Just got back from Power Tour! by Matt Hawkins
Started on: 06-03-2003 02:33 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 06-03-2003 05:06 PM
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I did the first three legs of the HotRod Power Tour with my 3.4l DOHC Turbo Fiero (Nashville, Memphis and Jackson). This was a big leap of faith as I put over 2000 miles on the car. I had never taken it farther than 80 miles from home. I didn't have a single hiccup the entire trip. I got home last night around midnight and parked the car in the driveway. Ironically, I left in the car this morning headed for work and didn't make it half a mile from home and the passenger side axle popped out of the trans! I had just driven the car 820 miles the day before to make it home. I guess luck was on my side with that one. No damage as the axle was still retained by the support bearing. It just came out of the spline.

The tour itself was a great experience. I met many good people from all over the country. Next year I will doing the entire tour (albeit with functional A/C and cruise control). Unfortunetaly, I had the only Fiero around for those three days. I didn't see another one. Many were impressed with the installation and commented how it was nice to see one of these cars in good shape with cool mods. Others were impressed with the power on the road. I was engaged in a friendly "display of power" with a nice sounding 1971 Z28 and promptly showed him the taillights deep into triple digit speeds. The guy was floored that he had gotten beat. At the next stop for gas, he had nothing but praise and questions about my car. Chalk one up for the Fiero. One of the highlights of the trip for me was having John Moss sign my intake plenum. He is retiring from GM this year which made it even cooler. I hope next year more Fieros make it out for the tour as it is a great time.

Matt

------------------
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87GTSleeper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Man, I was supposed to go to that show in Jackson, too!! But I didn't. Why? I was working on that dang ol' Fiero! My buddy it work said it was killer. Sorry I missed it.
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
What? No pics?

Glad to hear that everything turned out OK

You didn't see Phil from RI in his custom yellow Formula?

Steve

------------------

Almost 400 pics of our 18 Fieros:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/fiero5

Justinjob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinjobSend a Private Message to JustinjobDirect Link to This Post
We want to see pics! I want to go on Power Tour someday, but not until I build a trailer out of the rear of another fiero to haul behind my car that will be awhile....

------------------

'86 Pontiac Fiero SE 2.8
'75 Fiat 124 Sport Spider 1800
'88 Ford T-Bird 2.3 Turbo Coupe This car is for sale! 2.3 l. 4cyl w/T-5 turbo-fast and fuel efficient, alarm, cd player, LCD in dash. Email if interested.
'67 Chevrolet K10

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
No I didn't see Phil. I will post some pics later today or tomorrow. As soon as I get the electrons from the digital camera developed! Storage space was quite tight in the car, but my wife and I made it in relatively good comfort. You definitely learn to pack efficiently. Being the first long trip, I was surprised at getting almost 30 MPG. That makes the 10 gallon tank go alot farther!

Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt Hawkins (edited 06-03-2003).]

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on having a successful trip, and thanks for representing the Fiero. Sounds as if you brought the respect quota up, and who knows, maybe a convert or two.
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
clear coat that plenum so the sig doesnt wear off

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed
16 years old and already selling my stuff to pay for repairs to my Fiero...which i sold my stuff to buy in the first place

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero5:

You didn't see Phil from RI in his custom yellow Formula?

I don't believe you'll be seeing any pics of Phil or his formula from this year's Power Tour. He was at Dells Run this past weekend, in his wife's '88 T-Top coupe. As I understand it, there is currently an Engine Issue that is keeping the Formula off the road!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
sounds cool guys! I hope that I can go on the power tour some day! Did you get it in front of any T.V. cameras?!?!
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

I don't believe you'll be seeing any pics of Phil or his formula from this year's Power Tour. He was at Dells Run this past weekend, in his wife's '88 T-Top coupe. As I understand it, there is currently an Engine Issue that is keeping the Formula off the road!

It's only a "little hole" in the block

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:

It's only a "little hole" in the block

Phil- glad to see that you made it home all right! It was great having you down for the Dells Run, and I hope you can make it again sometime!

About the engine... don't you just hate it when that happens? Good luck on the rebuild!

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock