Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Single and Dual front hood strut kits FS (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Single and Dual front hood strut kits FS by sluppy123
Started on: 02-23-2003 12:44 AM
Replies: 88
Last post by: USFiero on 04-06-2006 10:49 AM
sluppy123

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
See this thread for all the information about the design of this system. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/026301.html
This is what the final “kit” looks like.

What you see is what you will get, minus the strut itself. Both single and dual strut kit’s are avaliable. When ordering the single strut kit please specify which side of the car you want to mount the strut (passenger side or driver side) All required mounts, bushings and fasteners are included as well as installation instructions

You will need to provide the approiate gas strut, both the single and dual strut systems use the same strut. I used the Strong Arm brand #4422. The strut is for the 1982-92 Camaro, Firebird, or Trans Am w/steel hood. Cost per strut is around $17

The strut mounting plate that attaches to the hood hinge has multiple holes drilled and tapped in them, this allows the strut to be mounted in different spots. The same strut can lift both a stock hood if bolted lower on the mount and lift a heavily modified hood if bolted higher up.

Installation does require drilling two 3/16” holes through the panel next to the headlight mounting bolt, It’s not the easiest place to get a drill but after the holes are drilled the rest bolts on. Also the radiator reservoir MAY need to be moved toward the center on the car to clear the strut on the passenger side. This can be done by slotting the mounting holes on the tank and bolting it back on.

-Single strut kit $18 plus $5 shipped anywhere in the US
-Dual strut kit $36 plus $5 shipped anywhere in the US
Any orders outside the US contact me about shipping cost

Payment can be made through Paypal as long as payment is made WITHOUT using a credit card(I don’t want to give them anymore money than they already have) The account name with paypal is bsanburn@neb.rr.com Payment can also be made with check or money order, please PM or E-mail me for address. Please include your forum name with any payment.

[This message has been edited by sluppy123 (edited 02-28-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sqoach

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Alright! I'll take a kit!

One question. How can the dual strut setup not be too strong since you're using two of the same kind as the single strut kit. Did that make sense? Not sure if I worded that right, I'm just a little tired right now. Time for bed.

------------------

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
I forgot to send Payment via Paypal on Tuesday.

------------------
A coward dies a thousand deaths..................A soldier dies but once. Red 86 SE

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 07-31-2003).]

A_Pegasi

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiDirect Link to This Post
I'd like a dual set. Since you said there are only a few sets available, please let me know if you can fill my order. Once I know you have a set for me I'll send payment via Paypal.

------------------
A_Pegasi
RCHal486@aol.com

fiero77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero77Send a Private Message to fiero77Direct Link to This Post
I would take a single kit if it is strong enough to hold the hood up while at the same time not so strong that it pushes the corner up when the hood is closed. Make sense? I would like the kit for the driver side. Thanks.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Brian, put me down for a dual strut kit. I'll figure out a day when I can come down and pick it up and save myself the shipping charges...I AM a cheap b@stard, after all.

------------------

Mike...86 GT 4 Speed
"Sucks to be me..."

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
sqoach- The reason you can use the same strut is mechanical advantage, by moving the mounting location you drastacially change the mechanical advantage.

fiero77- If installed correctly The single strut kit will easily hold up the hood without any upward push when the hood is closed.

I added a list of names to my first post, If yours is on it, a kit is reserved for you

[This message has been edited by sluppy123 (edited 02-23-2003).]

kyote

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a question first...

Will the hood open up by itself after you open it by hand a certain amount..?? I think I worded that right..get my drift..??
Or do you have to open it by "hand" all the way?

------------------

'85 SE - '86 Fastback SE - '99 Chevy K-1500 Z-71 - '00 HD 1200XL Sportster

KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVDirect Link to This Post
I'll take a Dual kit!
Thanks Kevin

------------------
MINNESOTA FIEROS FOREVER PRESIDENT
NORTH CENTRAL DIRECTOR OF CFOG-I

1985 GT BLACK W/SILVER BOTTOM-94 S1-3800 V6, 4 SPD AUTO, IMSA WING, KOING MONSOON'S 17"S ON F & 18"S ON R, FLUSHMOUNT HEADLIGHTS, COIL-OVERS)
www.fiero.mn.org www.cfog-i.com

[This message has been edited by KEV (edited 02-23-2003).]

Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
Please put me down for a dual kit!

brucee10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brucee10Send a Private Message to brucee10Direct Link to This Post
I'll take a dual setup. I hope you haven't sold out yet.

Bruce

PFF
System Bot
brucee10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brucee10Send a Private Message to brucee10Direct Link to This Post

brucee10

15 posts
Member since Dec 2002
I'll take a dual setup. I hope you haven't sold out yet.

Bruce

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
kyote- The hood will open by itself after it's lifted about half way, although I would keep my hand on it and stop it before it opens all the way(there is a lot of force in the struts and when they stop pushing the hood stops moving)
mypontiac2

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mypontiac2Send a Private Message to mypontiac2Direct Link to This Post
I'll take a dual set up. I'll send payment out next friday.
A_Pegasi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiDirect Link to This Post
You have payment and a P.M.

------------------
A_Pegasi
RCHal486@aol.com

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
Where did you get the strut? I know you said what kind it is, but where do you actually get it? Any auto parts store? Was thinking about maybe building my own, gives me a good project.
Matt

------------------

Red 86 SE 2.8

Rate me if I've helped or just if you liked my responce.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Put me down for a dual set... payment coming via PayPal right now.

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

tomanyfieros

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tomanyfierosSend a Private Message to tomanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
i will take a dual setup!
i will have to put some $$ in my bros paypal.. i can do that probly 2morrow, and paypal ya the $$ wensday!
please let me know if you are not sold out. If not, i want a dual setup!
Thanx
Jason

------------------

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Put me in for 2 dual kits please... Let me know if you still have enough and I'll send payment.

------------------

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
fiero go fast- Any part store that carriers replacment gas struts will have them.

[This message has been edited by sluppy123 (edited 02-25-2003).]

jimmybpei

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmybpeiSend a Private Message to jimmybpeiDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a picture of where the 2 holes in the hood are to be drilled. as well a pic with the bracket mounted to the hood.

Thankx

------------------

PFF
System Bot
sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post

Plans have changed, I now just about an unlimted number of parts. So if you would like to purchace a kit now or anytime in the future post here or PM/E-mail inquires directly to me. In a day or two I will remove the list of names in my first post so there is no confusion.

Thanks

HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
I'll take a dual.
HIOSILVER

Originally posted by sluppy123:

Plans have changed, I now just about an unlimted number of parts. So if you would like to purchace a kit now or anytime in the future post here or PM/E-mail inquires directly to me. In a day or two I will remove the list of names in my first post so there is no confusion.

Thanks

Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Now just to make sure...

there is no visible evidence of the strut when looking at the closed hood right?

if so, I'll take a single for the driver's side.
thanks...

[This message has been edited by Oslo (edited 02-25-2003).]

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
When the hood is closed there is absolutely no upward push from the strut, so the hood doesn't look bowed or warped.
A_Pegasi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiDirect Link to This Post
Received the dual set-up in the mail today! Will install this weekend if the weather cooperates and post comments about installation and pix.

------------------
A_Pegasi
RCHal486@aol.com

tomanyfieros

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomanyfierosSend a Private Message to tomanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
hey sluppy... sorry, but some things have came up, and i cant get them.. please remove my name
sorry,
Jason
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I received my set in today's mail - great quality... I may stop at the parts store shortly and pick up the gas struts (and if the weather is sparing, I may consider installing them this weekend as well).

Thanks Sluppy- great service!

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
Bump to the top, I've got plenty of parts left.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Sluppy, heads-up... you have Pay-mail!
Two88GTs

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Two88GTsSend a Private Message to Two88GTsDirect Link to This Post
I received the kit today. Looks very nice, thanks! Now, only if the weather will cooperate.
PFF
System Bot
sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2003 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
blakeinspace- I sent you a PM
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2003 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
I just sent you paypal money for the single driver's side kit.
thanks.

------------------

Custom Console Subwoofer
K&N Filter in Edelbrock open air setup
Splitfire Wires
piston bore: 4.030

sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Money order on the way...finally
A_Pegasi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiDirect Link to This Post
Installed over the weekend. Took pictures, and will post as soon as I have a chance to upload. Well thought out design. Sluppy you did an excellent job and I give the kit a thumbs up, but I've got two recommendations.

1. To sluppy: The kit needs longer screws for the plate that attaches to the car frame. Lock washers should also be added. The ones provided were too short to accomodate a lock washer and the nut provided. I went to 3/4 inch stainless and used bolts with the nylon locking inserts.

2. To buyers: Print out the pictures Sluppy provided in the first post of this thread. The directions provided are fine, but color pictures are easier to read than the black & white ones included.

One other thing. As Sluppy said, space in the headlight area is tight and rubbing can be a problem. Rather than slot the coolant bottle hole to move it over, I used a grinder to reduce the height of one of the bolts holding the headlight doors.

------------------
A_Pegasi
RCHal486@aol.com

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2003 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
A_Pegasi- Thanks for posting you comments, about the bolts. I choose to use the shortest bolt possible so it would be less noticible, no washer because the burr from the drill hole locks the nut on. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

I've been getting tons of PM's and E-mail asking if the kits are still available. YES they are avalible and will be for awhile.

Brian

A_Pegasi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2003 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiDirect Link to This Post
Here are the Pics I promised.

------------------
A_Pegasi
RCHal486@aol.com

sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Got my kit today and already installed it! There were a few minor problems I ran into, but fixed them without much trouble. It takes a little effort to close the hood, but it's not too bad.
Also, take sluppy's advice and hang on to that hood! If you let go of the hood while opening it, it will fly open!
It took me about 1.5 hours to install this. Pretty simple, and you don't need any special tools. A few sockets, a wrench, and a drill were all I can think of that I used. Also needed a file to round out the holes a bit on the gas struts I bought.
Much better than stock!
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2003 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
This is a bump for those that weren't aware these were available.I would also like a dual set.In case I missed it,will you send me an address to send a money order to.

------------------
Question my ability,question my intelligence,never question my integrity!

87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
wow!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock