Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  So, who wants to see the rod in my leg? X-ray pics!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

So, who wants to see the rod in my leg? X-ray pics! by derangedsheep
Started on: 12-16-2004 10:42 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: madcurl on 12-18-2004 02:01 AM
derangedsheep

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so I know a lot of you want to see my "mods" as Rumor put it. So here are my X-Rays.

This is from the night of the accident but before surgery (obviously). The break was very clean, but when it broke, it tore out through my inner thigh. I'll post pictures of my scar if there's interest. BTW it's my left leg.

This is the rod and the pins that hold it in place.

And here's another view showing most of the rod.

The rod is solid titanium. It's 44cm long (approx. 17.3 inches) and 1cm in diameter. It is basically my entire femur except for a little bit on either end.

-Steve

------------------
87 GT Auto: Custom 2.25" exhaust with Goerlich XLerator muffler, highflow cat, NGK plugs, KN Filter.
AIM: derangedsheep | email: elcodjsteveo@yahoo.com ::::: View my award winning Fiero presentation here.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post12-16-2004 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Man, compound fractures are the absolute worse, the risk of bone infections and toxic shock are exceedingly high with those. I'd rather have a dozen broken bones internally than one compound fracture.

Your rod looks like my dad's, he did a major crash on a motorcycle and they used a rod in one leg and a metal plate with screws in the other leg.

Another friend of mine endo'd his rig down a mountainside in Virginia many years ago and got a rod like yours. The docs mismeasured the length and it stuck out a hair at the top, eventually after the bone healed they went in and took it out, he keeps it on his mantle as a conversation piece.

You're a lucky guy there, Sheep. How are the other survivors doing?

JazzMan

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
yuck yuck yuck metal rods in bones... yucky yucky....

btw - why's there a zipper in your leg x-ray?

malacite

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for malaciteSend a Private Message to malaciteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

yuck yuck yuck metal rods in bones... yucky yucky....

he must have been wearing cargo pants with zipper pockets.

------------------

car destroyed by charley, then again by francis
seeking automatic aero-notchie for 3.4 carb swap.

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by malacite:
he must have been wearing cargo pants with zipper pockets.

They put zipper pockets all the way down there now?

derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:
How are the other survivors doing?

The other guy from the back is going to a rehab place for a week, but i dont know when. I talk to him on AIM and he seems to be doing well. The driver, I don't know much about. He is home and they said he may have some frontal lobe contusions or something. Im not really sure and I almost dont care since its his fault im in this condition.

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

I have no idea. My pants were in a plastic bag in the back of my Dad's van by that time, so I couldnt even begin to guess. I know the big metal piece is part of a Hare Traction splint which is used to help realign the bone. But your guess is as good as mine on that zipper.

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Those are pretty intense photos...Glad you are young, you should heal well.

Glad you are bouncing back so fast, wolverine! (when are you getting the claw implants?)

Take care...

-FieroRumor

Zaptoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZaptomanSend a Private Message to ZaptomanDirect Link to This Post
So bring those of us who don't know what happened up to date. How did this happen?
derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zaptoman:

So bring those of us who don't know what happened up to date. How did this happen?

I pulled this from my other thread about the face in my brain. The links should explain everything.

http://www.thewgalchannel.com/news/3922172/detail.html
http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/11006869653540.xml

There's 2 news stories. On November 15th I was in a car, it was a 2000 Sunfire. We were going somewhere between 90 and 100 MPH when we hit a pole. The driver was weaving from one side of the road to the other and lost control.

Heres the other threads:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/028071.html (original post)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/028187.html (condition update)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/028417.html (pictures of the car)

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2004 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Woah

Glad you're ok!

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2004 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
So there were 2 fatalities? The driver and the front passenger?

What a ****ing waste.

Glad you pulled through, though.

PFF
System Bot
mtncrasher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2004 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mtncrasherSend a Private Message to mtncrasherDirect Link to This Post
Wow, looks like it hurt. I am glad I don't have any rods in my body, I do have lost of other messed up parts though. I have broken 13 bones, got 347 stitches, ruptured my spleen, 2 surgerys on my shoulder, 6 concusions, and the list goes on. I don't have many of my X-rays though. I do have a few cat scans of my spleen all messed up and a MRI of my brain, no scanner though, I will try to get my hands on one so that I can share.Glad to see your alive, recover quickly, and fully.
G.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2004 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I bet that will make you have to do some explaining when you go thru an airport metal detector. I have a wire in my right knee, holding my knee cap together from my car accident, so I guess I lucked out. I also have a scar on my left shin from where they had a threaded rod inserted to have my leg in traction. My femur was popped out of it's socket and pushed up about 6 inches into my body. I was in a wheelchair for about a year and had to re-learn how to walk. It will take you some time to heal, but you should be able to get back to close to 100% to where you where before the accident.
blackie2m6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2004 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackie2m6Click Here to visit blackie2m6's HomePageSend a Private Message to blackie2m6Direct Link to This Post
That looks like it might hurt J/K

Where are the scar pictures... come on Steve I know you want to show us!!

------------------

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Too bad they don't use Iron rods, like rebar or something. It'd be a pretty cool trick to stick a magnet to your leg.

Feel better dude.

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Steve is now the BIONIC MAN!!!

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 12-18-2004).]

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
We can rebuild him.We have the technology.
Just sign here and initial here,here and here.
Oh and here too.

------------------
There are three kinds of people
Those trying to be good.
Those trying not to be bad.
And those that make trying not to be bad a lot harder for me!!!
PLAY HARD-DIE FAST

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Faster.

Stronger.

Better.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm...you posted them backwards..hehehehe.
I've seen worse. Good thing you were young and not the "growth plate".....you'd be screwed!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock