Started on: 11-09-2003 09:15 AM
Replies: 25
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 11-18-2003 11:02 AM
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2003 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
For those interested, I will be attending a driving school on November 15th at Gateway International Raceway weather permitting. It is an all day event and after the instructors check us checked us out (intermediate class) we will be free to drive at SPEED! Should be some great photo ops. Lots of other cars will attend as well from Porsches to a '65 Superformance Cobra (my friend Jim) to full race cars. The expert class (racecars) will be allowed to run at race speed.
We will be on the 1.6 mile road corse inside and on the oval. This time, I'll have an in-car cam! Should make for some good video.
The drivers meeting is at 8:00 am, but there will be almost 5 hours of seat time for my class (I have been told). That means showing up in the middle of the day works too. For me it will be for stretching her wings and making chassis adjustments.
If you want to check out a Fiero running at 130+, this would be a good time. I know I'm excited!

.........WEATHER PERMITTING......... (naturally)

------------------
Paul

From right to left: Quick, Fast, and INSANE!

[This message has been edited by R Runner (edited 11-09-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
you know me, i always wanna check out your car

Where is this track located?

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
The track is in St. Louis just east of the river (okay, not really St. Louis because it is in MO.)
It should be very cool. Right now the weather is concerning me. They are calling for 50F and 30% chance of rain. I can handle 50F, my problem is the rain.
I told my daughter about your proposal (marrige ) and she just looked at me. Might want to giver her time, she IS only 5 weeks old. Sorry, son-in-laws don't get to drive really fast cars.
Thanks for responding, I thought no one even noticed the post.

Paul

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

R Runner

3691 posts
Member since Feb 2003
fieromadman

Check your PM's

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
Check your pm's too buddy, and i think that my girlfriend would be jealous if she knew

At least your daughter didnt say no

"bump"

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Puck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PuckClick Here to visit Puck's HomePageSend a Private Message to PuckDirect Link to This Post
Paul

i will be there bro

i wanna see that bad boy run

Adam

------------------

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Well,

The weather is not looking good. I will be there even if it rains, but may be setting in the trailer all day. If there is a hope of the track drying out, I will give it a shot. With a damp track, I think the risk is too high for the minimal gain. They are calling for a 30 to 50% chance of rain. If you don't get to see it run, I KNOW you will get to HEAR it run.
Not much of a 2nd prize, I know.

Thank you for the support!

Paul

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
The same thing happened to me this past summer. I was asked to pace a Nascar race in my Indy which was quite an honor. But good old mother nature stepped in and we got rained out. I was asked back to pace a few other races later in the season to try and make up for not getting to pace the big Nascar one, and sadly each weekend I was scheduled to pace, it would rain. What a crappy summer we had for weather. At least they are looking at trying to fit me in again for one next year, so there is always hope

Good luck with your adventure. Hopefully the rain will hold off for you.

Steve

------------------

Now over 480!! pics of our fleet of Pontiac excitement: http://www.cardomain.com/id/fiero5

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Steve,

I saw your ride at the 20th and took some video. I think THEY are the ones who missed out. The lights are killer.
I really want to run. I just built a front air dam that sets about 2" off the ground for some aerodynamic effect at the track. Reliable sources say I should be able to get as high as 160mph at the end of the main straight. Let's hope the weather is good!

Paul

Doug Chase

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure you're having fun today, Paul.

Let us know how it went.

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom roll cage and exhaust fabrication

PFF
System Bot
Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Doug Chase

1487 posts
Member since Sep 2001
Oops, got my days mixed up.

What I really meant was "Have fun tomorrow and let us know how it went." Yeah, that's what I meant.

Doug

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Doug, good to here from you.

I completed preping the car today (naturally). What do you think about the new airdam?

Paul

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Nice!

Godspeed, RRunner!

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-14-2003 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Say Paul, what do you think it would take to get that street legal?

JazzMan

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
lots of duct tape!

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
And a really strong clutch foot.......

Paul

Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

I completed preping the car today (naturally). What do you think about the new airdam?

I understand completely, and so does everybody that owns a race car. It looks nice. That'll probably help your top end a lot. Does it allow enough air to the radiator?

How did the track day go?

Doug

Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

Reliable sources say I should be able to get as high as 160mph at the end of the main straight.
Paul

I hope there isn't a dip at the end of that, before turn #1. Otherwise it may look something like someone else did here on the forum. All in good fun, atleast after you clean out your pants.

I'll be looking for some stats.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero38SC:
I hope there isn't a dip at the end of that, before turn #1. Otherwise it may look something like someone else did here on the forum. All in good fun, atleast after you clean out your pants.

LOL You don't even have time to even think about crapping your pants, you're too relaxed watching the slow motion effects happening right in front of you, and it all happens in under 3 seconds.

I had a bet on the side with Track Officials at Waterford, that I could pass 2 cars on the short straight, hit 100mph by the end of the short straight, and still make the turn!

I lost! But it was a very valuable lesson with little expense envolved, except pride for a few hours. Certainly could have been much worse at the speed I was traveling.

My advise to anyone getting into Road Course Racing (aside from Performance Driving Classes and Books), is to spend a lot of time on the track (couple of weekends) running laps, before you start to explore the limitations of the car. A 'short track' with a fast car is like trying to play a game of chess with only a few seconds between moves, only alot more demanding.

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
So, how did it go? Did you get rained out or did it at least stay away just long enough for you to show everyone what a Fiero can do?

Steve

PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
The first track day with my IMSA..........

Well, the air dam worked fine, but was a bit two low and didn't seem to help much, but I really didn't have much to compare it too. The first run was a "follow the leader" run and even at low speeds, the car was very shifty. I decided that there was no way I could drive at high speed like this. I adjusted the tow in slightly for the 2nd run hoping to make it more stable. No dice. I then started thinking and talking to other road racers. If I didn't get it figured out, I was going to call it a day because it was to dangerous. With some help I decided that it was the caster setting I used. After some (god, I can't believe I did this) "manual" alignment guessing, I was ready to try it again. We had an opportunity to take passengers for a follow-along (low speed). I had the car set up by then and I took her out. Much better! Still needed work, but a serious step in the right direction. I made another adjustment and went out for the 4th session. This was the first time I had really gotten to drive her as I had intened from the design. True road race course. I drove within my limits and still was eating up pretty much everything except some of the Vipers which were "faster" due to seat time and experience with their car. During the 5th session, I pushed a little and had some minor "mishaps". I blew through turn 1 once (straight onto the oval) due to too much straight-away speed (about 140). The other I lost in turn 2 and had to put her in the grass. No damage. Fortunately I had taken off the air dam (which was well worn by this time) before the session.
I cracked the windshield due to stress (bolted it on too tight) and found several other minor issues. Also due to my "emergency alignment" the tires were worn on the inside 50%. Fortunately I could still see dimples. I think things went well for damp and 46 deg. F. My consistant top speed down the straight was about 135 mph. For comparison, A friend of mine in a 500hp Superperformance Cobra going the same speed in the previous curve could hit 110 mph.
LOTS of potential in this car and withthe proper set up, I think a maximum speed of 145 to 150 is possible. Factor in some better skills, more tire contact, and the proper alignment (WOW that would really help!). Oh yea, and a higher front air dam.
I have lots of video, but am still working on formatting. In Car It isn't as impressive while watching it on camera.
No lap times. We were discouraged to do this and I was constantly behind slower cars. There was never one clean lap.
I promise to post images some time this week and hopefully some short videos if I can find a host (hint, hint )

------------------
Paul

From right to left: Quick, Fast, and INSANE!

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you had some fun mixed with a little frustration Paul! It's all part of the learning curve to setting the car up for a track, I'm sure it was time very well spent. Looking forward to future posts on your car.

Tom

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Not too frustrating. I am very happy with the potential in both myself and the car. Thank you Tom! On a side note, I get to see the C6 on Wednesday in Bowling Green. (Checking out fascia fit.)
Here are some pictures of the track day....

Paul

Roylmohr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RoylmohrSend a Private Message to RoylmohrDirect Link to This Post
I love it that car looks at home on the track. Thanks for all your hard work you are an inspiration for all other Fiero racers!
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Great pics! I'm glad to hear that you're finally out there running the car like you intended to.

You may want to check with Boomtastic and see if he can help you host a video or two!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock