Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Now the muslums want to demolish the pyramids.... (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Now the muslums want to demolish the pyramids.... by MidEngineManiac
Started on: 07-11-2012 10:24 AM
Replies: 53
Last post by: rinselberg on 09-17-2012 11:34 AM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2012 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Are these the peaceful "real" Muslims, or the crazy, militant "extremists?"
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 504
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Egypt has a long tradition of trying to erase their past. But this is not a mere case of defacing a statue. What a nut job!
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Sheesh...what next.
http://freethoughtnation.co...her-antiquities.html

This isn't the first time.

The larger of the three pyramids at Giza had a smallish portion of one of the corners blown off by a terrorist bomber many years ago (I think we're talking like 10 years ago now).

It's really a shame. I consider myself extremely lucky that I got to visit Egypt for all that it had to offer back in the early 80s. At the time I visited, Egypt was peaceful... and far less commercialized (although I was still staying in a Sheraton). The pyramids have really not weathered well... and even after everything has since been fenced off, tombs, step pyramids, etc are all getting really worn out. This is the last thing Egypt needs...
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
Pagans, heathens and atheists are all under assault from muslims...
User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post07-11-2012 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post
I sort of was expecting this once they said the 'brotherhood' now runs the place.

While it will be a shame, the human race has done this many many times over our time here on earth. One can only imagine the knowledge and history lost forever due to short sighted people.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

The pyramids have really not weathered well... and even after everything has since been fenced off, tombs, step pyramids, etc are all getting really worn out.

Considering they're 4500 years old I think they've weathered extremely well. Show me any structure that has done better. And, yes, I've been there.

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:This is the last thing Egypt needs...

I agree.
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-11-2012 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

This isn't the first time.

The larger of the three pyramids at Giza had a smallish portion of one of the corners blown off by a terrorist bomber many years ago (I think we're talking like 10 years ago now).

It's really a shame. I consider myself extremely lucky that I got to visit Egypt for all that it had to offer back in the early 80s. At the time I visited, Egypt was peaceful... and far less commercialized (although I was still staying in a Sheraton). The pyramids have really not weathered well... and even after everything has since been fenced off, tombs, step pyramids, etc are all getting really worn out. This is the last thing Egypt needs...

I always wanted to visit too, but even if i had the $ and time, after they closed so much of it down to the public due to stupid people, figured it wasn't worth it to even want to any more. ( yes the heat would have most likely killed me, but to go and actually wander around inside the great pyramid would be worth the risk )

Sad to think that that the remains of that empire has stood for thousands of years as a estimate to human perseverance, but in our lifetime we may see it wiped from existence.

I had not heard of an attack on one of the pyramids, but that doesn't surprise me in the least.

[This message has been edited by User00013170 (edited 07-11-2012).]

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-11-2012 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

User00013170

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by crashyoung:

Pagans, heathens and atheists are all under assault from muslims...

Everyone is..
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post
That report (from the original post) was a little hyped up.

I'm not here to sing the praises of Egypt's new president or the Muslim Brotherhood, but I think it's a pretty broad-based coalition of people that mostly would regard the idea of destroying Egypt's antiquities as nuts.

It's kind of condescending towards the people of Egypt (as a whole) to give undue credence to this report, as if there were some non-zero likelihood that the new Egyptian government will ever do this.
PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Come on, stop being so rational, we're talking about "muslums" here.

But, for the record, I really dislike muslim extremists.

Originally posted by rinselberg:
snip

crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by User00013170:

Everyone is..

I know, I'm one of their heathens...
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

"Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past". ~ George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 3
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-12-2012 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post
it be a shame.. , I doubt they'd ever bulldose them.. even the thought of it is bad enough..
but one never knows, some do strap bombs around themselves and go boom.. so.. what we think as crazy might not even hit that scale to them..
as humans, as a group. we're so smart ,we're stupid
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
Cool more fear mongering. I didn't see where anyone in the country where the Pyramids are said anything about their destruction.

According to several reports in the Arabic media, prominent Muslim clerics have begun to call for the demolition of Egypt's Great Pyramids—or, in the words of Saudi Sheikh Ali bin Said al-Rabi'i, those "symbols of paganism," which Egypt's Salafi party has long planned to cover with wax. Most recently, Bahrain's "Sheikh of Sunni Sheikhs" and President of National Unity, Abd al-Latif al-Mahmoud, called on Egypt's new president, Muhammad Morsi, to "destroy the Pyramids and accomplish what Amr bin al-As could not."

Many on here have called for the destruction of the whole region,

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 07-12-2012).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

Cool more fear mongering. I didn't see where anyone in the country where the Pyramids are said anything about their destruction.

Funny guy, maybe we should just let everybody do thr "crazy, funny things" they joke about and pay for it later down the road.

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-12-2012 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

it be a shame.. , I doubt they'd ever bulldose them..

No, they would blow them up ( the best they could anyway.. ) and leave their rubble as a 'statement'.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-12-2012 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post

No, they would blow them up ( the best they could anyway.. ) and leave their rubble as a 'statement'.

that be a shame, no matter how they disfigure them
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes...the christians tried a few times too, but didnt have the means back then......

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-12-2012 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Only the people. Not the relics.
PFF
System Bot
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Only the people. Not the relics.

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
The reason they're still there is because they couldn't have picked a more stable shape for their architecture. Plus the sheer size of them. I'm having a brain fart. Wasn't it the Taliban that destroyed the historic giant Budha statues?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Considering they're 4500 years old I think they've weathered extremely well. Show me any structure that has done better. And, yes, I've been there.

Hah, was this really a question, or an excuse to show us that you've been to Egypt?

Originally posted by rinselberg:

That report (from the original post) was a little hyped up.

I'm not here to sing the praises of Egypt's new president or the Muslim Brotherhood, but I think it's a pretty broad-based coalition of people that mostly would regard the idea of destroying Egypt's antiquities as nuts.

It's kind of condescending towards the people of Egypt (as a whole) to give undue credence to this report, as if there were some non-zero likelihood that the new Egyptian government will ever do this.

The problem in Egypt has more to do with the poor... but specifically, the religious poor. The poor in Egypt (religious) don't really care that much about their heritage... they are more concerned with not being poor. During the initial days of the ousting of Mubarak, many of the museums were ransacked. Unfortunately, they destroyed (and stole) hundreds and hundreds of old relics. The worst part is that they didn't really care WHAT damage they did, they were just trying to get to anything that was gold. Old wooden artifacts were destroyed simply because they were in the way of golden artifacts (a lot of which were stolen and melted down).

Of course, Egypt's tombs and treasures have been ransacked for thousands of years by nearly everyone on the planet... but in more modern times, it just seems really ashame that what is left, is so unprotected. Eventually, the intelligent (middle class / non-fundamentalist) citizens started blocking and providing vigilanti protection to the museums as the wealthier of the people know this is their culture... and provides a lot of tourist dollars.

Anyway... the point is... there is a huge population of poor people in Egypt, and the majority of them are really only concerned about the fact that they are poor and could really give two shits about the pyramids. If religious leaders there offer money to destroy the temples and pyramids... they'll be falling all over themselves to be the first to volunteer.

Originally posted by dratts:

The reason they're still there is because they couldn't have picked a more stable shape for their architecture. Plus the sheer size of them. I'm having a brain fart. Wasn't it the Taliban that destroyed the historic giant Budha statues?

No, that was being done in Thailand and Malaysia by Islamic radicals. The Taliban is the off-shoot army that was created by Pakistan's ISI.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 07-12-2012).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, I was pretty sure that my brain wasn't in the right place when I blamed the Taliban. I'm getting older and I'm Not getting better.
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-12-2012 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Hey, even i have my limits
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:Hah, was this really a question, or an excuse to show us that you've been to Egypt?

No, it was in response to your statement. The pix were just comic relief...

The pyramids have really not weathered well... and even after everything has since been fenced off, tombs, step pyramids, etc are all getting really worn out.

On this you're wrong. It was the Taliban in Afghanistan in 2001 that destroyed the giant Buddha statues: http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...uction.2C_March_2001

No, that was being done in Thailand and Malaysia by Islamic radicals. The Taliban is the off-shoot army that was created by Pakistan's ISI.

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I kind of thought that I remembered the Taliban destroying them. Although I'm not religious I hate seeing history removed for religious purposes.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:
Thanks, I kind of thought that I remembered the Taliban destroying them. Although I'm not religious I hate seeing history removed for religious purposes.

yes...but that is classic religious MO.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Only if we get to blow up mosques too, starting with the one in Jerusalem.

My guess is it would be very hard to demolish Giza. It would be like trying to remove a mountain. I dont even know if a nuclear weapon would do it.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
It must be an election year for them. The last cleric or leader in 2001 asked for the same thing and within a few months or years he too (just like the idols) was dead.
PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Are you talking about the Buddha statues in Afghanistan? Then the Taliban leader you're referring to is Mullah Omar and he's very much alive...

Originally posted by madcurl:

It must be an election year for them. The last cleric or leader in 2001 asked for the same thing and within a few months or years he too (just like the idols) was dead.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

On this you're wrong. It was the Taliban in Afghanistan in 2001 that destroyed the giant Buddha statues: http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...uction.2C_March_2001

I stand corrected!

But, really... I suppose we're both right because Islamic radicals are destroying Buddhist statues everywhere.
I'm more familiar with South-East Asia since I lived there for a little bit.

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-13-2012 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Only if we get to blow up mosques too, starting with the one in Jerusalem.

My guess is it would be very hard to demolish Giza. It would be like trying to remove a mountain. I dont even know if a nuclear weapon would do it.

Put enough explosives inside the kings chamber and if it doesn't fall it will be ruined anyway.
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-13-2012 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

User00013170

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Are you talking about the Buddha statues in Afghanistan? Then the Taliban leader you're referring to is Mullah Omar and he's very much alive...

I'm not religious in the slightest, and i still hate seeing things like that happen.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes...good 'ol jew god.....

Thou shalt have none other gods before me.
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

same excuse the chrishuns use too.....
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

I'm not religious in the slightest, and i still hate seeing things like that happen.

Me, too. Religious monuments often have great artistic and historic value and the religious nutjobs of all denominations should have some respect. But can one really expect that?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Nope. the other idiot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...mmed_Islam_Mohammadi
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Nope. the other idiot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...mmed_Islam_Mohammadi

Yep, that idiot is dead
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
We need a swordfish response to the terrorism...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock