Started on: 10-03-2007 06:45 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 10-03-2007 11:43 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I just got the parts for my new computer, and I'm trying to install Windows. This happened with my old computer too, so maybe it's the monitor?

When the computer is in DOS, the top of the screen is displayed in the middle of the screen, and the bottom half is cut off. When I use the adjust vertical on the monitor, I can only get a little more to show up, and auto-adjust does nothing. Now I'm trying to install Windows, and of course all the prompts are at the BOTTOM of the screen.

I don't have a spare monitor, unless I can get a friend to bring one over.

HELP!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
htexans1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Get your friend to bring one over, go to a thrift store for one, or cough go to wal mart.

That monitor has seen better days. Recycle it.

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 10-03-2007).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Awe come on, it's only three years old! And it's anice, black flatscreen 19" Viewsonic, and it works fine in Windows.

Now to find Tony's cell phone number, he owes me...
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Awe come on, it's only three years old! And it's anice, black flatscreen 19" Viewsonic, and it works fine in Windows.

Now to find Tony's cell phone number, he owes me...

mabye it has a warranty. I had visions of a "Packard Bell" 14 inch CRT from 1995 still in use here. my bad. LOL

mabye a video monitor driver is misconfigured. or your video card driver is corrupted.

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
"Some of them thar flatpanels don't like the DOS"

-Granpaw FieroRumor
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
There are display properties for dos windows. you can adjust the size of the window vertical and horizontal as well as the size of the font and the type of the font, and you can also adjust dos windows to automatically open at the top/bottom/left/right side of the screen.

The easiest way to do adjust this, is open a command prompt by clicking start run and type cmd and hit enter.

Then click on the icon in the upper left corner of the window and click properties and that will open up the window you need to adjust the dos window.

Hope this is what you are looking for.
kinboyatuwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kinboyatuwoSend a Private Message to kinboyatuwoDirect Link to This Post
Its a chance that the driver is needed to load that monitor (not sure but just my guess).
If its enough that you can see some of it then adjust it enough using the adjustments on the monitor to install the OS, there are only a handful of inputs that you have to have to do. Lord knows I have reinstalled 4 times on the POS dell
KIN

edit.....someone had a better answer while I was posting

[This message has been edited by kinboyatuwo (edited 10-03-2007).]

fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
I guess it would help if I read the whole post. You are trying to install windows. What version of windows are you trying to install. Actually if you are good you can do an unattended install of windows. Most versions will let you. There is a questions and answers file on the windows CD. Just answer the questions which is a text file, then you will just need to save that text file on a floppy disk. If I remember correctly if you have that floppy in while the cd boots then it will know to use the floppy to answer all of the questions. Then all you need to do is boot and go have dinner. When you come back windows will be installed.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I found that I just needed to hit F8 at the first prompt, and the rest was easy, and I could do it from memory. This computer is MUCH faster than the old one!

Asus P5K-E Wifi-AP Edition
Intel Celeron 420, LGA775, 800Mhz FSB, 1.6Ghz (I couldn't afford a Core 2 Duo)
2.5GB DDR667 RAM, two 1GB Corsair modules and one 512MB Corsair module
Hitachi Travelstar 320GB SATA 3.0GBps HD
Rosewill 500W power supply
Asus DVD-RW drive
Sony Floppy drive
3 x Stealth 80mm case fans (two at hard drive, one at back)
Cooler master XDream P775 CPU fan and heatsink
ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E x16 video card

It also runs a lot cooler thant the old one, the CPU hasn't been above 98 F yet, where the old Celeron 331 would idle at 115 F. That might be because of the much better CPU cooler, though.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock