profile tires, your gap will look bigger, but your ride height will be lower. And just the opposite if you go with a little taller tire. When I installed my Eibach springs, the back lowered just a little over an inch, and the front went down about an inch and a half.

------------------

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sqoach:

Your tire to fender gap is going to depend on what tire size(s) you go with. If you use lower profile tires, your gap will look bigger, but your ride height will be lower. And just the opposite if you go with a little taller tire. When I installed my Eibach springs, the back lowered just a little over an inch, and the front went down about an inch and a half.

Yes, and no. If you increase the wheel size, and decrease the tire profile proportionally... the gap should remain nearly the same because the tire's outside diameter (and it's radius length from the spindle) will not have changed.

On the other hand, if you do not make the wheel/tire change proportionally, then you've got a whole different situation on your hands (your speedometer calibration being a major one).

Play with this tire size calculator for some examples: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Yes, and no. If you increase the wheel size, and decrease the tire profile proportionally... the gap should remain nearly the same because the tire's outside diameter (and it's radius length from the spindle) will not have changed.

On the other hand, if you do not make the wheel/tire change proportionally, then you've got a whole different situation on your hands (your speedometer calibration being a major one).

Play with this tire size calculator for some examples: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I was refering to the 17" wheels and tires that he's planning on getting. He hasn't made up his mind about tire sizes yet.

BTW, sent you another PM.

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, that tire size calculator is pretty cool! It looks like I'm gonna have to go with 225/50/17 rear and 205/50/17 front. I am currently running 225/60/15 (rear) and 205/60/15 (front). I like the "wider in back" look and feel. According to the tire calculator, the overall diameter is VERY close between a 17" 50 series and a 15" 60 series. My main concern was rear strut tower rub with the 17" 225s but after a call to HMS, I'm not worried about that anymore! Yep, I'm ordering The KYB coilovers and shorter front springs. Close that out with poly bushings and a rear swaybar and I'm on the road again!....Dang, forgot about brakes. Oh well, what is a couple more weeks to a Fiero owner.
sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GTSleeper:

Yeah, that tire size calculator is pretty cool! It looks like I'm gonna have to go with 225/50/17 rear and 205/50/17 front. I am currently running 225/60/15 (rear) and 205/60/15 (front). I like the "wider in back" look and feel. According to the tire calculator, the overall diameter is VERY close between a 17" 50 series and a 15" 60 series. My main concern was rear strut tower rub with the 17" 225s but after a call to HMS, I'm not worried about that anymore! Yep, I'm ordering The KYB coilovers and shorter front springs. Close that out with poly bushings and a rear swaybar and I'm on the road again!....Dang, forgot about brakes. Oh well, what is a couple more weeks to a Fiero owner.

Just a suggestion. You might be better off with a 45 series 205 front 225 rear. Those are closer to the original 205/60 215/60 front rear combo, but a bit smaller. And if you go too big, and the springs lower too much, you might be very close to the fender, and possibly rub on front when you hit the brakes. Also, there's probably a lot more tire choices with the 45 profile instead of the 50.
Of course the choice is yours. Just something else to think about

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Just a suggestion. You might be better off with a 45 series 205 front 225 rear. Those are closer to the original 205/60 215/60 front rear combo, but a bit smaller. And if you go too big, and the springs lower too much, you might be very close to the fender, and possibly rub on front when you hit the brakes. Also, there's probably a lot more tire choices with the 45 profile instead of the 50.

I would probably agree... I believe that most people who run 17s, run 45 series rubber. (Keep in mind that the calculator is probably more precise than your speedometer )

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
When you slam the front brakes and the black plastic air deflector scrapes hard on the pavement, you know you've gone too low..

------------------

19 Year Old Fierophile.
--1986 SE V6, Wild Custom Notchback
--1984 SE Modified Notchback

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

I would probably agree... I believe that most people who run 17s, run 45 series rubber. (Keep in mind that the calculator is probably more precise than your speedometer )

I agree with sqoach and MinnGreen. I'm running 215/45R17's on the front, and 235/45R17's on the rear of my 86GT with stock suspension. I have 17X7 Konig Monsoons with a 40mm offset. The rear tire is very close to the spring perch on the rear strut, but as they both move in relation to each other, it's not a problem. I went with these tires sizes as the calculator I used showed these to be the closest to the original 205/215/60R15's that the car came with.

------------------

Mike...86 GT 4 Speed
"Sucks to be me..."

[This message has been edited by litespd (edited 06-11-2003).]

Sophia Nova

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sophia NovaSend a Private Message to Sophia NovaDirect Link to This Post
I agree that 2" drop looks really good...I don't think you can ever go TOO low!

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for from this post, guys. Thanks a lot. I now have a much better idea of how to approach this.
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
Ill say im not stopping till I have ZERO fender gap i dont care how impractical it is. Heres a before shot w/ stock rims.

Heres a shot I took last thursday. I have Helds coilovers in the rear and ST springs up front. Im going to get 1 1/4" drop spindles as well, and the back can be lowered as desired

Sorry about the pics, my cameras downstairs, and I dont have any others of it in stock form.

derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
i wouldnt go much lower than a 2" drop front and back. but whatever yu decide on, dont make it this low

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Hey MinnGreen, didn't know Cliff owned condos.

Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyderSend a Private Message to SpyderDirect Link to This Post
If you lower the rear more than 3 close to four inches you will make your axles into springs and mess up the seals. Also you'll start to get a bumping of the cv joints, like when raise a vehicle to high.
wpgfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wpgfieroSend a Private Message to wpgfieroDirect Link to This Post
Ask SLAMMED87GT
there's no such thing as too low
remember: The lower you go the more she likes it

------------------

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Hey MinnGreen, didn't know Cliff owned condos. https://www.fiero.nl/uploads/imgs2003/PennockPL_01_1.jpg

Actually, he apparantly owns the whole street! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/030019.html

longtermgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longtermgtClick Here to visit longtermgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to longtermgtDirect Link to This Post
I'm also in the process of lowering the GT. I'm just not satisfied with the Eibachs. I bought my own coil-over parts and am going to go with Street Dreams drop spindles, though I'm worried about build quality. I've been warned away from HMS by several members. Street Dreams seems to be the only option left. Anyone know of another source for spindles? This is what my ride looks like now. Hope to get the stance right once and for all!

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Mine is roughly 2" front and back, and I run 225/50/16 on the front and 245/50/16 on the rear.

OutlawFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2003 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OutlawFieroClick Here to visit OutlawFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OutlawFieroDirect Link to This Post
My 88 Gt is lowered 2.5 inches all the way around with 300 lb springs front 350 lbs rear. It is a coilover setup. I raised my front this past weekend to 2.5 inches from 3 because of ride problems. I would suggest not ever going below 3 inches. The ride sucked, mechanics whine about how the car cannot be aligned any better than -3 degrees camber in front, and you will bottom out often. I cut the bump stops, and still had problems even with 300 lb springs up front. Save yourself the hassles and go about 2.5 maybe 2.75 inches in front. By the way I don't have pictures, but my car "looks" lower than everyones I have seen post so far. I only point this out to give you an idea that the car is still very, very low.

------------------
Help, Someone has lit a Fiero in my a#@!

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2003 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i'm letting it depend on other things i do to the car. my 87 coupe has a pretty low chin spoiler on it that has me wary of lowering it at all but i got some eibachs for the front that are supposed to only drop it about an inch. another project car has a fairly low chin planned for it but i don't see it being driven much. i got 2" drop spindles for it. both cars get rear coilovers so they can be adjusted to match. a couple of other cars fall bettween these and i got 1.5" lowering springs for them. last is a car i play with to see how cheap i can fix it up so i'll probaly just cut the stock spring down an inch or two.
longtermgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2003 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longtermgtClick Here to visit longtermgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to longtermgtDirect Link to This Post
Philphine

Where did you get your spindles? Any problems with fit/finish/install? Thanks

Mark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2003 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSend a Private Message to MarkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longtermgt:

...This is what my ride looks like now. Hope to get the stance right once and for all!

Looks fine to me as is! Not happy with the Eibachs? Want to sell 'em?

Mark

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2003 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
they're street dreams spindles that i got off another member. not installed yet. hope to once i get back home.
Firefighter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Firefighter1Send a Private Message to Firefighter1Direct Link to This Post
The answer can not be based on looks alone. My God, how can I say that? Find a major street under repair before the rough or final coat of asphalt is put down. Somewhere on that road will be a manhole cover sticking up 2 or 3inches. You car with a passenger has to be no closer than 1" to the top of that manhole cover.
SLAMMED87GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLAMMED87GTSend a Private Message to SLAMMED87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefighter1:

Find a major street under repair before the rough or final coat of asphalt is put down. Somewhere on that road will be a manhole cover sticking up 2 or 3inches. You car with a passenger has to be no closer than 1" to the top of that manhole cover.

Which is why you don't drive certain places with a car that low! My '87 GT is dropped 3" PLUS I have the FOCOA front spoiler which is 4" extension on the front. From the front I have approxiamtely 2" of clearance.Yes, and I get around without breaking it, generally.

It's a matter of opinion, do you want a car that looks tight as hell (low)? Do you want a better handling car? Both can be had with the proper lowering job, but your probably going to sacrifice some ride comfort (smoothness) doing so.

------------------
'87GT 5" Drop on 17's, Can you say "Bagged"? -on air- (Custom paint, interior, stereo, exhaust, intake, spoiler)

'95 Eclipse GSX, Black, T-25 Turbo, Autometer Pro gauge, Razo shift knob, Intake, MBC

fieros only

PFF
System Bot
liltobe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liltobeSend a Private Message to liltobeDirect Link to This Post
I just finished cutting my springs (1 coil from front, 1/2 coil from back) and installed all poly bushings, i still have to get an alignment and the springs have to settle, but it looks a lot nicer with a small fender gap, i cant wait for an alignment, i want to feel the handling.

------------------

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
With the car lowered, I've only "hit" one thing (a deer carcas if you must know, it was unavoidable at 80mph, coming over the crest of a hill, with a car in the next lane) with the bottom of the car (and even at stock height it still would've hit). I had to power wash all the chunks that were wedged in the rear swaybar... and it still has a bit of a "venison jerky" smell sometimes (bleah).
longtermgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longtermgtClick Here to visit longtermgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to longtermgtDirect Link to This Post
Mark,

I'll have to use the front Eibach springs with drop spindles as I no longer have the stockers. That is my dilema. I don't know how much of a drop to get. The rear Eibachs will be replaced by coil-overs.

G-Nasty

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for G-NastyClick Here to visit G-Nasty's HomePageSend a Private Message to G-NastyDirect Link to This Post
It no longer rubs...handles great @ over 135mph!
I have the Konis set at maximum.
BEL-TEC spindles on ST springs.
Theres no such thing as too low bro-
OUT>

[This message has been edited by G-Nasty (edited 06-15-2003).]

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
have a P/N for those bel-tec spindles?

James Z

Originally posted by G-Nasty:

It no longer rubs...handles great @ over 135mph!
I have the Konis set at maximum.
BEL-TEC spindles on ST springs.
Theres no such thing as too low bro-
OUT>

------------------

- 2.8v6, 5spd
- no cat, msd ignition/coil, K&N

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
Bell-Tech Fiero spindles are no longer being produced, and haven't been for awhile. A set recently was sold on e-bay for over 400 bucks. Had I know they were going to be worth gold (bought mine in 89/90), I would have purchased another set. I'm running these on my 85GT, with 16inch, 225s, 50s. They also supplied me with rear lowering springs. I'm running the stock front springs, and even with those I managed to rub completly through the top portion of my wheel liners during aggressive cornering. In fact when I bought these spindles I think the company name was Super Bell, they changed their name to Bell Tech in the mid 90s I think. I think they still supply drop spindles to the truck enthusiast crowd.
2birds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2birdsSend a Private Message to 2birdsDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1" front gap, and 1.5" in the rear, measured from the top of the tread. I have 225/60/15 in back, and 215/60/15 in front, on stock GT rims. Slight rub in front at full lock, when the tires were new. It's settled at about a 1.5" drop, over the past 8 years. Suspension Techniques springs. My floor jack won't go under the rear crossmember without lifting the car an inch manually first (not that dificult). The front is even more fun. Rides like a go-kart, but then it handles like one, too. I'm happy. Large dips in the highway upset it easily, so you learn to watch for them, just like sewer manhole covers.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 327
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Or play with this one http://www.fieroshop.com.au/tyrecalculator/

------------------

White 86 GT 4 Speed Manual - Black 86 GT Auto
The Fiero Shop International - Jade Web Design
If you appreciate my contribution please give me a rating

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2003 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
i dunno man.. "tire" is spelt wrong, Can i trust the info it gives me?

James Z

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Or play with this one http://www.fieroshop.com.au/tyrecalculator/

------------------

- 2.8v6, 5spd
- no cat, msd ignition/coil, K&N

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page