Hood Scoops by dmancheno
Started on: 06-14-2006 12:24 AM
Replies: 21
Last post by: madcurl on 07-18-2006 01:17 PM
dmancheno

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dmanchenoSend a Private Message to dmanchenoDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know where I can get a hood scoop similar to Norms and how complicated would it be to add to the Fiero stock hood?

Norms
http://www.normsfiberglass.com/homeone.jpg

Honda/Acura NSX
http://norm302.forzacentral.com/photos/2004-Honda-NSX-R.jpg

Venturi 600 LM
http://www.fa-automobile.com/photos/orig_3088.jpg
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3800Click Here to visit fierogt3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierogt3800Direct Link to This Post
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Here is the Norman hood. It has not been made for years but shows what can be done with a stock style hood.

larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
You can try: http://www.tornadosportscars.com/Performance/Performance.html
They're a British company, but it looks the most like Norm's hood vent.

------------------
Lee

http://www.fierocountry.us
'88'88 Formula
'86 Sports Coupe
'03 Mustang

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
Here is the Norman hood. It has not been made for years but shows what can be done with a stock style hood.

Humina humina! I found the perfect Fiero front end for me! You say this is no longer available?

------------------

For the latest and coolest Fiero and Pennocks apparel and accessories, please visit Fiero Lives Online

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Dman
There has been some discussion on here as to different ways of doing that look and if your fairly good with fiberglass work one way was to buy a stock scoop like a mopar 6-pack fiberglass hood
scoop from JC Whitney, turn it upside down and mould it into the hood. One big consideration is the bulkhead that is between the sparetire well and where the radiator goes because there is not much room, only a few inches and if you get a scoop too big you will have to modify that bulkhead.
Mike
dmancheno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dmanchenoSend a Private Message to dmanchenoDirect Link to This Post
Thanks fierogt3800 but the warberhood is not agressive and besides it's been about 4 weeks and I'm still waiting on my rocker panels from him .

hyperv6 Thats it! Thats what I'm looking for. I contacted Norm about a month ago if he would sell the hood scoop only (n/a) but he never mention he use to have a complete hood. That looks 100% more agressive (better) then the Warberhood. Any more pics?

larini74 thanks that what I'm looking for too.

TXGOOD Thanks for the info. I read on some of the Rice forums about turning the hood scoop up sidedown. Man but Normas would be great!

F-I-E-R-O I agree with you that hood is SUPER! I don't understand why some people install intake hoods scoops on there Fiero when you need to take the air out from under the hood.

Now I will need to bug Norm again. I like his complete front end but I wish it didn't have the headlights. I think those headlight just change the look of the Fiero way too much. I like the Venturi headlight style.

http://www.fa-automobile.com/photos/orig_3092.jpg
http://www.fa-automobile.com/photos/orig_3090.jpg
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Check out this link: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/065990.html

You can contact the person who built the vent to find out how he got it, cuz I think he may have made it, but not sure......

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dmancheno:
hyperv6 Thats it! Thats what I'm looking for. I contacted Norm about a month ago if he would sell the hood scoop only (n/a) but he never mention he use to have a complete hood. That looks 100% more agressive (better) then the Warberhood. Any more pics?

Just for clarification, you do understand that "Norm's" front clip & the "Norman" hood are 2 separate people/things? Norm (of Norm's fiberglass) produces the entire front clip that you posted. The Hood vent on HyperV6's car (I too love that car every time I see it) - was actually designed by John Norman (as in the owner of "Obsession") and was sold through FOCOA. HyperV6's is the only one I can recall seeing as of late... I'd still like to see a decent replica or replacement made for these
fierogt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3800Click Here to visit fierogt3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierogt3800Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Just for clarification, you do understand that "Norm's" front clip & the "Norman" hood are 2 separate people/things? Norm (of Norm's fiberglass) produces the entire front clip that you posted. The Hood vent on HyperV6's car (I too love that car every time I see it) - was actually designed by John Norman (as in the owner of "Obsession") and was sold through FOCOA. HyperV6's is the only one I can recall seeing as of late... I'd still like to see a decent replica or replacement made for these

im interested im making a similar hood, if someone could post the demenions ill give it a shot

------------------
85 GT, bright blue met. fastback, 18"s, 91' 350 SBC / Muncie 4spd
thread here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/058999.html
85.5 Porsche 944 euro *for sale*
73 VW Karmann Ghia convertible (sold to finish SBC swap)

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt3800:
im interested im making a similar hood, if someone could post the demenions ill give it a shot

Here are some good pics from hyperv6: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20050119-1-044982.html
(it looks like the width of the vent is the same as the width of the area between the "raised" sections of the hood - and extends pretty much all the way to the back line of the hood...
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for clearing up this is the Norman hood not Norm's

I only know of two other cars that I have seen with this hood. One was Norman car but the last time I saw it it was no on it anymore. Also a German Fiero owner in IL had one on a silver coupe with wire spoke wheels.

To clear up this hood in some areas. First the scoop is not cut into the hood. They took the under support from a stock hood and molded a whole new top on it. Only the under support was cut. So what you see on top only the headlighjt covers came from Pontiac.

Second, the scoop curves up but it is stock height back to the window. You have to keep it high up to clear the trunk.

Third, I had to take a rubber mallet to bent the front trunk wll lip back a little to clear the curve of the scoop. A few light taps is all it would take to restore it. It also still seal well.

And finally when I go this hood it was a real piece of junk. It is poorly molded and was not even square. But I was stupied and wanted it bad enough to make this work. It is still not right and in a week or two I have a guy who is going to fix all the flaws that I hate. The guy In IL had the same poorly made hood as I did and had a lot of problems making it right too.

I see no reason that someone could not copy this style as there really is not too much to it. The only mod I made was to french the over flow cap in to make it different.

I think the big difference beween mine and what others have made is they are all trying to modify a original hood vs making a new hood from a mold.

I guess I have stuck with this one because it is what I was looking for and none of the other really hit me. I also wanted something else that no one else had or that you saw often. When I bought this only Norman's car had one and it was gone before I put mine on.

Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post
You could just make your own like this with out buying a scoop. I just made cuts where I wanted and pushed the points down and glassed them into that postion.

Jesse

------------------
1988 GT 2.8 3Auto
1986 GT 3.4 DOHC 5Speed
1986 GT 4.9 4Auto

[This message has been edited by Racer_JT (edited 06-14-2006).]

Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2006 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post

I have this hood sitting waiting for paint. It's available from Pisa http://pisafierohq.com/ and is called a zr2 scoop.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2006 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for clearing up this is the Norman hood not Norm's

No problem Just thought it was looking & sounding a bit confusing for those who weren't aware of that...

I think the big difference beween mine and what others have made is they are all trying to modify a original hood vs making a new hood from a mold.

Of course, that's also why this style didn't catch on more - the size of the mold and the work required to make it nice put it out of the price range of most average Fiero owners... it's cheaper to cut a hole & glass another part in.

Even though I love my JL Extractor vent, I have often brainstormed about making a more-aggressive vent - something along the lines of the norman hood... I'll keep pondering it for now

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2006 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Of course, that's also why this style didn't catch on more - the size of the mold and the work required to make it nice put it out of the price range of most average Fiero owners... it's cheaper to cut a hole & glass another part in.

Even though I love my JL Extractor vent, I have often brainstormed about making a more-aggressive vent - something along the lines of the norman hood... I'll keep pondering it for now

Who knows, some day down the line I can make a mold off of mine and makes some changes to make it my own. I would like the hood with the ribbing removed and just make it smooth.

The biggest problem I have found while many claim to be good with working with fiberglass few are very great at it. Myself included!

If you can find a good glass man hang on to him. Most seem to be into boats or marine products or race car bodies.

My hood is chop sprayed and not molded and you can tell it adds weight over the stock hood. I wish I knew where the original mold was in Claifornia. Fiero Phil may have it in his piled up items that were going to waste the last time I saw it.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2006 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

I wish I knew where the original mold was in Claifornia. Fiero Phil may have it in his piled up items that were going to waste the last time I saw it.

I suspect the same thing myself...
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2006 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
This is the "Fie Ro" style hood scoop.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2006 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
double post

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 06-15-2006).]

ToonTownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2006 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToonTownfieroClick Here to visit ToonTownfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ToonTownfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brian Lamberts:

I have this hood sitting waiting for paint. It's available from Pisa http://pisafierohq.com/ and is called a zr2 scoop.

That is an amzing car.
That hood looks pro.

------------------

dmancheno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2006 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmanchenoSend a Private Message to dmanchenoDirect Link to This Post
Not bad Racer_JT... Maybe not as wide, unless it was one piece. But I do like it, looks agressive.

Brian Lamberts... Too old school. Makes the Fiero look it's age. Not offending, just my personal opinion.

yellowstone it looks like the warber hood, not agressive.

[This message has been edited by dmancheno (edited 06-15-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2006 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brian Lamberts:

Thank you sir. Looks good.

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car, make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock