Finally finished brakelight conversion! by 87GTBro
Started on: 05-22-2003 10:10 PM
Replies: 34
Last post by: fiero77 on 10-17-2003 09:24 PM
87GTBro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
I finally got around to finishing my LED tailight project. Here's how it looks so far. Still needs a little tweeking.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Wow, looks like a lot of work...and a lot of $ on LEDs. Mind giving us some details?

Bryce
88 GT

Dough19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dough19Send a Private Message to Dough19Direct Link to This Post
That is really awesome. I had just started working on doing something really similar except I was going to keep the turn signal lights in the normal location. Your going to have to give me some of the details of how the circuits are wired up. Especially how you made the circuit so that it has dual brightness(stop and tail).
87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
double post

[This message has been edited by 87GTBro (edited 05-22-2003).]

87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post

87GTBro

1223 posts
Member since Oct 1999

Originally posted by Nashco:

Wow, looks like a lot of work...and a lot of $ on LEDs. Mind giving us some details?

Bryce
88 GT

The majority of the expense was on the PCBs. I used about $80 of LEDs. There is over 280 LEDs used for a complete set. The Circuit boards were about twice what I paid for the LEDs.

All together, I would say I used about $240 in materials and a little more than 8 hours of labor.

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
SWEET !!!!
Sounds like you had fun soldering them in!!!

I like the turn signals !! very creative!! Now where are mine??????

87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

SWEET !!!!
Sounds like you had fun soldering them in!!!

I like the turn signals !! very creative!! Now where are mine??????

I'll send you a set as soon as you send me $350!

Will-Martin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post
87 -
Can you post more pics of the build up please? Closeups and a few more details would be uber. Thanks!

Edit - I can not spell tonight!

[This message has been edited by Will-Martin (edited 05-23-2003).]

87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately I did not take any pics during the design and buildup process. These were my first set. The prototype you might call it. I WAS considering producing them for sale until I found out how expensive it actually is.

I used a free software from the internet to design the layout of the circuit boards. I am running 2W resistors at 100 Ohms for the brake lights and turn signals and 430 Ohms for the running lights. It was necessary to use diodes in line as well to protect the rest of the cars electrical system from voltage leak back.

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GTBro:

I'll send you a set as soon as you send me $350!

That's over 1/2 of a tranny for Revin..

I really like em' Bro... Sweet!!

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

Dough19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dough19Send a Private Message to Dough19Direct Link to This Post
What intensity leds did you use?
PFF
System Bot
86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
I can get some super bright LEDs that hey use in the deville tail lights and third brake lights, each tail light has 155 and 3rd brake has about 100.

------------------
Recipe for speed:
1 Northstar with 4T60E
1 355 body kit
1 85 Fiero frame
1 set of 18s
pinch of polyurathane and a smidgen of 11" brakes.

87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dough19:

What intensity leds did you use?

I did a lot of research and used the brightest LEDs I could find. They are produced by Agilent Technologies and the maximum output of the red ones is 24100 mcd, The yellow ones have a max output of 18400 mcd.

The part number for the red one is : HLMP-EG08-X1000
The amber one is: HLMP-EL08-WZ000

---edit---

I have an extra set of circuit boards for this particular layout. Give me a couple weeks to make sure this setup is going to hold up and I will sell these boards if anyone is interested. I'll even include the diodes and resistors you will need. All you need to do is purchase the LEDs and hook into your existing wiring.

[This message has been edited by 87GTBro (edited 05-23-2003).]

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Can I ask what software you're using? That reminds me of ExpressPCB, but I usually use the "MiniBoard" service.. Too small for that application, it looks like their other service though.. For large quantities, their "Production" service actually comes out cheaper.. But I'm always looking for other services! Taillights look good by the way!

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 Mutt, a work in progress! (Got my 3800SC, installation in progress. It now starts and runs!!!)

Dough19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dough19Send a Private Message to Dough19Direct Link to This Post
I was thinking about using some 10000mcd from ledsupply.com because you can get 100 for $36. Do you think that would still be bright enough?
I'd really like to make my own board cause I really want the original set up. However it would be much easier to just use one already made up.
87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riceburner98:

Can I ask what software you're using? That reminds me of ExpressPCB, but I usually use the "MiniBoard" service.. Too small for that application, it looks like their other service though.. For large quantities, their "Production" service actually comes out cheaper.. But I'm always looking for other services! Taillights look good by the way!

ExpressPCB is exactly what I used to design them. The name of the company is Advanced Circuits. I used the prototype express service to make them. It doesnt include the silk screen layer. I am very pleased with the service, but the price I paid for the service was painful.

Originally posted by Dough19:

I was thinking about using some 10000mcd from ledsupply.com because you can get 100 for $36. Do you think that would still be bright enough?
I'd really like to make my own board cause I really want the original set up. However it would be much easier to just use one already made up.

I dont know if 10000 mcd will be enough. I just bought the brightest ones I could find, then played with the resistance settings until it got bright enough without burning the LED up. Burning up $80 worth of LEDs in 1/2 sec would really piss me off.

Dough19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2003 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dough19Send a Private Message to Dough19Direct Link to This Post
Where were you able to buy or order the leds that you did use? Also how much were they for like 200 or so of them. I don't think I will be using as much as you did since I am going to use the original setup for the brakelights. Thanks
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2003 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
LED lamp replacements are available that plug right into your existing socket but they certainly won't be as bright as your LED array. If you doubled the socket count perhaps the tailights would be bright.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2003 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the LEDs from arrow electronics. www.arrow.com I just ordered another set and it was @ $62 for all of them. Thats 200 red ones and 100 amber ones.

As soon as I get the resistor settings just right on this circuit board, they will be fine. I took them back out of the car because they were not bright enough to see in the daylight and I did not want to risk getting rear-ended.

I am also adding more amber LEDs for the turn signals as those are really important for daytime driving.

FieroJames

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2003 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamesSend a Private Message to FieroJamesDirect Link to This Post
WOW nice job bro! I wanna see more of your fiero

------------------

87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2003 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
You want, you got it!

PFF
System Bot
tjfennel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2003 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjfennelClick Here to visit tjfennel's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjfennelDirect Link to This Post
Woah... that's so damned awesome.

Couple questions:
1:Is that legal? (who cares, if it isn't... it looks so cool)
2:Can I use your idea on my car?

Great job, looks incredible

87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2003 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
I don't see why it would be illegal. As long as they are as bright as the originals (which I am still working on)

I haven't checked with the local laws though.

What car do you have? My next project will be for my friend's mustang...

[This message has been edited by 87GTBro (edited 05-27-2003).]

tjfennel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2003 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjfennelClick Here to visit tjfennel's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjfennelDirect Link to This Post
I'll soon have an 88 GT if all goes well . I always wanted to use LEDs in the taillights of my car one day, since they've got a more even light distribution than conventional bulbs.

No idea about the legal thing, either. Lots of rice burners around here and I hear a lot about illegal taillight conversions and such (imported from Japan, not approved by D.O.T.).

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2003 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
2057 replacements at www.ledtronics.com are capable of putting out 100 candlepower as opposed to the 60-70 cp filament bulbs put out. Not as cool as a total conversion, but at $35 ea cheaper. The probs the ricers are having is the cheapo Pep Boys LED's they are using. They are dim and unreliable for the street.

------------------
John DuRette
Black 85 SE, undergoing work as we speak!

FieroJames

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2003 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamesSend a Private Message to FieroJamesDirect Link to This Post
Its comming along AWESOME! Love those stage 2s
Dough19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2003 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dough19Send a Private Message to Dough19Direct Link to This Post
Did you ever get them working right? Any updates?
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2003 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
*opps*
Sorry wrong topic

[This message has been edited by 8Ball (edited 10-17-2003).]

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2003 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
That's a nice job you did... a lot of effort and hard work...

------------------

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2003 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Seems to me that if you're retaining the original lenses, you could gain alot of intensity, and cut back on the number of necessary LEDs by using the ultra bright white/blue LEDs, since the lens of the taillight is going to provide coloration. Red or yellow under a red or yellow lens/diffuser is redundent, and would cut down the inensity. Just a thought.
87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2003 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
Wow, talk about bringing up the past... I have to make some changes to these lights because I found out they were not bright enough. I am really bad about not finishing projects and have not made time to finish them. But I will! They will look the same... except brighter.
PFF
System Bot
87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2003 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post

87GTBro

1223 posts
Member since Oct 1999

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Seems to me that if you're retaining the original lenses, you could gain alot of intensity, and cut back on the number of necessary LEDs by using the ultra bright white/blue LEDs, since the lens of the taillight is going to provide coloration. Red or yellow under a red or yellow lens/diffuser is redundent, and would cut down the inensity. Just a thought.

Yeah! and your talking about $2.00 / LED!
That's not very cost effective... It would work, but I'm not willing to spend that kind of money.

BDF88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2003 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BDF88GTSend a Private Message to BDF88GTDirect Link to This Post
I've got a question for you.

What kind of life expectancy would you be looking at with a set of those?

87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2003 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
I don't know. When I get them finished, I'll start timing!
fiero77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2003 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero77Send a Private Message to fiero77Direct Link to This Post
I beleive that the average LED has a life expectancy of around 10,000 hours. Now if you play around with the voltage and run them harder the life may go down.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock