Door restoration, what do I need? by Disillusion
Started on: 08-22-2007 11:13 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Mike Murphy on 08-24-2007 08:41 AM
Disillusion

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
My doors are my fiero are done. They don't line up with the body lines on the exterior, I can pull the windows into different angles from inside the car, they creak and crack, the striker bolt has huge wear divets on each side, the door panels aren't staying on properly anymore etc, only the passanger side power door lock works. What parts do I need to fix these? I know i'll need the upper and lower door hinges from the fierostore for both sides, along with the striker bolts. I remember hearing somewhere a ford striker bolt is a few mm bigger and works better? But what parts do I need to fix the windows and the panels and stuff and get everything lined up and tight again?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
InaneCathode

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InaneCathodeSend a Private Message to InaneCathodeDirect Link to This Post
Striker bolt from an f150 (new) does the trick fine. I did it, no more rattles.
You need:
New door panel fasteners (christmas trees with a special end that fits in the door panel itself)
Ford f150 striker bolt
Door hinges
Outer and inner dew wipes
Window guides
ALOT of time to adjust the window

I would really suggest studying the window adjustment procedures in the factory manual so you can get a good understanding of how the window is adjusted. If not you're just peeing in the dark really.
Most of the door skin and window adjustment is a carefully controlled crap shoot. Guess check pretty much. You'll get it eventually, just need time
Disillusion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
Yea the dew wipes and window guides were done by the P/O..He mentioned he had a hard time doing it. I guess everything wasn't quite were it was supposed to because they are all askew now. how new of an f150. I swear I feel like the doors are going to blow off when I hit bumps in the road. The fierostore sells preassembled hinges right? or do I need to buy the pins and bushing and put them together my self?
InaneCathode

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InaneCathodeSend a Private Message to InaneCathodeDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure about the hinges, but i just threw away the box from the f150 striker... i'll sort through the trash
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
If this helps any, the striker bolt can be bought at Pep Girls or AutoZone in the HELP! section. It is part # 38421. Yes, it's a Ford part.
Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
I just went through swapping a set of doors and re-skining them. Made some mistakes and discovered some things. There is no adjustment for the door hinges. If your door alignment is off and the moldings etc do not line up then just adjust the skin. You may play around with the door glass alignment but when all is said and done make sure you replace the upper trim plate that holds the inner felt seal against the glass that runs along the top of the door. Beleive it or not it once it is tight it makes the final adjustment and alingment of the glass to the body. Make sure you clean and lube the window tracks and all moving parts before you put skins back on. I swapped the doors first then put skins on last.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 210
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Murphy:

There is no adjustment for the door hinges. If your door alignment is off and the moldings etc do not line up then just adjust the skin.

Your're kidding right?
I'd suggest you take a good hard look at the hinges, both upper and lower, and study them carefully.
There's all kinds of adjustment in them.

Disillusion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
Oh there is adjustments. mine very noticaly sag when the door is open, thats why I know I need new hinges, or at least pins and bushing. I'm going to try and re-do the windows and guides with the exsisting stuff, since it's less that 2 years old, and for the year and a bit I've had the car i've only driven it about 5 months (it's a garage queen lol) since my truck is getting redone

[This message has been edited by Disillusion (edited 08-24-2007).]

Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Your're kidding right?
I'd suggest you take a good hard look at the hinges, both upper and lower, and study them carefully.
There's all kinds of adjustment in them.

I may have been wrong on that statement as I do rembmber that on the door side there might have been some adjustment but I do not think so on the jamb side but you need the skins off to adjust the hinges what little they can be adjusted which is not very much from what I remember.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock