Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  non stretched notchback fiero + 3rd gen camaro glass = awesome (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
non stretched notchback fiero + 3rd gen camaro glass = awesome by Niterrorz
Started on: 06-09-2012 09:56 PM
Replies: 70
Last post by: Niterrorz on 10-12-2012 04:11 PM
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
HA HA! pictures to come soon :P till then youll have to suffer!

i will tell you i have the notchback cut, the decklid resized and cut and the camaro glass almost ready. all i need is some fiberglass work and a little more cutting possibly.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Leaked pics
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
that is SLICK! is that the archie hatchback?
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
No you don't!!!! You can't make a post like that and get away with it!
I vote for flogging or a good long walk off a short plank for you.....arrrrgh!!!
PICS......NOW
Al
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
There is a Fiero with the 3rd gen rear glass out there somewhere. I don't remember the members name that made it, but it was built on a stretched frame with a longitudinal V8 swap. I'll have to look for pics.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Khw

11139 posts
Member since Jun 2008
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
ya here is the guys build thread only he stretched it 12 inchs, im not gonna stretch mine. i am going to take pics NOW!!! muahaha

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000007-20.html
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Niterrorz:

No that's a Nissan 300 ZX.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
oh....OH ok wow ya tis been awhile wince ive see one of those kinda threw me for a sec i thought someone did a tailight mod and hatchback.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Yeah those and the Mazda RX7 are my favorite older Asian sports cars, well the Acura NSX would be on that list to.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
PROJECT CANCELED

[This message has been edited by Niterrorz (edited 04-15-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Direct Link to This Post
Interesting, can't wait to see it finished.
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
Ok forget the flogging or plank walk...that might make finishing this a bit difficult.
looks good, the glass follows the roof line nicely.
i am adding this to the watch list.
thanks for the pics...
now get back to work....lol
al
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
ya it would hurt a tad bit, i have a car show to goto tomorrow and i need to do some work on the car this is going onto (front caliper is hanging up and i need to get a new rim on my tire) but ill be hopefully working more on it.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Nice project but I would be concerned with how you will ventilate the engine compartment. Possibly a marine ventilator blower of some sought can be employed in the right wheel well. Boats with inboard engines use these to vent the engine compartments.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
The purpose of the ventilators on marine engine compartments is to make sure that there are no gasoline fumes in the engine compartment prior to ignition. Gas fumes being heavier than air will settle in the bottom of the boat with no way out unlike in a car. Instant explosion with fumes there. I've always been struck by the similar proportions of the 300zx to the Fiero. One of my favorite Japanese cars.

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 06-10-2012).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

The purpose of the ventilators on marine engine compartments is to make sure that there are no gasoline fumes in the engine compartment prior to ignition. Gas fumes being heavier than air will settle in the bottom of the boat with no way out unlike in a car. Instant explosion with fumes there. I've always been struck by the similar proportions of the 300zx to the Fiero. One of my favorite Japanese cars.

Are you saying that a sealed engine compartment is no problem on a Fiero? Even with the engine vents it gets very hot under the deck lid. That is why I suggested using a marine ventilator.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

The purpose of the ventilators on marine engine compartments is to make sure that there are no gasoline fumes in the engine compartment prior to ignition. Gas fumes being heavier than air will settle in the bottom of the boat with no way out unlike in a car. Instant explosion with fumes there.

True, but he's still going to need to find a way to circulate air in the engine bay to keep temps down. That was the biggest problem for GM at the time when they were thinking of using a true fastback design rather than just the flying buttress GT panels. There are ideas out there now including vents that run along both hatch sides.

@Niterrorz: I like your "let's get'er done" approach. I seem to remember another thread from a while back that also explored the possibility of the 3rd gen F body hatch. IIRC, the problem was that the hatch's framework was too long for the available space. By cutting into the sail panel, and setting it further forward will you be able to make it fit lengthwise? If not, do you plan to move the taillight panel further back, or do you have some other secrets you're holding back? How about hinge mount locations for the hatch? Will they interfere with a rear window separating the engine compartment from the passenger compartment?

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Are you saying that a sealed engine compartment is no problem on a Fiero? Even with the engine vents it gets very hot under the deck lid. That is why I suggested using a marine ventilator.

I was hesitant to reply to your post because I know that you are much more knowledgable than I am about Fieros. I agree that there would be a need for venting in this case. I have no idea whether the marine ventilators are up to the job, just that they were designed for a purpose other than cooling the engine. They are normally only used prior to start up.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
PROJECT CANCELED

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

here ya go it was done with my crappy cell camera but its a start

you have one problem the glas is to long on its own and you will need to move the taillight panel outward 4 inches as you can not cut the rear glass it is tempered and any atempt to cut it will end up in thousands of pieces
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

yes cooling is going to be an issue,

You could always go with a low profile roof scoop, like on that Eclipse in the FATF movie. Then, where you have the shortened trunk lid, maybe runn a channel on it that vents tot he rear of the vehicle just above the tailights? Then air would be forced through from the scoop, across the top of the engine pulling the heat that rises out through the rear. I don't know if that explination came out right, but that's how I picture it in my head. I'd use some screen to keep leaves out at both ends.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
PROJECT CANCELED

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

@khw i ws thinking of doign a rook scoop but there is no room for it. the hatchback glass is going to have to be directly bolted to the frame and there is not going to be any space to allow for a scoop. now putting scoops on the sides where the air intake is and then the other side is possible but im going to look into venting slots/rear vent like you sugested although without the scoop first, then a blower motor.

Well good atleast I wasn't the only one that thought of that as a possibility! Unfortunate that there won't be enough room. I know you mentioned side scoops, but another possible thing might be the Firebird front fender type vents some have used on there Fiero, but located in the notchback side behind the sail panel. In this area.

With a vent like the ones on the front fender.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 06-10-2012).]

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Khw, your idea shot me straight into Ford RS200 land...
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
PROJECT CANCELED

Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post

Niterrorz

4119 posts
Member since Sep 2010
PROJECT CANCELED

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
You might have to switch to the fastback rear as it is longer above the tail lights. When I looked at it, I figured I could used the 4th gen camaro glass with the upper Notchie panel and lower fastback panel. The glass doesn't need to be flush with the rear panels for the full length, so you could raise it some to make an under the glass edge vent right above the tail lights.

Here is my 4th gen mockup:

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Just playing around with a parts car today and decided to do some rough fitting:

This certainly looks do able now... to bad it is way down the priority list.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/102266.html
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
ya that 4th gen fits nice with the fastback. id have a hard time cutting up a nice fastback clip though. i should go out there and take more pics of the glass on the notchback as it really doesnt stick out past the lower lip of the decklid and it barely stick out past the top of it and i havent even finishe dform cutting the clip to the glass. if you look at the first pic i posted the top left corner hits and the bottom corner hit before it gets seated flush. i think this combined with some round off of the rear of the glass with fiberglass will mold it nicely. that and since the glass is curved side to side there is a small gap i think i can fit a vent in for cooling..
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Its a 300ZX

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Its a 300ZX

You really need to start reading the entire thread before you reply
PFF
System Bot
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
PROJECT CANCELED

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Modify the clip and decklid to give yourself more room behind the glass, kinda like they did with the PPG cars...

Would give you a lot more room and less of a straight slope down to the rear bumper.

------------------

Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
i dont know what a ppg car is, what modifications are you refeering to?
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083664.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/050854.html

Have a look at how they glassed the decklid and rear clip, there's a nice added lip which flattens off the rear of the car where it's normally sloped. Would work well with the Camaro rear window.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
oh ya i see that, it has a lip coming up and it would meet the glass better. how do you think i could seal that though? because that another issue i forsee is sealing the sides although i have somewhat of an idea im sure there are better ones out there.

[This message has been edited by Niterrorz (edited 06-19-2012).]

Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Nice project.
Don't worry about the heat issue people will try to scare you with.
Focus on the fitment and deal with venting later.
Remember your stock decklid didn't melt, so your tempered glass hatch won't either.
I've driven mine in the rain several times since 2008 without issue.
Good luck with the project.
Any questions feel free to PM me.

Fiero2m8

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch

Gohan77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohan77Send a Private Message to Gohan77Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Leaked pics

, okay im sorry that is a 91-94 Nissan 300 zx, not a Fiero. Sorry to upset u
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
PROJECT CANCELED

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

I was hesitant to reply to your post because I know that you are much more knowledgable than I am about Fieros. I agree that there would be a need for venting in this case. I have no idea whether the marine ventilators are up to the job, just that they were designed for a purpose other than cooling the engine. They are normally only used prior to start up.

Its not a matter of who is more knowledgeable as we all learn something new every day or so we hope! This forum is for the open exchange of ideas and opinions. . In this case it is a given that the engine compartment in a hatch back re-design needs some amount of ventillation and hopefully my suggestion might offer a solution but not the only solution.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock