Started on: 09-01-2009 12:35 AM
Replies: 25
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 10-08-2009 10:22 AM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
So now its official once i find out whats wrong with my fiero it will now be my daily driver. while out driving tonight i either threw a rod or developed a bottom end knock in my firebird. Its sad this thing has been such a great car for the past almost 4 years and this happens. i dunno if its worth replacing the engine in it or not it has the 3800II in it. And no i wont be swapping in a V8 sorry to go on about this. just sad my baby finaly died i dont understand it though. i never really beat on the car i was always up with the maintanace on it and this happens.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 09-01-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for your loss. but hey now you can put all your time into your fiero. Try to sell your firebird and get a new toy. What about your ricer car? Why not drive it?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Sorry for your loss. but hey now you can put all your time into your fiero. Try to sell your firebird and get a new toy. What about your ricer car? Why not drive it?

the engine in that ricer has been shot for years. ill most likeley put another 3800 in the firebird. it was a very good car and good motor. Im going to look more into this tomorrow but it also be the transmission. either way i will most likeley be replacing it. and the messed up thing is........ the car isant even 1 month out of the warrenty
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Ouch! That would suck. Blown engine, anb the car just went out of warranty. Why not sign up with mogi? Just let it sit, and then make a claim. I dunno
AJ7

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
the engine in that ricer has been shot for years. ill most likeley put another 3800 in the firebird. it was a very good car and good motor. Im going to look more into this tomorrow but it also be the transmission. either way i will most likeley be replacing it. and the messed up thing is........ the car isant even 1 month out of the warrenty

how bout a 3800sc?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by AJ7:

how bout a 3800sc?

Thats what i was thinking if one will fit.

hklvette

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hklvetteSend a Private Message to hklvetteDirect Link to This Post
It should fit fine. IIRC, both engines were set up to take up the same volume of engine bay space. A few issues you might run into: 1) Starter on the wrong side 2) coolant plumbing in the wrong places and 3) Motor mounts in the wrong places. You may also hit snags getting the SC'd ECU to talk to the 4L60E.
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
intakes on the wrong side to. front wheel drive goes to transmission rear wheel drive to belts.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

So now its official once i find out whats wrong with my fiero it will now be my daily driver. while out driving tonight i either threw a rod or developed a bottom end knock in my firebird. Its sad this thing has been such a great car for the past almost 4 years and this happens. i dunno if its worth replacing the engine in it or not it has the 3800II in it. And no i wont be swapping in a V8 sorry to go on about this. just sad my baby finaly died i dont understand it though. i never really beat on the car i was always up with the maintanace on it and this happens.

If you want to spend the time and money to conver it to a carburetor, you're more than welcome to have my Chevy 350 4-bolt block.

It's already assembled, broken in, w/ 10k miles. It has about 300 horsepower. I don't need it, and since you're down and out, if you can make the trip to South Florida, it's yours.

It should drop right in, you just need new motor mounts. I have a carb, an intake, and an HEI distributor that you can have too.

You'll just need to get cast exhaust manifolds from the junkyard and get an exhaust Y-pipe for an LT1 Camaro / Firebird.

It shouldn't take you more than a weekened to drop it in.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1981 EZ-GO Xi875-A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
The 3800 S/C will fit, however, you may need a cowl induction type of scoop to clear the blower.

measure the cowl (under the windshield ) to the frame and measure the hight of the 3800 and blower to make sure.

Of course a standard 3800 and a turbo kit would wake the car up immencely.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
3800 SC will not fit, intake is directed right against firewall. But, you can put 3800 SC internals in a Fbody 3800. Then slap a turbo or two on it. TTA anyone?
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

If you want to spend the time and money to conver it to a carburetor, you're more than welcome to have my Chevy 350 4-bolt block.

It's already assembled, broken in, w/ 10k miles. It has about 300 horsepower. I don't need it, and since you're down and out, if you can make the trip to South Florida, it's yours.

It should drop right in, you just need new motor mounts. I have a carb, an intake, and an HEI distributor that you can have too.

You'll just need to get cast exhaust manifolds from the junkyard and get an exhaust Y-pipe for an LT1 Camaro / Firebird.

It shouldn't take you more than a weekened to drop it in.

Its a possability i will let you know dude thanks again
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

No problem... I'm serious too... the engine is yours if you want to come down and get it.

I have some brackets, alternator, distributor (two, one with points, one with HEI) a carburetor and some other stuff.

It ran really well when it was in the 76 Camaro I pulled it out of.

It originally came from a 74 Impala Police car, and it's got 1971 Camel Heads from a 327 Corvette. It was rebuilt about 10k miles ago... but the rebuild is something like 8-9 years old now... but everything is in good shape.
Here it was when I had it in my TransAm. I never ran it in the T/A as I ended up going with a 455 big block.

------------------
Todd,

N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

Dude. Road trip. Let's go. I've got vacation days to burn. =D
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

Dude. Road trip. Let's go. I've got vacation days to burn. =D

I even have it on a 4 wheel cart that it's bolted to, so you can move it around, and can slide it easily into the back of say a Ford Explorer or something.

The only thing I want for it is a #1 Big Mac Meal from Mc.Donalds, and a 12 pack of Coors Light (yeah, I'm a redneck).

Actually... ok... I've also got a brand new Edelbrock 1407 carburetor with an electric choke conversion that I'll throw in too if you want it, but ONLY if you plan to actually use it, becuase I think I can probably get $50-75 bucks for it on eBay.

------------------
Todd,

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

<snip>

Dude, that is really cool. You get a + just for offering.

Seriously, dude, totally cool!

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 09-01-2009).]

N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

Ditto. And if we do get to, I'll make sure Rick Super Sizes that Big Mac Meal. =D
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Im gona do some research into doing this. Anyone have any info on what MPG would be with this engine?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2009 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Hah, no problem.

If you guys really think you want to come down and get the stuff, I'll start searching my garage for any parts or anything I think might be useful. If you had a 3800, like I said to him in a PM, it should just drop right in.

There's a HUGE junkyard down here with a bunch of F-bodies and stuff, so if you need a larger radiator, you can probably get that from there for ~$20.

The motor has it's own stand too with wheels... so if you ONLY have an SUV, it should be perfect, you won't really need a trailer.

I'm really busy this week, but in the next week or so, I'll take some measurements...

I think the only thing you're going to need is an intake manifold. I think I gave it away to my neighbor to put on his boat. :\

But any aftermarket intake should fit.

I do have a complete comptuer controlled Cross-Fire Injection system if you want to use that (with intake and injectors), but I'd recommend against it... it's better to just go straight carb with this swap.

------------------
Todd,

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2009 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hklvette:

It should fit fine. IIRC, both engines were set up to take up the same volume of engine bay space. A few issues you might run into: 1) Starter on the wrong side 2) coolant plumbing in the wrong places and 3) Motor mounts in the wrong places. You may also hit snags getting the SC'd ECU to talk to the 4L60E.

wrong, wrong and wrong. oh and wrong.

The ONLY issue as mentioned is the intake.. I have seen a few people just hack a hole in the firewall and put something in the glovebox, or order up a blower from the GTO's in Australia (they had RWD 3800sc's). The typically have no issues clearing the hood.

The L67 block is the SAME as the block that is in the camaro right now, you can bolt it up with the starter on the right side, the coolant plumbing in the right places, and the motor mounts working exactly the same, and you can use the stock ECU and just tune it for boost quite easily.

Now, you could get a L67, and put your L36 parts on it giving you a stout low compression block ready for turbo at a later date... Or what I would do is get a series3 n/a block (L26) and toss that in with your intake on it... as that would give you a nearly new motor for about $300.
Rivethead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2009 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RivetheadSend a Private Message to RivetheadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

Agreed T/A. That's an amazingly generous offer. Totally cool!
PFF
System Bot
BazookaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2009 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaFieroSend a Private Message to BazookaFieroDirect Link to This Post

Im gona do some research into doing this. Anyone have any info on what MPG would be with this engine?

Might not be an accurate number, but I'm running a 350 with a four barrel in my truck (from a 78 camaro), and frankly, I'm getting pretty bad gas milage. I would estimate about 10 as an average. You would probably get better mpg with it in the car and not hauling around a heavy truck, though. On the positive side, the power behind the 350 is very nice

Edit: holy jeezus! I didn't even realize how old this thread was! Just ignore me... gettin' old....
------------------
BAZOOKAFIERO's Junk

"I can feel your fear and weakness, I see my own in the mirrors of your eyes"

[This message has been edited by BazookaFiero (edited 10-07-2009).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2009 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
My '71 Firebird had a 350 with a 2 barrel carb and a two speed power glide tranny. It got 18 miles per gallon on the highway. Yours should do better if it has a three or four speed tranny.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2009 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You should buy my 'brand new', 19,000 mile, rare Firebird convertible....
AJ7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2009 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

My '71 Firebird had a 350 with a 2 barrel carb and a two speed power glide tranny. It got 18 miles per gallon on the highway. Yours should do better if it has a three or four speed tranny.

yeah I would say about 20mpg if your easy on it, but who is when they have the power?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2009 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Hey Pontiac Kid, do you still think you're going to want this motor? If not, please let me know because I'd like to get it out of the garage. I'm trying to clean up and if you don't think you can use it, then I'll sell it on eBay.

Thanks,

------------------
Todd,

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C