Fiero fastback rear window louvers by BlueGT
Started on: 12-23-2004 09:04 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Kameo Kid on 01-06-2005 12:40 PM
BlueGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTDirect Link to This Post
In the early 90's, I happened upon a GT at a dealership with metal rear window louvers. I couldn't afford that vehicle at the time. They mounted to the roof and the decklid. It followed the slope of the fastback rear clip. When you opened the rear deck, the louvers collapsed. Does anybody have info about them? I have been looking for louvers for a while, and would like to find the ones made out of metal. If anybody has some they'd like to sell, or know where I can find them, please PM me or post.

------------------
Got Blue?

BlueGT

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Kameo Kid has the only set I know of. He looked into replicating them at one point, but concluded it would be too costly. I myself have been pulling louvers off of other cars in the junk yard and test fitting them on Fieros in the yard. The Camaro/Firebird ones are too narrow because the window curves, so they have a three piece louver set up. I'm trying to find some louvers off an 80s Mustang now since it had a flat window. Hopefully, they'll be wide enough. Then I just have to figure out how to mount them on the car and make them go up and down with the trunk.
Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2004 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post
yeah to recreate them is very costly. I have most of the leg work done but the ability to get their worth on the market negates further efforts to reproduce them. So good luck in efforts to find any, i'm sure there are some out there somewhere.

------------------

still plays with cars..

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2004 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Kameo

Do you have any pictures of the mechanism? I can't seem to figure out in my head how it works so that the louvers lift up with the decklid so they don't hit.

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2004 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
that has got to be the coolest look on a GT. i would love to put a set on my GT, but it would cover up my decklid window, so i wouldnt do it, i like the window too much.

------------------

1985 Pontiac Fiero 2.5 SE, 220,500 Currently a bare stripped frame devoid of all interior parts, and most exterior pannels, being driven daily!
more pics of my 85 are here
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 141,500 miles! decklid window, silver guages.
More pics of my 87 GT can be found here

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

BlueGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2004 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting the pic Kameo! If you have the chance, post a few pics of them and how those work. Maybe I could get an idea of how to build a set. I know I've asked about louvers before, but it seems as if it's just one of those things that won't go away until I find/make a set. I still feel bad about not being able to get the car I saw over a decade ago. It was a white GT with louvers very much like those.

------------------
Got Blue?

BlueGT

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2004 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Astra Hammond still sells plastic and aluminium louvers for many cars. Pictured is 84-95 Corvette
http://www.performancedepot.com/category_search.html?partnumber=1412&page=80&limit=10&compid=99999&YMM=&reorder=&sort=&dealer=no&engine_id=&&brand_id=101346&year_model_id=&price_id =ASC&category_id=&distributor_id=no

They may have made Fiero louvers in the past. In any event, they may have a louver that's the correct size and you'd only have to build the mounting mechanism.

I believe Willpak Industries manufactures these, or can direct you http://www.willpak.com/

------------------
Fiero Fiesta - July 24, 2005 - Calgary, Alberta <--- click this LINK

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

Devotshka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2004 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DevotshkaSend a Private Message to DevotshkaDirect Link to This Post
JCWhitney has had one listed available (for notchbacks only though) for as long as i can remember. I don't know of anyone thats tried it out, however.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-231821/mediaCode-ZX/appId-433779

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2004 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
I've only seen one other set besides Kameo Kid's, and that was on a local 88 GT. The guy that owned the car bought it new, and bought the louvers shortly afterwards. He said he THOUGHT he got them from JC Whitney, but as it was so long ago, he couldn't remember for sure. Perhaps you could contact JC Whitney, explain that you're trying to find a set, and see if they can scare up the name of the manufacturer. Perhaps they could be persuaded to make up some new sets...
BlueGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2004 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTDirect Link to This Post
It would be nice if they could be persuaded to make some... I'll look into these leads. Thanks guys! +'s going out to you guys. If anybody else has any info, please post. I still wish I could've gotten a set when they were still availiable. I think they look great on a fastback.

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Promise to share anything you find!
PFF
System Bot
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTDirect Link to This Post
Kameo is there a name or part # on yours?
Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad GT:

Kameo is there a name or part # on yours?

Nope...

BlueGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTDirect Link to This Post
I'll post as soon as I can find anything... Seems like the info is scarce. In the meantime, the info search is still on.

BlueGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2005 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTDirect Link to This Post
Still looking/researching.

mtncrasher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2005 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtncrasherSend a Private Message to mtncrasherDirect Link to This Post
They do look pretty good on Kameo Kids car. Most cars I see them on don't look right. Alot of the VW Sciroccos (spelling?) have these on them and they are flat windows. You could try to find some of them in the junk yards. One question though, do these serve any use to a vehicle? I have never understood the point of these things. Giving the back seat shade is my only guess, am I correct?
Golden86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2005 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post
kinda on the same note, do they make louver style GT quarter windows?

------------------

fiero_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_gtSend a Private Message to fiero_gtDirect Link to This Post
Kameo Kid, always wondered what the view from out of the back window look liked with it on. Any chance you can take a picture of it?

Ron

------------------

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
on a GT I believe they would actually smooth out the airflow and increase the suction from the engine bay... one way to tell would be the old white string test.. Kameo.. feel like havin some fun ?
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Devotshka:

JCWhitney has had one listed available (for notchbacks only though) for as long as i can remember. I don't know of anyone thats tried it out, however.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-231821 /mediaCode-ZX/appId-433779

I've seen this one installed, it sits flat to the rear window glass and is held in place with velcro right on the glass for easy removal and window cleaning and it's made of ABS plastic I believe.

I was 50/50 on how it looked, effectivly canceled most of the vision out the back, good excuse to loose the rear view mirror though

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero_gt:
Kameo Kid, always wondered what the view from out of the back window look liked with it on. Any chance you can take a picture of it?
Ron

No not at this time, the GT is not all together at this time but the closest thing i can show or tell you is think THICK defroster lines, that is about all the obstruction you have.

Originally posted by Kohburn:
on a GT I believe they would actually smooth out the airflow and increase the suction from the engine bay... one way to tell would be the old white string test.. Kameo.. feel like havin some fun ?

This are my thoughts on this too but i have never put it to the test. I plan on getting some footage on tape of this when i do get the chance but the GT ain't coming out of the garage for quite some time now do to the nasty thing called winter.

Originally posted by mtncrasher:
They do look pretty good on Kameo Kids car. Most cars I see them on don't look right. Alot of the VW Sciroccos (spelling?) have these on them and they are flat windows. You could try to find some of them in the junk yards. One question though, do these serve any use to a vehicle? I have never understood the point of these things. Giving the back seat shade is my only guess, am I correct?

Glad you like them on the GT. And yes sir you are correct, the reason I like them on the GT is to give shade to the backseat. but seriously that is the reason, they were for looks, to give the vehicle a racer look and to give shade to the parsel shelve area including the rear seat.

------------------

still plays with cars..

[This message has been edited by Kameo Kid (edited 01-06-2005).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay