Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  I need help (advice) on my engine compartment. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
I need help (advice) on my engine compartment. by Fino
Started on: 07-31-2003 01:42 PM
Replies: 41
Last post by: Fino on 08-03-2003 01:26 PM
Fino

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
I need some help in trying to improve my engine compartment, I got a "5" out of possible 10 points at the 20th show. I just took these photos and have driven my car 409 miles since the show and have not cleaned it since the show (it was spotless at the show).

The intake and valve covers are red powder coated by Heartland Fiero's. The exhaust heat shields are painted with 500 degree blue paint to match the new plug wires. The air cleaner is painted with Dupli-color Mirage. The paint that changes color from red/blue. All insulation was removed from the engine compartment and painted black.
The complete engine and trans are new rebuild and clean from oil or grease.

This photo has color difference because of the flash, sorry it is red not orange and it is powder coated.

Also my trunk needs alot of help I got a "2" out of possible 5 points. Please keep in mind my car is a rebody and the trunk has been raised up to fit the body.

It is all new vinyl with foam pad behind. The box is my CD changer.

EDIT: The spot on the trunk floor is where the armor-all was rubbed off by my luggage on the way home from the show, it was all clean at the show.

See all gone, I just rearmor-alled it.

Thank you in advance for your help I would like to improve the car for the next show.
Ed

------------------
Fino www.edstephens.com
Member National Kit Car Club www.kitcarclub.com

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 07-31-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Well... that's a tough one. The scores they give are primarily based on cleanliness, so let's see what can be spotted...

Let's see (and this is being extremely nit-picky, which isn't generally my thing):
Polish the exposed metal on the plenum & valve covers (using a green[?] scotchbrite pad).
You can clean up the black stuff using tire protectant, Armor All, or other simliar dressing (for the rubber parts). Remember that black things show the most dirt.
Consider cleaning/coating/or replacing rusted-looking bolts (I picked out the bolt holding the dog bone bracket directly above the exhaust manifold) and cleaning or coating the exhaust manifold itself.
Pick up an EGR cover (they're cheap when you do find them)
Clean or replace dirty and/or old wire looms (the dirt collects in the grooves).

As for the trunk... the vinyl looks good on the flat surfaces, but doesn't lay very smoothly on the ends (appears bunched). The latch itself has no "finish" to it, as it looks like it has just torn through the material (maybe hem the edges like a button hole).
Also, the edge where the opening is should be "finished" somehow... with a gasket, or even just a piece of rubber edging.

All this being said, I thought the car looked really good

Lambykin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LambykinSend a Private Message to LambykinDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't at the show, and have no idea what standards were used when they were judging, so please excuse my ignorance....with this in mind, here's my 2 cents worth...

I'll first start with a question - was the engine bay being rated for overall looks & cleanliness, or was it being based on how close to factory spec it was, at the same time being utlra-clean?

I think your car looks pretty good - I don't have a re-body, but just using the engine bay as a comparision, I'd be lucky to get a 1 or 2 if you only received a 5.

However, there is ALWAYS room for improvement, and judging from the pictures, this is what stands out:

Exhaust manifolds - you've gone through the pain & effort to paint & clean everything else up, but you left these poor pieces alone. I'm not going to even suggest what you should do - everyone has different tastes, but why not give them some attention?

Wiring harnesses - where you've left the original black plastic wrap, it looks as though you could have cleaned those up a little better (mine look the same way). If they're badly stained, maybe trying some tire cleaner on 'em might help, or just renewing them entirely with the pretty red stuff you've used elsewhere.

Hope you didn't lose points for not having the "Fiero" sticker on top of the intake. If you did, I'd spend the few bucks it takes and buy one...or, maybe get it engraved?

The trunk area could be fixed - the material looks loose at the bottom. If this were tight against the trunk cavity, it would improve the general appearance. I don't know what else to suggest there....something seems to be missing.

Hopefully the judges didn't deduct points because you had a blue & red combination. I personally am not found of blue & red, but this is a personal choice thing. Your engine compartment is quite clean, and is tidy. If I were to show you pictures of mine, you'd laugh to the ends of the earth.

I've never participated in a show where there was judging, so I'm an amateur at best when it comes to this sort of thing. Hopefully you'll get some input from others who have been around the block a few times as far as improvement for future shows goes...

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Well... that's a tough one. The scores they give are primarily based on cleanliness, so let's see what can be spotted...

Let's see (and this is being extremely nit-picky, which isn't generally my thing):
Polish the exposed metal on the plenum & valve covers (using a green[?] scotchbrite pad).
You can clean up the black stuff using tire protectant, Armor All, or other simliar dressing (for the rubber parts). Remember that black things show the most dirt.
Consider cleaning/coating/or replacing rusted-looking bolts (I picked out the bolt holding the dog bone bracket directly above the exhaust manifold) and cleaning or coating the exhaust manifold itself.
Pick up an EGR cover (they're cheap when you do find them)
Clean or replace dirty and/or old wire looms (the dirt collects in the grooves).

As for the trunk... the vinyl looks good on the flat surfaces, but doesn't lay very smoothly on the ends (appears bunched). The latch itself has no "finish" to it, as it looks like it has just torn through the material (maybe hem the edges like a button hole).
Also, the edge where the opening is should be "finished" somehow... with a gasket, or even just a piece of rubber edging.

All this being said, I thought the car looked really good

Thanks for your reply.

1.You can clean up the black stuff using tire protectant, Armor All, or other simliar dressing (for the rubber parts).

I did wipe all rubber parts with armor-all and the air intake rubber was cleaned and then soaked over night soaked with armor-all twice then polished to take off all excess armor-all.

2. I picked out the bolt holding the dog bone bracket directly above the exhaust manifold.

I saw that and forgot to do it, darn it.

3.Pick up an EGR cover (they're cheap when you do find them.

I did not have time to get one before the show but I am going to do that. I did polish the egr and then paint it with clear 1200 degree paint (that was not easy because I had to cover the complete engine compartment to paint it on the engine).

4. Trunk: the vinyl looks good on the flat surfaces, but doesn't lay very smoothly on the ends (appears bunched).

I agree. I have fought that with tucks, flaps ect. all it wants to do is bubble up. It needs to be cut and stiched. Don't know what to do except hire someone else to redo it.

5. The latch itself has no "finish" to it, as it looks like it has just torn through the material (maybe hem the edges like a button hole).

It is just pushed through and torn

6. cleaning or coating the exhaust manifold itself.

I removed and painted the exhaust manifold with black 1200 degree paint and it looks like h3!!.

7. the edge where the opening is should be "finished" somehow... with a gasket, or even just a piece of rubber edging.

I agree. I tried to put a seal around and over the vinyl but it interfered with the trunk closing.

Thanks for your help I may have someone redo the trunk.
Ed

------------------
Fino www.edstephens.com

Bosuch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BosuchClick Here to visit Bosuch's HomePageSend a Private Message to BosuchDirect Link to This Post
My 2 yen worth...

In the top pic, the exhaust manifolds leap out at you... Either ceramic coat them, or at least get some of that jacket material. The material would be easier and cheaper, cause you could just put nice shiny new stuff on 5 minutes before the show.

Get one of those plastic EGR covers that hides the ugly silver thing...

Get the plenum custom engraved... Heartland Fieros does that as well don't they?

Oh yeah, forgot, what about a red distributor cap? I know they're out there, my SE had one...

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bosuch (edited 07-31-2003).]

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Maybe they don't like Kenwood?
Seriously, I think the bay looks sharp. Manifolds are PITA to get at, but I like what putting Jet-Hot Sprints on my car did to the bay. Got rid of the heat shields and now you have silver parts (contrasts nicely with the rusty Y-pipe )

Rob, I like the idea of the green scotch brite. I will try that on my own plenum. A blue or red matching EGR cover will do wonders for your bay. Lastly... I don't really like the look of your plug wire routing, especially where it goes towards the firewall. It appears a little messy. I like your vap can though! That looks great!

Your car looked great at the show, glad it was there!

------------------
REMEMBER: stoplights synch'd for 35mph are also synch'd for 70mph.
(and for 140mph, now that I think about it.)

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bosuch:

My 2 yen worth...

In the top pic, the exhaust manifolds leap out at you... Either ceramic coat them, or at least get some of that jacket material. The material would be easier and cheaper, cause you could just put nice shiny new stuff on 5 minutes before the show.

Get one of those plastic EGR covers that hides the ugly silver thing...

Get the plenum custom engraved... Heartland Fieros does that as well don't they?

Bill

1. at least get some of that jacket material.

What jacket material????? Where can I buy it.

I looked at ceramic coat headers from the Fiero shop but the price killed me.

Ed

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
The only things that I see that stick out are that your trunk liner doesn't look like it fits properly because of the sags. It also looks like it is ripped by the trunk latch. I think carpeting would look 100% better there. Im not crazy about the Blue heat shields either. They definitely would look nicer if the were ceramic coated along with the manifolds. I also see some rust spots on some of your lines and what appears to be overspray on some of the lines under the plenum. Other than that it looks very clean and neat.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 07-31-2003).]

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
The trunk was very hard to do because the bottom of the trunk had to be cut off 10" to make room for the exhaust system. Then I had to make a skeleton out of metal to close the gap from the body to the trunk. Then the vinyl was glued to a sheet of aluminum and screwed to the skeleton. Just cobble, cobble, cobble.

Rebodies are fun.

Ed

------------------
Fino www.edstephens.com

Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post
All of the extra red wire loom, is too much. The Red, blue, black, . . . too many colors. Its fine that the plug wires are blue, but when you start making other thins blue, its too much. Here's a pic of mine. I got 10 out of 10.

Jason

------------------

85 SE 2M6 "Fiero Addiction"
85 SE SC3800 Series II 5-Speed

[This message has been edited by Fiero38SC (edited 07-31-2003).]

Bosuch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BosuchClick Here to visit Bosuch's HomePageSend a Private Message to BosuchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fino:

1. at least get some of that jacket material.

What jacket material????? Where can I buy it.

You *would* have to ask that... I've seen three types; don't have any experience with them.

The first is an insulated jacket that wraps the manifolds, I guess they custom make it right on your manifold cause I don't know how you'd get it on. So that's not a good option...

#2 is a similar jacket, except it's split, and you wrap it around the manifolds and secure with special "tie-wraps" kinda things... The review I read said it's easy to install and reduces engine compartment heat.

#3 is an insulated tape (you can get it in colors) that you wrap around the manifolds, kinda like taping a broken ankle. That one would probably look the best.

No clue what any of these cost, but if you do a web search for 'exhaust insulation wrap' you'll find it in a bunch of spots.

Bill

PFF
System Bot
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
On the engine.

By changing colors from stock I am losing points? I need to make the engine closer to stock?

------------------
Fino www.edstephens.com

Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Best Engine at Auburn 2002,2003 and it's coming out, how much do you want to spend to detail your motor? I have someone that wants the stuff off this motor but if it falls through it will most likely be up for sale unless i get another Fiero...

I normally don't pick and tell unless you ask.. was your car at Auburn this year??

but where to start... your car is Gold... and you engine is red and blue?? not a good color choice in my opinion (and all comments by the way is just my opinion K?)

you have to have a good first impression, cause you only get one chance at that.. so how pleasing to the eye at first glance it the motor ?? does it want to make you look more??

I'm not going to say more till i know if your car was at Auburn, i have pics of that one and will hold comments till i know what the rest of your car looks like..

------------------

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
Wait a minute:
The Fiero Judging Sheet has:

-----------
13. Rear Trunk Compartment - Cleanliness, condition of carpet. lack of stains.
-----

I am not trying to be pickey but everything is new. I am not stock.

What the heck can I do? I can't make the trunk look stock when I have had to alter it so much. The original carpet will not fit.

The trunk was clean.
Condition of carpet? (vinyl) was new.
and no stains.

I am not flaming. I want everyone to be happy. I am trying to fit in with a rebody.

Ed

------------------
Fino www.edstephens.com

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

813 posts
Member since Jan 2002

Originally posted by Kameo Kid:

Best Engine at Auburn 2002,2003 and it's coming out, how much do you want to spend to detail your motor? I have someone that wants the stuff off this motor but if it falls through it will most likely be up for sale unless i get another Fiero...

I normally don't pick and tell unless you ask.. was your car at Auburn this year??

but where to start... your car is Gold... and you engine is red and blue?? not a good color choice in my opinion (and all comments by the way is just my opinion K?)

you have to have a good first impression, cause you only get one chance at that.. so how pleasing to the eye at first glance it the motor ?? does it want to make you look more??

I'm not going to say more till i know if your car was at Auburn, i have pics of that one and will hold comments till i know what the rest of your car looks like..

YES, you have the best engine. I was at Auburn and DID take photos of your car before the judging. I was ashamed of my engine and went home to clean, polish, paint and replace everything I could before the 20th.

I took 1st Place and Best Engineered at Auburn.

Ed

------------------
Fino www.edstephens.com

fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post
not sure what else you can do, but it sure makes me wonder what i got for my engine bay. -5? lol
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for your reply.

1.You can clean up the black stuff using tire protectant, Armor All, or other simliar dressing (for the rubber parts).

I did wipe all rubber parts with armor-all and the air intake rubber was cleaned and then soaked over night soaked with armor-all twice then polished to take off all excess armor-all.

I guess in the photos you posted, I noticed just how clean & nice the black intake tube was, but then by comparison I was nitpicking the coolant filler neck & connected tube in this pic: https://www.fiero.nl/uploads/imgs2003/Eng2.JPG and then the black finish of the cruise module in this one: https://www.fiero.nl/uploads/imgs2003/Eng1.JPG

BTW: I still think it looks great It's nice to have someone ask for criticism on their stuff... and deal with it constructively instead of defensively. Oh yeah, on the exterior of your car, I really like the Peter Ashdown decals!

Edit: I don't think color has anything to do with your score... that's too personal of a preference for a judge to inflict upon each car reviewed. The thing that gets me is that you only received one more point that I did for your engine compartment (I got a 4, and a 1 for the trunk, which doesn't even have a carpet), and your compartment is way nicer than mine I think you deserved at least a 7 or even an 8! [joke]Maybe you should sue? LOL[/joke]

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 07-31-2003).]

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
Lets get past color.

I think Kameo Kid has the best engine compartment in my opinion and the judges. But the 20th judging sheet does not say color.

-----------------
8. Engine Compartment - Lack of oil, grease, dirt.
Check for cracked hoses & belts, engine paint, attention to detail.
----------------

After Auburn I completely cleaned all dirt grease and oil from my engine. Then I removed everything I could and painted it (except the exhaust manifolds again, it didn't work the first time.

I still think Kameo Kid has the best engine !

Ed

------------------
Fino www.edstephens.com

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

813 posts
Member since Jan 2002

I guess in the photos you posted, I noticed just how clean & nice the black intake tube was, but then by comparison I was nitpicking the coolant filler neck & connected tube in this pic: https://www.fiero.nl/uploads/imgs2003/Eng2.JPG and then the black finish of the cruise module in this one: https://www.fiero.nl/uploads/imgs2003/Eng1.JPG

BTW: I still think it looks great It's nice to have someone ask for criticism on their stuff... and deal with it constructively instead of defensively. Oh yeah, on the exterior of your car, I really like the Peter Ashdown decals!

If you are refering to the radiator hose the armor-all is ALL gone now from the heat.

I DO appreciate all of EVERYONES help .

EDIT: My cruise control bracket and back cover for the servo was painted black. Then I sanded the metal ring around the servo rubber boot to get rid of all the rust it had. Then armor-all the rubber boot before the show.

Ed

------------------
Fino www.edstephens.com

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

813 posts
Member since Jan 2002

Edit: I don't think color has anything to do with your score... that's too personal of a preference for a judge to inflict upon each car reviewed. The thing that gets me is that you only received one more point that I did for your engine compartment (I got a 4, and a 1 for the trunk, which doesn't even have a carpet), and your compartment is way nicer than mine I think you deserved at least a 7 or even an 8! [joke]Maybe you should sue? LOL[/joke]

NO sue! But now that you mention it I like girls named Sue,that's OK. In fact I like all girls no mater what their name is.

Ed

Ed

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroDirect Link to This Post
The only thing I can suggest that nobody else has is:

Do something with the spark plug wires. They aren't organized as well as most others.

As far as the trunk:
-It would look better carpeted, but if it's not possible then so be it.
-Also, the CD changer just jumps out at you. Perhaps you could mold it into the trunk or do something so it isn't so obvious.
-The screws at the top edge are kind of an eye sore. If you can hide them with something it would help. If you can't do that maybe get some chrome screws and make some kind of pattern out of them.

These are just my suggestions. Your car is awsome and in my opinion is nicer than it was judged.

edit for spelling

------------------
TM_Fiero

Fiero Formula Online

[This message has been edited by TM_Fiero (edited 07-31-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
I have another question. What can I do about the body?

---------------
1. Body - Lack of damage/evidence of repair.
--------------

I got an 8 out of 10 points possible.

How can I do better with all the body damage I have?

Exterior finish I got 10.
Honestly what can I do?

Ed

------------------
Fino www.edstephens.com

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
You can buy rolls of automotive carpet at most car places. Its thin enough to mold to unique shapes and use a spray glue to attch it (thats how people have carpeted the front compartment)

The engine, the blue just looks out of place if you ask me. With the rebody I feel you should have done something more with the style of the engine. You got a really good looking re-body with a stock looking, nothing special stock Fiero engine. Maybe having a plenum painted to a closer match to you car, perhaps with "Fino" engraved on it. Im sure you'd be able to sell your old plenum if you wanted since its powder coated. Then maybe do the same with the valve covers, of get the chrome edebrock ones.

As for painting the manifolds, use a paint that is a high-temp paint with ceramic in it, such as DupliColor engine enamal ceramic. And give it 1 light coat, just enough to cover it, this allows for expansion without cracking. I did this using the black duplicolor on the headers on the Chevelle and its holding up quite well, much better than any other header or high heat paint, and its only rated at 500*. Also POR15 now makes a high heat coating for headers and stuff, check out their website

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Lets get past color.

I think Kameo Kid has the best engine compartment in my opinion and the judges. But the 20th judging sheet does not say color.

-----------------
8. Engine Compartment - Lack of oil, grease, dirt.
Check for cracked hoses & belts, engine paint, attention to detail.
----------------

After Auburn I completely cleaned all dirt grease and oil from my engine. Then I removed everything I could and painted it (except the exhaust manifolds again, it didn't work the first time.

I still think Kameo Kid has the best engine !

Ed

read number 8 at the end (attention to detail)

thanks Ed for the nice comments.. Ok now that i know that was your car.. you asked for comments and i'm going to give you my ideas for what would make your engine more fitting for your car(in my opinion of course). First if you like my engine compartment and you have pics of it?? copy it!! not to a "T" but look at the detail and "eye candy" judges like eye candy.

Now on yours I can't get pass the color!!! it doesn't go with your car's color..that would change if it was mine..(get rid of the blue) I looked your car over at Auburn and the pics i have and your car has no other colors except the snake on the front..so...... use that to your advantage.. carry those colors to your engine compartment as if that is where the snake's "bite" is... use the three colors that are in the snake..black as a subtle color-great for painting things that you don't what attention payed too (black can make things "blend" into the background). red on stuff you want to "pop" out at you and yellow on different little things to add "eye candy" to you "theme" and trust me a theme is important..to the "over-all" appearance for your car..

I have a lot of chrome, enough that a blind man needs shades to look at it.. "eye candy", but there is a lot of lil things in there too that are bonus points... like... a lot of the bolts are chrome or chrome "caps" that are cheaper than chrome but add a nice detailed look.... a ..."clean look" there is where you could pick up some Bonus Points for "lil coin" that would add to the look your going for.. look at EVERY lil bolt and bracket and ask yourself what could i do to make it better??

your wireloom? did you scrub it with a brush? does it look worn?? it's cheap!! replace it with new black or red or yellow and that is available in chrome too. "it will look better" don't go overboard with one color too that could hurt you if not done in good taste, but look at my loom there are ties that go with the theme and add "eye candy" once again..

now this motor is coming out and WCF is doing a swap as soon as the car gets out there.. I know they do good work! and with my attention to details it will look better than this one!!

here is a pic of my show S-10 the motor is dirty but were looking for details here not so much clean, haven't had the time to clean it but you can see the use of caps and detailing to make it look better than stock.
notice how things painted black like the fire wall tend to blend into the background.

well Ed I hope this helps you.. i'm just trying to help ya not rag on all your work. Do as i do, I look at all the details and wonder what can i do to make it better, I look at engines in every kind of show for details there and on the rest of the cars too.. and use their ideas on yours..

[This message has been edited by Kameo Kid (edited 07-31-2003).]

Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Kameo Kid

2343 posts
Member since Jul 2002
almost forgot, the trunk... got a trim shop and have them make panels that go in there. or make them yourself but that would give it a more "taylored look" not like something that was thrown in there to cover up something, you want that to look as nice as your interior so dont go cheap on this detail.

details details details, oh did i mention.... DETAILS will make or break your car..

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambykin:
Exhaust manifolds - you've gone through the pain & effort to paint & clean everything else up, but you left these poor pieces alone. I'm not going to even suggest what you should do - everyone has different tastes, but why not give them some attention?

After seeing some in person and how tough they are I recommend Ceramic coating them, Plus it helps keep the heat where it belongs, inside the Pipe, not in the engine bay. I plan on having my entire enging Ceramic coated just to be different My .02 worth.

------------------
87 2M4 5 spd "Almost" Daily Driver with working A/C!
86 "PoSE" Needs every thing but a Sunroof Seal!!!
http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose

Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
Ok here goes nothing. First thing I was at the 20th. I had a stock looking Fiero with a N* engine nothing fancy like Kameo Kids. But the attention to detail is what got the best of show trophy. The first thing I would do is decide on a theme like match body color or lots of chrome (like kameos car) or stock look. Then try and pull all the things together. If you go with match car for instance paint the plenum and valve covers to match the car color. Maybe paint engine bay same color and add some of the same style pinstripping. Use chrome sparingly, polish all things that are aluminum like the ribs on the plenum and valve covers. Try not to bring attention to things like your wire harnesses. Make sure all harnesses cables hoses are routed and secured in a neet and orderly fashion. Clean everything right down to the wires and connectors. Make sure bolts are not rusty or stick out make sure all fasteners are the proper size. Use zip ties sparingly and make sure they dont stick out like white tie on black hose. Next if a part doesn't look like new remove it clean it, paint it so it does look like new. Make sure anything that you add looks like it's suppose to be there or you can't see it. One other thing too much of a good thing is not always good , such is the case with armorall. Also look for things that can be improved or replaced with something from a different car that would clean up the look of that part. Like using the bonniville tail lights on the Fino, much better than what came with the kit. Use all the same type of hose clamps and face them the same way. Also try and find a better way of supporting your hood when it's open. Hope this helps most is general info that could be applied to any car or area of a car.

[This message has been edited by Fiero STS (edited 07-31-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Fiero STS (edited 07-31-2003).]

2.8-4spd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.8-4spdSend a Private Message to 2.8-4spdDirect Link to This Post
I think every body just about coverd it all I think Kameo Kid had some real good points about the "theme" of your car using the same colors through out. What you can pull of your engine and paint, polish or chrome I would, Not saying I would want to, but you may want to pull the engine to do the ultimate job. For the trunk I would take it to a trim shop and have them do it the same color of your interior, with carpet not the vinyl. I also think it would look real sharp if you had a custom trunk cover made. I would have a panel made that fit snug into the lip of the trunk, then you could have Fino embrodied into it, or you could have the same snake embrodied into it. Keep up the good work
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
The only reason I painted the exhaust shields blue was because of the wires. I was so sick of red by that time anything would be better than red. All of the shields at the back of the engine and cooler pipes were red. When I got the intake and valve covers the only color I could get quick was red, soooo be it. Between Auburn and the 20th I did not have time to be GREAT. I was trying to just make it clean and detailed. But a 5 out of 10 points just because of the color I picked?

I like all the sugestions and over the winter I can make better changes to the car. The car took 8 months to finish, now I can look more into detail.

After the 20th I feel the car is a just piece of crap. I did take LAST place at the show.

EDIT: If you see my judging sheet you would know why, the engine and trunk is not all of it. The body, upholstery, dash, glass, carpet, paint and tire compartment----all bad.

Ed

Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

The only reason I painted the exhaust shields blue was because of the wires. I was so sick of red by that time anything would be better than red. All of the shields at the back of the engine and cooler pipes were red. When I got the intake and valve covers the only color I could get quick was red, soooo be it. Between Auburn and the 20th I did not have time to be GREAT. I was trying to just make it clean and detailed. But a 5 out of 10 points just because of the color I picked?

I like all the sugestions and over the winter I can make better changes to the car. The car took 8 months to finish, now I can look more into detail.

After the 20th I feel the car is a just piece of crap. I did take LAST place at the show.

Ed

Well Ed, the post after my last one covered anything i missed. details to the max... change the blue and route all wiring and conduit neatly..

I don't use much if any amour-all on my motor just clean it.. but your car calls for something Different because the car is so different. I try to go for a clean and trick look.. i'm always going through all kinds of Hot Rod, and sport compact, truck'in, street rod magazines for ideas... if you really want to see some Best of Show engines take a look here.. http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ big bucks but you can get some ideas for yours..

[This message has been edited by Kameo Kid (edited 07-31-2003).]

Lambykin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LambykinSend a Private Message to LambykinDirect Link to This Post
Don't be too hard on yourself - look at this as a learning experience. I haven't even started to detail my engine & engine bay yet, and I've already picked up some useful tips & ideas from reading this thread.

Maybe I should post some pics of what I have to deal with - maybe then you won't feel your car is a piece of crap. I've got a VERY long road ahead of me as far as detailing is concerned (it hasn't been touched in 9 years!!). You've got more than half the battle won. I don't think I'll ever put my car in a show to be judged, but I do want it to look somewhat decent - I am faced with having to drop the entire works just to get at the engine to remove the gunk on it...

You've got a good car - and it's not like you're starting from a wreck you salvaged from a boneyard. Were you happy with your car before the judging? If you are proud of your work, and YOU know you have done well, then that is all that really matters when it comes down to it.

PFF
System Bot
Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambykin:

Don't be too hard on yourself - look at this as a learning experience. I haven't even started to detail my engine & engine bay yet, and I've already picked up some useful tips & ideas from reading this thread.

You've got a good car - and it's not like you're starting from a wreck you salvaged from a boneyard. Were you happy with your car before the judging? If you are proud of your work, and YOU know you have done well, then that is all that really matters when it comes down to it.

yes i think that Ed has a very nice car and it just needs "tweaked" a little.. I think that next year we will see more of Ed's hard work..

I know there is room for improvment on my car and that will be addressed this winter.. I just hope that you saw this as being helpful and some good advise to help you get you car to it's best. (if not just say so and i'll keep my nit-picking to myself )

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2003 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
OK these are just things I would do.
(Remember, it's all personal preference)

I would personally get rid of the blue on the heat shields. and change the wire looms to blue. I would paint the EGR base, Y-pipe and exhaust manifolds with POR-20 in bright aluminum. (high temp version of POR-15) You could even paint the heat shields the same. The red/black/silver with highlights of blue theme is how you should approach it. The best looking engines are ones that blend with the surroundings. Like the Blue, red, and yellow engines shown in other posts, They use the bright color as the highlight. When you start using multiple bright colors on different large items, the engine compartment starts to look "busy" from an astetic (sp?) point of view. It's not so much the actual colors, but rather the way you have them now makes the engine compartment seem cluttered.

Also simple things like an EGR cover and re-arranging the routing of the spark plug wires
simular to Fiero38SC and Kameo Kid have theirs helps to make things appear neat and tidy. Usually when I look over a car, the color isn't the issue it's how things are organized. If you look at Kameo Kid's engine he's using the chrome and yellow for most things and red as an offset. You of course would use the blue like he uses the red.

It's not that your color choice bad, I think you just need to organize how things are arranged.

As for the trunk, You probably would do better with black carpet than with vinyl. The only reason is the vinyl is very shiny and reflects light at different angles. This shows all the little contours of the metal and doesn't give it an "even" look. At the very least, I would look at putting an edge on the top. Either a rubber edge or if you want to stay with the vinyl, maybe make a tube about 1" diameter and line the edge. Actually, thinking a little more about it, I think it would look very sharp if you made an insert in the trunk of either fiberboard or fiberglass (one that would drop inside the trunk) Then take it to an upohlstery shop and have them do a padded diamond pleat with the black vinyl and they could roll the top edge in a 1" edge to fit the trunk edge. This way you won't have flat shiny surfaces and the variance in contours would be more subdued. This would look simular to how some people do the walls in the rumble seats of some hotrods and the sleeper cabs in semi trucks. It would give the trunk a very clean but finished look. Also if you made the fiberglass insert, You could mold it around the CD changer and make a little door on top to access it. So the entire trunk would look even. (Damn I'm really liking the diamond pleat idea more and more )

Overall, I think your on the right track, just a little more organization and you would have a very sharp looking engine/trunk area to match the already great looking outside.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 08-01-2003).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2003 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
For me, what really stood out were the exhaust manifolds and the routing of the plug wires.
I'd have the manifolds and Y-pipe thermal coated. If you do that you can probably even lose the heat shields if you want. Although they do add a "finished" look to the engine.
I'd also route the plug wires as nearly parallel as possible.
I noticed that the corrugated plastic wrap around the harness looks like there is some dust or dirt between the ridges. (Maybe?) It's easy to miss if you're accustomed to seeing your engine every day.
The last thing I'll nit pick are the black metal parts on the engine. Stuff like the lifting ring in the third pic. It looks like it may have a film on it, or may just be rusty. Perhaps it's just the angle of the camera.
I don't even have an issue with the EGR, although a cover would be cool, too.

Anyway... You asked us to nit pick. That's all I can find.
Nice car!

------------------
Raydar

88 3.4 coupe. 17s, cut springs 'n all.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-01-2003).]

Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2003 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
First thing first, Ed you've done a great job getting the engine where it is now. I remember what it looked like when you were building the car up. It's come a long ways, don't be discouraged.

IMO the blue looks clean but doesn't go with the "theme" as Kameo said it, if it's something you like then don't change it. The red intake plenium and valve covers look great but if you ever re-do them you have to paint them the same color as the car, maybe incorporate the phantom flames somehow. That color is awesome and carrying that onto the engine would look sharp.

I'm not big on colored wire loom but I see where it can work with certain themes. Reason I don't like colored loom is I don't like to see wires at all. Route your spark plugs like Fiero38SC did, notice he wired them under the plenium, do that and it will look much better without the blue crossing over the red plenium. Run the MAP sensor wire (w/green plug) under the throttle cables so the black doesn't cross over and tie the throttle cables together with red wireties like Kameo did.

Get an EGR cover and paint the base of the EGR & tube and block below it black, silver or blue.

A friend gave me the battery cover from his late model S-10. See if you can get one.

For the trunk, I'd try to use black carpet material. Paint the latch hook black or paint it silver and make a "billet" piece out of aluminum sheet with a slot cut into it to go over the latch to finish it.

I like the idea Orief had for making a fiberglass insert to drop in and glue the carpeting to. If you go that route then email me I've got an idea how it could be done.

------------------

T-T-F-N, Ta Ta For Now!
Tigger's Fiero Page

[This message has been edited by Tigger (edited 08-01-2003).]

Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2003 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post
Other touch ups.

Get gaskets from somewhere. Above is from McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com use something like #27.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2003 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2749Click Here to visit 2749's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2749Direct Link to This Post
Hi Ed:
This is what's so nice about MOST people, they are willing to share ideas even if you are tough competition!!!

I have not spent very much on my engine and trunk compartment at all. I make sure it is clean, tidy and all the materials look like they would appear on a production car ... even gaps and proper moldings.

I have to spot clean it just before the judging. I especially make sure that all the black is really black and not too shiny. I think too much Armor All detracts from the look. Even my plenum is very plain but it has a clean look about it.

I think you just have to look at the fine details rather than adding too much that can attract attention to a weakness. Now, if you take any of my suggestions it will mean I will have to work harder next show.

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2003 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2749:

Hi Ed:
This is what's so nice about MOST people, they are willing to share ideas even if you are tough competition!!!

I have not spent very much on my engine and trunk compartment at all. I make sure it is clean, tidy and all the materials look like they would appear on a production car ... even gaps and proper moldings.

I have to spot clean it just before the judging. I especially make sure that all the black is really black and not too shiny. I think too much Armor All detracts from the look. Even my plenum is very plain but it has a clean look about it.

I think you just have to look at the fine details rather than adding too much that can attract attention to a weakness. Now, if you take any of my suggestions it will mean I will have to work harder next show.

If I were to have done this would I have got more than 5 out of 10? The engine is spotless. It was completly remover from the engine compartment and all insulation removed and complete compartment painted black.

Ed

------------------
Fino www.edstephens.com

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2003 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

813 posts
Member since Jan 2002
How about this.

Come on the blue heat shields were at least clean .

Can I have more than 5 now.

EDIT: I have to go and take some time out to get DRUNK

Please
Ed

------------------
Fino www.edstephens.com

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 08-01-2003).]

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2003 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to add my two cents. When I installed my engine I wanted it to appear as if it was a factory engine. I only used the same chrome plentum bolts from a 2.8 but other than that and the dogbone my engine looks stock although far from it. I got a 10 on my engine compartment as well. No real eye candy. No colored loom. No theme. But it was clean.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.
History of Skitimes Car UPDATED 6-20-03

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock