Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  PFF Members, Red&Black or Black&Black (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
PFF Members, Red&Black or Black&Black by Wholf
Started on: 12-20-2003 10:06 AM
Replies: 40
Last post by: Wholf on 12-22-2003 08:47 AM
Wholf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to decide what color to paint my labor of love this spring. I originally was going with Ferrari Red, but I am now leaning toward black. What do you all think? If you would like to see more pictures you can check out one of the following three links. Thanks PFF members .
http://www.fastfieros.com/projects/harold.htm
http://www.tekchip.com/ferrari/diary_hw/diary.asp
http://www.texasfieros.com/members/haroldw/haroldw.htm

------------------
Harold
308 Rebody on 85GT Chassis
Custom 2000 Firebird Interior
3800SC 3.4 Pulley w/WCF Headers & Reprogrammed PCM
Complete Suspension & Brake Upgrade

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
I love red but it's been done so many times, black is pretty common to but black would be my choice. Thought about any other colors?

------------------

http://www.geocities.com/fierorulz/fieropage.html

DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroDirect Link to This Post
Everyone with a Ferrari generally does or thinks of red, I think a real high gloss black would look great IMHO. (although I am partial to a bright yellow!!!)

Car looks great by the way!!!

Dan

------------------

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I don't think Ferraris come in any color other than red...that's why you think of red and Ferrari. Red always has been and always will be the most popular car color. I vote red, (past owner of 6 red cars)
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I too would vote for Yellow or even white.
Black will stay dirty all the time and red is over done.

Originally posted by DanFiero:

Everyone with a Ferrari generally does or thinks of red, I think a real high gloss black would look great IMHO. (although I am partial to a bright yellow!!!)

Car looks great by the way!!!

Dan

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 12-20-2003).]

RTNmsds

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post
Here's a pic of my Mera for you to visualize from. I think black-on-black is simply bad-to-the-bone .

Your ride looks absolutely awesome. Appears you did an outstanding job, and you were wise to keep a pictorial diary of the work-up too. That will become quite a nice keepsake.

Let's see - back to colors...

Red = standard Ferrari
Yellow = stand-out Ferrari
Black = bad a$$ Ferrari
Silver = practical Ferrari

Oppinions are like (insert word here), everybody has one. Seriously, paint it the color YOU want. If you want a red Ferraro, then make it red.

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Red Ferraris-----Ferrari Red----They go hand and hand. You see them all the time. My 88GT is red. I think red IS sports car, so that is why I would pick a nice DARK BLUE.
RTNmsds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post
Harold,

I just went through the links again, and looks like maybe you had already decided to go red in the first place. The interior is crying for the body to be red. Stay the course. Paint it red.

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I like the red,but they usually have paint samples on the wall or in a book to look at the paint shop.I hear black cars can get really hot in the summer time unless you happen to live in Canada.Have you considered adding Pearl?Pearl comes in lots of diffrent colors.
Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. RTNMsds, your car looks sharp, and you are correct about the original color I had planned. But it is looking at your car and James' car at http://www.tekchip.com/ferrari/fiero_fusion.asp that really makes me think of going black. I think black would go good with the interior also. If I go red it will take a whole lot more money and time, but with the money I have invested in this so far, that doesn't reall come into play.
Jake_Dragon, thanks for the preview, it is a shame there is no shine from my primer coat. I do like the red though. But thumbs down on the blue, I spent 14 years in the AirForce, and honestly I grew to dislike blue on any of my vehicles. I have until this spring to make up my mind, and if I do go with red I do not know if it will really be Ferrari red. There is a lot of different reds out there for the pickings, kind of like the red on SkiTimes car.
Thanks again
Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Wholf

379 posts
Member since Mar 2003
RTNMsds, sweet ride, what rims are you running on your MERA? I am not keeping the original Chromadora rims I have on it right now. The back tires do not come out far enough and throws the whole look of the car off. I want some "meat" under there, but I do not want to go with spacers, or adapters if possible. Do you have anymore pictures of your car or a link so I could look at them?

------------------
Harold

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
From far left field...

Medium to dark silver.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe.

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

RTNmsds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post
Here you go. Take your pick...

If you do go red, I really like the black accent stripe down the side body indent like this ....

Jake & JB7 are correct. Black is a pain in the butt to keep up. Plan on washing the car once a week and after every rain. Yes it is hot in the summer, especially with the sun baking you thru the T-tops - but that's why God made A/C .

Originally posted by Wholf:

...what rims are you running on your MERA? I am not keeping the original Chromadora rims I have on it right now. The back tires do not come out far enough and throws the whole look of the car off. I want some "meat" under there, but I do not want to go with spacers, or adapters if possible.

You need to get rims with a different offset so you can widen the stance a bit. My rims aren't what you want either. They are 16" Koenig Reigns. I am seriously considering dropping the car an inch or so to help fill up the wheel wells, but that won't do much for the "meat factor". Tires in the picture were 225/50-16 front, 245/50-16 back Kumo Ecsta's. Currently I have 225/50-16 BF Goodrich T/A are the way around (only 245's around here were Michelin but they scrubbed in the back, so went BFG - better tire in my oppinion).

Hey... If you sell those Cromadora's, I want a shot at buying them please.

Back to topic... the Koenig Reign's don't have the right offset to take on the tire necessary to fill the wheel well. Here's a great site I've found for looking at rims/tire combos. Oh and BTW - THEY HAVE FIERO INTERACTIVE DIAGRAMS FOR VIEWING RIMS / TIRES ON THE CAR. Here's the link...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/interactive/tmpInteractive.jsp

Don't know if this view of my Mera will help you more or not. Still with the Kumo's, but a bit different angle.

Later,
Bob

[This message has been edited by RTNmsds (edited 12-20-2003).]

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
If you dont like the viper blue I had, then its got to be black.

Loyde

furious_fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 232
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for furious_fieroSend a Private Message to furious_fieroDirect Link to This Post
Do YELLOW! Yellow looks soooo good on Ferraris!
88fierogt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fierogt123Send a Private Message to 88fierogt123Direct Link to This Post
here is a yellow one

SLAMMED87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLAMMED87GTSend a Private Message to SLAMMED87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RTNmsds:

Stay the course.

"On track, stay the course, a thousand points of light.....stay the course."

Paint it BLACK. I've had 3 black ones and 3 red ones so I guess it's a non-bias opinion. Well, I really do like black better.

------------------
'87GT Fully modded, 3" Drop on 17's 3800SC on the way....or a turbo
'92 LeBaron soft top, The Players car. :)

fieros only

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post
Well the census seems to be black . I don't mind the washing and polishing of a black paint job, and hopefully I will find the little leak in my A/C, so the heat factor won't be that bad. Sorry about the blue Loyde, but there is no way that interior would go with any color of blue. Could you imagine if the red was replaced with blue though. That would look pretty good, you should keep that in mind for your new project. Maybe someone out here could photoshop one of the interior pictures for you. like this one, and make the red blue.

Bob, it looks like your rear rims could come out a little bit also, but what makes mine even worse is the GrandAm brake package on the front, which makes my front stick out more, than the rear. As far as selling the Chromadora's, I have a friend that I promised to give first bite at. If for some reason he backs out, I will be open to offers. It will be tires and rims, and the tires are almost new.
I have a quote from a local Tire dealer here in town that I bought rims for on my 86Gt, which I really like. He said the front would set out the same with a little lower tire height running 215/55R16's and he would put 245/50R16's on the rear, which would put them where they need to be. I believe Rodney Dickman is running 245's on the rear of his Mera and they look like they belong there.

------------------
Harold

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Wholf

379 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by furious_fiero:

Do YELLOW! Yellow looks soooo good on Ferraris!

I agree with you... Yellow looks real sweet, especially on the 308. However with all the work I did on the interior(and still more to go), yellow would not be my first choice to go with my color scheme.
Red, silver, white, or black would be the only way to go. But I am very partial to red and black especially for a sports car. I like the way black looks on any car especially if it is a good paint job. I still haven't decided if I am going to shoot it with Base Coat/ Clear Coat, or Acrylic Enamel. I like the flexability in acrylic enamel, but it has been a while since I shot a car using it. You pretty much shoot the shine, and I used to be good at it. I have a few other people wanting me to paint there cars for them(black), so I guess I could use them as practice before I shoot mine.

------------------
Harold

isthiswhereiputausername?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
Nice buildup

Maybe someone out here could photoshop one of the interior pictures for you. like this one, and make the red blue.

Heres what it would have looked like with the blue interior.

[This message has been edited by isthiswhereiputausername? (edited 12-20-2003).]

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post
Damn you guys are good with that software, thanks,,, Do you see this Loyde, maybe a little lighter, but it puts the idea across . That would of looked sweet in that blue GT you sold.

------------------
Harold

PFF
System Bot
88fierogt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fierogt123Send a Private Message to 88fierogt123Direct Link to This Post
Where did you get the lights inthe back for reverse lights?
Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88fierogt123:

Where did you get the lights inthe back for reverse lights?

Junk Yard! If I remember correctly they came off the older model Eclipse. I just went and walked around the salvage yards until I found something that I thought would look good back there. My friend at http://www.tekchip.com/ferrari/fiero_fusion.asp put his in the rear bumper. I looked and looked but could not find anything close enough to fit in the rear bumper. Are you still in the building stage of your kit? I replied to your other post https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036571.html

------------------
Harold

SLAMMED87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLAMMED87GTSend a Private Message to SLAMMED87GTDirect Link to This Post

If I remember correctly they came off the older model Eclipse.

Yup! Those are 90-94 Eclipse/Laser/Talon reversed lights. She be pretty easy to find. BTW, you car is looking GREAT! How much time have you put into it? When it's painted, OH boy, it's gonna be PIMP.

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is a picture of my Formula. It is painted Ferrari Red, I dont think there is any other color of Red that is as vibrant and bright as this one.

-Amir

------------------

Maroon 1987 GT 5 spd: 2.8L
Ferrari Red 1988 Formula 5 spd: 3800 Series II Supercharged In & Running.....
Need any parts? Got 2 parts cars:
86GT 4spd
87 Coupe 4cyl

My Website: http://www.members.cox.net/rare88/

isthiswhereiputausername?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Damn you guys are good with that software, thanks,,, Do you see this Loyde, maybe a little lighter, but it puts the idea across . That would of looked sweet in that blue GT you sold.

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SLAMMED87GT:

BTW, you car is looking GREAT! How much time have you put into it? When it's painted, OH boy, it's gonna be PIMP.

Thank you. I started working out the details of the project last Sept or October with Loyde of FastFieros in Dallas. I received the chassis and 3800SC engine from FastFieros in late January this year. I have been working on everything else since then. I figure I am a little over half way done with it.
Rare87GT, that red is gorgeous. The reds I have seen on the actual 308's don't look that vibrant... Nice car!

------------------
Harold

88fierogt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fierogt123Send a Private Message to 88fierogt123Direct Link to This Post
Well yes and no my car is the yellow one posted earlyer. when I got it I noticed I needed to do some fiberglass repares so I pulled the front clip to do the repares correctly from the back side and noticed that it aperently had deen wrecked ion the left front so that lead to further repares. now I have the fiberglass boby completely taken off of the car and am currently basicly starting over from the begining again. the car was put together poorly from the begining. What I will probly do is pt the body on my 88gt that has practicly nothing wrong with it compared to the origimal doner a 87 w/130,000 miles.
Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

Here is a picture of my Formula. It is painted Ferrari Red, I dont think there is any other color of Red that is as vibrant and bright as this one.

-Amir

Torch red by GM is a very nice red also.. and for your project I would do that color if it were mine and giving what it is.

------------------

3.4 DOHC Turbo swap in progress

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post
I vote for Black!! That color is just sooo... Classy and Naughty at the same time.

When I repaint my GT, it will be from Red to Black.

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
My vote would be for green. "it's not easy being green" Kermit the Frog.

Go with red, nothing says Ferrari than red unless I'm playing
Project Gotham I/II then it's yellow.

toms...

PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
PINK!! ha ha ha

I have always liked GREY myself

------------------

98 3800SC GTP motor, 5sp.
custom hood,trunk,side scoops,IRM front spoiler, dk.Shadow Grey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2749Click Here to visit 2749's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2749Direct Link to This Post
I love it in black. However, I wouldn't do another car of mine in black. The upkeep is too much! Something else to consider with balck it its nasty habit of showing any flaw. Your work will have to be exceptional. Bright colors like red and yellow can actually hide flaws in the bright sunlight. I speak from experience!
Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2749:
... balck it its nasty habit of showing any flaw. Your work will have to be exceptional...

Fortunately,

Harold's body work is exceptional, and I am betting his painting skills are also great, so any color he chooses will likely look good.

--Will

[This message has been edited by Will-Martin (edited 12-21-2003).]

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

PINK!! ha ha ha

Sorry Revin no Barbi Ferrari for me, (LOL) now if I was giving it to my daughter, I might actually consider it . By the way Revin you are running the same rims I am looking at putting on this one, except no rivets(that is if those are rivets, can't really tell in the picture).
Thanks for the compliments Will, hopefully I will see you this afternoon.
As far as the body work goes, I am not worried about any flaws. I have been doing paint and body work off and on for over 20 years, and I am pretty anal when it comes to my cars.
I appreciate everyones thoughts on their choice of colors, but after seeing even more black 308's, I believe I am going to go the black on black. Now I only have to decide what type of paint to do it in. I intend to put plenty of miles on it by this spring to ensure I do not get any stress cracks in the panels, which I really don't think I will.
88FieroGt123, I feel your pain, and the only thing I can say, is once you get those panels in place, lock them down nice and firm, and try to support the heck out of them. You can get aluminum tubing and make real stout supports. I did it this way instead of using the flimsy flat pieces of aluminum mine came with. Test fit, bond them to the panel and then rivet them to the chasis(our use self tapping bolts/screws).
Thanks again everyone....

------------------
Harold

silver86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver86seSend a Private Message to silver86seDirect Link to This Post
...silver. like the old aluminum bodied racing ones..
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Just for ref. 17x7 Excel DL-46 Hyper black
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
In my opinion you cannot go wrong with red or yellow for ferrari. Black is nice for you to look at, but if you want attention I don't think it will do the job. Just my thoughts, good luck with your decision and great work on the car.

------------------
1986 Fiero SE

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post
RTNmsds... You have a PM!

------------------
Harold

RTNmsds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post
Got it! I replied back - twice. The better half didn't hesitate on me on this one at all. Got to get her something else nice for Xmas .

BTW, your wheel choice is going to show off those rotors VERY nicely. As well, if those Cromadora's do come home to rest on this Mera, then I don't think I'll do the drilled & slotted routine on my car. It would only have been for looks anyway, and it'll be hidden behind those rims.

P.S. What's the clearance on your car to the top of the frount and rear fender wells (figure this may be the best spot to do a comparison). Your car seems to be a tiny bit lower that my Mera.

[This message has been edited by RTNmsds (edited 12-21-2003).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock