Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The Most Controversial Factory Color-Gold (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
The Most Controversial Factory Color-Gold by mattwa
Started on: 01-03-2009 01:30 AM
Replies: 79
Last post by: mattwa on 09-22-2009 11:35 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I have noticed that a lot of people of my age group (teenagers) dislike the Factory Color Gold, when most adults like it. I think its because of the Gold of the 70s. Even though it wasn't the least production color, I rarely see any.
What is your opinion?

Here is an example of what I'm talking about, My 86 SE!
Yes, i have an ego about my car, because I lack a personal one.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 01-03-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what age group you would categorize me in, but I had a car that looked identical to that one, loved the color. Really miss that car.

Im 24 BTW.

-Joe

[This message has been edited by joesfiero (edited 01-03-2009).]

DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
I hate gold colored cars. I do not care what kind it is sports, exotic, lux dont care for it one bit. I think it looks horrible on a Fiero. (not knocking anyone who has one, just my opinion) I have always felt that way about that color. I think the funny thing about it is, I do like brown cars. Not like a straight brown, kinda of like a bronze brown. Not many people like brown cars. Iam 21 by the way.

Zach
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DCRFiero1:

I think it looks horrible on a Fiero.
Zach

I get that a lot.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I hated my gold Fiero until I had it repainted the factory gold. You couldn't tell, but it faded to a real light dull gold. The deep rich gold it is suppoed to be made it a real sharp car. I'd post a pic, but my wife is blocking the car wearing a skirt. (but you can see pics in the GwF thread)
Dave

------------------

1987 GT (my toy-see above), 1987 GT (daily driver), 1986 SE with a VW VR6, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

DustoneGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
I am 24 and personally like the gold on Fieros. I have seen a few really sharp examples. I agree it looks much better if the paint is in good shape, the faded gold isn't nearly as good as a fresh or well-preserved coat. My first car was also gold, it was a '92 Lumina four door. That could have influenced my thinking. My sister would drive to school with me and she hated the color.

My sister and my wife both hate it and they are in their 20's. My teenage brothers (one loves Fieros) don't care too much for it either, but then again I don't think any of them have seen a good, sharp example of a gold Fiero.

You may be on to something about the newer cars not coming in gold much while older cars were seen as sporty or luxurious in the past with the color. You seem to be pretty smart and sharp for a teenager, definitely better with thinking and writing than I was at your age. Keep your thesis on age vs. car color preference written down somewhere. It may come in handy for a college paper with some further research.

[This message has been edited by DustoneGT (edited 01-03-2009).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
You can't say gold sucks on the fiero untill you've owned a gold one.
I've owned 2.
Gold sucks.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
(?!)

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i dont mind the gold color.
its better then Pink
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I loved my gold Fiero, if there was a color I get sick of seeing on a Fiero it would be red.
Turn 44 next month.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 01-03-2009).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
I never has an issue with the Gold but the Blue was horrible.

THey had such nice blues on the other Pontiacs that year and the Fiero get some easter egg blue.

Imagine if they had used the same dark blue from the T/A?
PFF
System Bot
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm 37 and i have never liked gold on any car to me its a hideous color and looks like its a washed out. It suffers from severe fading due to uv rays the same for the silver of the 80's just nasty.
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
My wife wants a Gold GT.

I personally wished they used some of the Cadillac colors those years. Firemist would have ROCKED on a fiero. think medium metal flake deep orange gold...

http://automotivemileposts....cinnamonfiremist.jpg

As well as the diamond white and other firemist colors. they absolutely rocked, color depth was as good as HOK custom paint jobs as well. GM should have put some of the decent colors from back then on the cars instead of whipping out the "budget" color chip book.

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 01-03-2009).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

I always liked the blue Fieros; the paint was unusually high in metallic content. To me it looked like it was an inch deep.

I never liked the gold Fieros, but its probably because I tend to equate them with elderly men and their gold Crown Victorias and Buicks.

------------------

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Back in the early 1990s, there was an issue of Pontiac magazine with a gold GT on the cover. The owner was this really hot girl wearing a bikini and they did a nice article on her and the car. It always left a good place in my mind for the gold GTs.
Dave
BrewCheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Im 24 and always disliked the gold colored fieros, although Ive always been a fan of gold colored rims on some factory colors.

Jason
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
They look great if cared for and protected from sunlight. Same as the silver--like my DD. Once either color starts degrading, ya just can't ever quite get it to come back without a re-paint.
hagans19

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-03-2009 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hagans19Send a Private Message to hagans19Direct Link to This Post
mine was identical to urs but i painted it dark red in the sig

------------------

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
here is a pic of my gold GT (pre rims) fresh from paint using the factory gold
joeveto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joevetoSend a Private Message to joevetoDirect Link to This Post
Ahhh, this is what makes the world go 'round...you say potayto, I say potahto....

As such, I'm on the fence.

I like it on the GT. My Grand Marquis DD is beige/gold (Arizona Beige) and it was my last color choice, especially with the tan interior. Too much tan. What they got right with the Fiero, that Ford did not, is they mixed up the interior a bit, with different shades of brown, and then added that silver ground effect. Looks cool.

Before I bought my red notch-back, I nearly bought a gold GT. I probably would have kept it that color.

I personally think the gold would look awesome with a dark blue interior.

------------------
Spent my days with a woman unkind Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine...

Nosferatu187

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post
bmwguru, to me that gold looks nice. I used to own a 1970 AMX, the color was Bittersweet Orange Metallic. Not orange at all, looked more like a bronze color. I've often wondered what a Fiero GT would look like in that color, might look pretty nice:

Mike
PFF
System Bot
daveg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davegSend a Private Message to davegDirect Link to This Post

I think Gold is a colour that needs to be kept clean. I also like the blue.

daveg
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

THey had such nice blues on the other Pontiacs that year and the Fiero get some easter egg blue.

Imagine if they had used the same dark blue from the T/A?

WHAT!?!?!

The Fiero blue is one of the best blue colors out there. Not washed out like some of the other cars. The metal flake is choice. I actually got an '87 because it was blue and didn't want to paint an '88.

To each his own.
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Nice wheelie-popping van in the background!!
BAD87FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAD87FIEROSend a Private Message to BAD87FIERODirect Link to This Post
The Fiero is the ONLY car I think looks good with gold paint, i've seen third gen Birds and a few second gen Birds that are gold and they don't looks nearly as good as the white ones(I own a white Trans Am, as does my dad)

Turned 16 in Novemeber
85GT3.4Track4spdCar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-03-2009 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT3.4Track4spdCarSend a Private Message to 85GT3.4Track4spdCarDirect Link to This Post
I'm on the fence about this.
Keep it nice, it looks great.
Paint starting to go, forget it.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DustoneGT:

I am 24 and personally like the gold on Fieros. I have seen a few really sharp examples. I agree it looks much better if the paint is in good shape, the faded gold isn't nearly as good as a fresh or well-preserved coat. My first car was also gold, it was a '92 Lumina four door. That could have influenced my thinking. My sister would drive to school with me and she hated the color.

My sister and my wife both hate it and they are in their 20's. My teenage brothers (one loves Fieros) don't care too much for it either, but then again I don't think any of them have seen a good, sharp example of a gold Fiero.

You may be on to something about the newer cars not coming in gold much while older cars were seen as sporty or luxurious in the past with the color. You seem to be pretty smart and sharp for a teenager, definitely better with thinking and writing than I was at your age. Keep your thesis on age vs. car color preference written down somewhere. It may come in handy for a college paper with some further research.

Thank you for the complement.
Yes, people say I'm really smart, but sometimes its a bad thing. I didn't think of this but my sister said the reason I depressed a lot is that I think too much about everything.
Anyway, sorry, getting off topic (ADHD)

Originally posted by daveg:

I think Gold is a colour that needs to be kept clean. I also like the blue.

daveg

Damn, I want those wheels!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Well, my paint is pretty new so I think it looks ok. Even though it was done by highschoolers (can you say, over spray?)
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
bleh, retirement gold
Kelvin Vivian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kelvin VivianSend a Private Message to Kelvin VivianDirect Link to This Post
gold SEs were the only SEs that came with color-matched 14-in hi-tech rims.

------------------

88 GT T-Top 5-spd #338 of 1252
87 SE 4-cyl 5-spd sunroof, spoiler, performance sound
85 2M4 base coupe T-Top 5-spd, rackless decklid, 15-in 88 GT rims, aero-conversion

NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
i like gold colored cars especially my fiero also i'm 13

[This message has been edited by NCTyphoonKid (edited 01-03-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Renegade blob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Renegade blobSend a Private Message to Renegade blobDirect Link to This Post
^^ Wait you have a car and your only 13!?! ^^

I don't know this gold plated Porsche looks alright to me

I don't like the Gold color to much but a sand color looks pretty good on a larger luxury car.
(16 years old)

[This message has been edited by Renegade blob (edited 01-03-2009).]

GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNDirect Link to This Post
I own an original 86 gold GT (garaged all its life so paint looks new) and I remember at the time I bought it, the salesman tried to tell me that since the gold Mustang from the late 60's was so rare and valuable due to it's color that the gold Fiero was destined to be as valuable in time. I laughed it off figuring that a mass produced modern car would never be that collectable. But now, looking back at the 80's there aren't that many cars with what could be termed "classic" looks, so maybe the Fiero has a chance of being that "I remember those from my youth" cars some years down the road .
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I like the Fiero gold when the accents (ground effects and wheels) are done in silver. I don't care much for the gold over black on the SEs.

One of my favorite cars on the forum was a gold 87 coupe with silver spoked GT wheels.

This car belonged to someone on PFF, who lived in Hawaii.
SBC swapped, IIRC.
Haven seen the owner on here for many years.
------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-03-2009).]

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 398
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
ive had 2 gold 86SE's over the years, and my orange GT was originally gold

one of my favorite factory colors
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2009 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
I bought a gold 86 notchie brand new back in the day. Sold it 4 years later and have been kicking myself for 18 years now. Gold is probably my favorite color on a Fiero....I will own another some day.

23 year old pic

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2009 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I'm also sick of seeing all of the gray interiors. I love the tan.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2009 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I had a 1988 white base coupe with the tan interior and it was gross. I told myself I would never own another white Fiero or a tan interior. My gold GT has the tan interior and if it ever gets wrecked, the interior will go into one of my other Fieros. I can't look at it enough. Then again, it has all been cleaned up, new Mr Mikes leatherette/cloth seats, headliner, etc. I'm concidering a new steering wheel...possibly a wood or leather.
Dave
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2009 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

WHAT!?!?!

The Fiero blue is one of the best blue colors out there. Not washed out like some of the other cars. The metal flake is choice. I actually got an '87 because it was blue and didn't want to paint an '88.

To each his own.

The Fiero Blue reaks because of the metal flake. That stuff went out in the 70's with disco and cheap orange polyester suit. It may have worked on a Beatle or Pacer but not a intended Sports car.

If they had used the dark metalic blue like they used on the T/A of the same year that would have been sharp. Blue is my favorite color and excited when I heard Blue Fiero's were coming only to be let down when I saw the first one. Once I got close enough to see the metal flake then I was really disapointed.

But to each his own as you say. I think the sales numbers of the color speak volumes on where the general public stood on this one.

I remember the Gold and Silver Fiero's did well with buyers over 40 years old. It just seemed like back in the 80's when they were new those colors always had older owners. Just an observation back when they were new.
golden dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2009 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for golden dragonSend a Private Message to golden dragonDirect Link to This Post
I like my gold, but I think black looks great, and I hate white, to plain.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock