Started on: 02-07-2011 12:50 AM
Replies: 36
Last post by: NickD3.4 on 02-11-2011 12:32 AM
NickD3.4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post
well, after much looking, debate, and options, I found the M-4 I like. Its a Sig 516 patrol It has a 3 position gas regulator like an FN FAL, and it uses the proven and reliable short stroke gas piston system of the Sig 550, the Swedish main battle rifle. This is one of the best M16's for the money in my opinion, and you wont have the finicky issues of a direct impingement gas system. They have been covered in mud, racked and fire flawlessly without a hiccup. They have been tested to be just as reliable as an AK.

[This message has been edited by NickD3.4 (edited 02-07-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post
That is Sweet.. I don't say that lightly.. I had to look it up 1st..
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by billpapps:

That is Sweet.. I don't say that lightly.. I had to look it up 1st..

Yeah, I'm wondering how I didn't know about this rifle sooner! This is what our boys should be using.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I can get just the top to drop on one of mine. Bet it is fairly expensive.
D B Cooper

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 05:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for D B CooperSend a Private Message to D B CooperDirect Link to This Post
LOL the first think I thought reading the thread title was that you were shopping for a Sherman
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NickD3.4:

well, after much looking, debate, and options, I found the M-4 I like. Its a Sig 516 patrol It has a 3 position gas regulator like an FN FAL, and it uses the proven and reliable short stroke gas piston system of the Sig 550, the Swedish main battle rifle. This is one of the best M16's for the money in my opinion, and you wont have the finicky issues of a direct impingement gas system. They have been covered in mud, racked and fire flawlessly without a hiccup. They have been tested to be just as reliable as an AK.

Explain the sights on that one please.
Ballpark figure on the price as pictured? (if ya would rather not, that's ok)
dsnover

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Looks like the sights are something along the lines of a Trijicon holographic sight (I can't make out the brand from the picture, so could be an EOTech or equivalent too). Nice.

FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Looks like troy industries folding front and rear sights and an eotech 512 holographic sight on the rail. No start a flame war but the gas inpingment system isn't all that bad. You just have to clean/maintaine your weapon and you won't have any problems. Now my ar with the gas piston is way cleaner after a day of shooting which is just fine in my book. Nice piece man!

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

first ad I found Get two at $1371; you didn't get me anything for Christmas.

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Looks like fold-down irons and an Eotech Holographic. Should look something like this when up:

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

Looks like troy industries folding front and rear sights and an eotech 512 holographic sight on the rail.

Whoops, FP beat me to it. Well, maybe my pics will help.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 02-07-2011).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Bayonet lug?
PFF
System Bot
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

The rifle retails for $1,300, which is an amazing price in my opinion. This is not my personal rifle, but the red dot sight looks to be an Eotech Halo sight. If its the real name brand, it retails for $400. In this configuration , it would cost $1,700.

A basic in the box model comes with a Sig brand red dot and quick release sling for $1,400. The rifle itself does not come with iron sights, but for not much money, you can buy some combat back up flip up sights and mount them. I would prefer that anyway to fixed sights.
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

NickD3.4

3383 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

Looks like troy industries folding front and rear sights and an eotech 512 holographic sight on the rail. No start a flame war but the gas inpingment system isn't all that bad. You just have to clean/maintaine your weapon and you won't have any problems. Now my ar with the gas piston is way cleaner after a day of shooting which is just fine in my book. Nice piece man!

I agree, the DI system isn't bad. I may have to use this as my patrol rifle, so I want that extra confidence it will go bang with my life on the line. I also like the fact it has an adjustable regulator for gas pressures.

This is what ultimately sold me on the gun. My friends DI rock river would not have fired after this.

Shortly before my arrival in New Hampshire, SIG Sauer’s defense program manager, Robert Hirt, ran one of the 14½"-barreled prototypes through a 20,000-round torture test. The rifle ran without cleaning and only periodic oiling, and there was only a single failure to feed. Hirt and I fired the rifle at the SIG Sauer Academy ranges with a variety of 5.56x45 mm NATO/.223 Rem. ammunition ranging from light to heavyweight loadings, including frangible ammunition. A 30-round magazine was loaded with a mixture of all these, and then Hirt ripped off a 30-round shot string without a single malfunction.
To further demonstrate the rifle’s reliability, the same rifle was run through environmental torture tests. It was loaded and placed on “safe” and then dragged through sand. After the gun was inundated with sand, and after ensuring the bore was clear, Hirt once again loaded and fired a full magazine without a single hiccup. The final test was the most impressive—and don’t try this at home. A shallow trench was dug and the rifle buried in a bath of mud with the consistency ofwet concrete. After remaining there for a minute or so, Hirt pulled out the rifle and, after checking for bore obstructions, chambered a round and fired until the rifle ran dry. Once again, not a single malfunction.
ArticlesBlogsVideos
No Related Articles
Driving Change
Once the rifle was cleaned in a barrel of water, we headed back to the company’s headquarters to take a close, detailed look at the test rifle as well as a 16"-barreled SIG516 Patrol version. “Although the SIG516 brings a lot of improvements to the table, the gas-piston system is the most significant of them,” Hirt told me. He explained in detail how a standard direct-impingement system drives not only carbon and fouling into the action, but also excessive heat; the result is a system in which oil quickly evaporates, and lubrication is necessary to keep an AR running reliably.
The SIG516’s push-rod gas system is designed to reduce this effect by isolating heat and fouling forward of the action and above the barrel, keeping the critical action and chamber area of the rifle clean and cool. In addition, any excess gas in the self-cleaning system is vented out and downward in the forward portion of the handguard just to the rear of the rifle’s gas block through two vent holes in the piston rod.
The SIG516 features a three-position gas regulator located within the Picatinny rail-topped gas block. Sporting a round, grooved knob, the regulator has three markings: a small white dot, a larger white dot and a small red dot. The regulator is locked into position by a spring-loaded plunger on the forward face of the gas block and can be adjusted without tools. A prominent white line on the upper right side of the block aligns with the dots and offers a visual cue to the gas system’s setting.

[This message has been edited by NickD3.4 (edited 02-07-2011).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Since you guys are very knowledgeable about these guns, what would be a good ar-15 rifle to purchase now? I have some hunting rifles but I want to add something with a little more firepower. I want to do this now while the prices are still within reach. I remember with the AR's were around five-six hundred dollars. Just from looking there seems to be so many variations and new trends.
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

Since you guys are very knowledgeable about these guns, what would be a good ar-15 rifle to purchase now? I have some hunting rifles but I want to add something with a little more firepower. I want to do this now while the prices are still within reach. I remember with the AR's were around five-six hundred dollars. Just from looking there seems to be so many variations and new trends.

how much do you want to spend, and what accessories do you want. Do you want just a good basic rifle, one just for target practice, or one that may be used as a defense weapon?
brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post

I'm guessing by more firepower you mean something that has more capacity? Otherwise I'm sure whatever hunting rifles you have pack more punch than the 5.56 round. AR's can be had now for $600-700 for a basic gun so they aren't much more than what you remember. My father built one for under $600 last year.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
I want something in the 5.56 caliber that I can get a good 30 rd magazine, and is semi-auto. I know there are many options, but when I search online there are just tons of rifles. When I went to look locally, I saw some low priced SKS rifles, and some AR-15 looking rifles chambered in .22 (I guess just for plinking). Most firearms really hold there value, so I am not worried aobut the money. If it is a rifle I like I have no problem with a grand, or so. Again, I am thinking in a few years these guns will be outlawed and even if they are not the price is really going to jump.
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

I want something in the 5.56 caliber that I can get a good 30 rd magazine, and is semi-auto. I know there are many options, but when I search online there are just tons of rifles. When I went to look locally, I saw some low priced SKS rifles, and some AR-15 looking rifles chambered in .22 (I guess just for plinking). Most firearms really hold there value, so I am not worried aobut the money. If it is a rifle I like I have no problem with a grand, or so. Again, I am thinking in a few years these guns will be outlawed and even if they are not the price is really going to jump.

http://www.google.com/produ...m=2&ved=0CBgQ8wIwAQ#

This AR-15 is only $772.00. I have heard good things about Stag, and would consider getting this model if I were you.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
So if I wanted to purchase that would I just go to my local firearms dealer and ask him to order it? Or, order it online and they will mail it to the local gun dealer? I know there are many restrictions on firearms. There are a lot of firearms dealers around but most are handguns and hunting rifles, and it seems if you ask any questions you dont really get answers. Often I find they just want to sale you what they got there in the store.

How do you guys shop?
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
I want one. Just slap an ACOG on that and BAM! I like my Rail Mounted Hand Grip Better too.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 02-07-2011).]

NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post
this video shows everything about the 516. got to 5:30 into the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFZ3yUMH5IA
PFF
System Bot
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

So if I wanted to purchase that would I just go to my local firearms dealer and ask him to order it? Or, order it online and they will mail it to the local gun dealer? I know there are many restrictions on firearms. There are a lot of firearms dealers around but most are handguns and hunting rifles, and it seems if you ask any questions you dont really get answers. Often I find they just want to sale you what they got there in the store.

How do you guys shop?

order it online, and have it sent to a local shop, or you can call and request they order it.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

I want one. Just slap an ACOG on that and BAM! I like my Rail Mounted Hand Grip Better too.

Here is my hand grip, I think its cool and incredibly useful .

First its a hand grip, then at a push of a button.........

BAM!! Its a Bi-Pod.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 02-07-2011).]

NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

Here is my hand grip, I think its cool and incredibly useful .

First its a hand grip, then at a push of a button.........

BAM!! Its a Bi-Pod.

tat neat, where did you get it?
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by NickD3.4:

tat neat, where did you get it?

The Army gave it to me. Its got a website on it though. www.grippod.com They are $150 through www.uscav.com
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

The Army gave it to me. Its got a website on it though. www.grippod.com They are $150 through www.uscav.com

bit pricey, but cool.
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post

Hey nick this is the mako bipod grip. I have one on my ar and it works great. very durable construction. the only drawback is that it is a little on the fat side. with that in mind it still fits in my small a$$ hand just fine. they also make one now with a mount for a flashlight in the front. I picked mine up for 119 buck from cheaperthandirt.com.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Boy did I get this one wrong, I was thinking you said Z4 and I was hoping you were going to get a wagon.
Guns kill people (joke)
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, when I saw M4, I expected a thread about a BMW. But this is better.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

How do you guys shop?

http://galleryofguns.com/

Shop online, then when ready to buy you click on "Quote" and find a store that can get it and what their price is, then you order it online and pick it up from the store you selected.
They don't carry everything, but it's a good place to shop and frequently has video reviews of various weapons.
billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Yeah, when I saw M4, I expected a thread about a BMW. But this is better.

HAHA When I seen M4 I was thinking M4 sherman tank. Thinking,, Now this guy means to (blank) something up...
PFF
System Bot
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by billpapps:

HAHA When I seen M4 I was thinking M4 sherman tank. Thinking,, Now this guy means to (blank) something up...

funny
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Ooh, I see it's also offered in 7.62x51 / .308Win as the Sig 716.
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
I think a suppressed, SBR, 9mm is the best variant of the M4.

Not mine, and yes it is legal with 400 dollars of tax stamps and BATFE hoop jumping.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 02-10-2011).]

dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Another. This is a gemtech Talon upper.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 02-10-2011).]

NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Ooh, I see it's also offered in 7.62x51 / .308Win as the Sig 716.

yes it is.
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

NickD3.4

3383 posts
Member since Jan 2008
in case you guys missed it, watch this video. go to 5 minutes in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFZ3yUMH5IA

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay