Started on: 03-11-2007 05:08 AM
Replies: 26
Last post by: Tha Driver on 09-19-2007 12:55 PM
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2007 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
No takers on the other FS ads, so....
I have a good running '88 T-Top Fiero coupe/notchback that I would like to sell or trade. The car is one of either 54 or 200-something built, depending on your source. :-) Four cyl. automatic, factory T-Tops, air, cruise, premium sterio (with eq.), map pocket, alloy wheels. Needs paint, seat covers, & has the usual console curling that every Fiero has. Valued ~ $2,500 (would sell for that). Pics can be emailed.
I'm thinking that if I don't sell it I'm going to make a gull-wing car out of it - *after* I finish the Black Formula, the GT LSP, the V8 Cabriolet, the V8 Z car, & a couple other projects... SAVE ME FROM MYSELF! LOL!
I'm in N.E. Ga. - would like to trade for mechanicly sound sports car, muscle car, or unique vehicle. Wrecked or needing body/paint work OK. Would love an RX7, TVR, Vette, 'Cuda, Roadrunner, Subaru Brat, Bricklin, Porsche, Delorean, AWD Stealth, kitcar - whatcha' got?
If interested, email me at ImThaDriver at yahoo.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

I checked today and... this is the oldest I've ever been.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2007 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIDirect Link to This Post
Could you post the vin# I can give you the stats on your t-top car if it is a true CJB fiero t-top, maybe that would help you sell it. you can pm me also the interior color, exterior color and if it is stick or auto.
Later
Fiero John-WI
pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2007 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
It is worth about 1000 bucks to me. Problem is it is in GA.
I would have to take it down to the chassis and replace everything to GT. Springs and body and interior and then put in a 3.4 w/5spd.
Ship me the roof from the bottom of the pillars up.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2007 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:
Ship me the roof from the bottom of the pillars up.

Please don't do that to a CJB...put down the sawzall and slowly back away...

I would suggest either building it up on the original chassis or looking for another t-top to cut up.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2007 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
The vin is 162PE11R75P208571
If I don't sell or trade it, eventually I'll biuld it. I have everything to convert it to a V6 GT, except for springs (are they different?), & I would go to coilovers/lowering springs anyway. However, if I build a gull-wing car I'd go to a V8 or 3800 or something other than the 2.8 that I have.
Bottom line is it's a GREAT car to build either completely original or mild/wild custom, depending on your tastes.
As I said it's an automatic: red ext. Grey int.
Having said that, Pokey you can have the top for $1500 + shipping. :-) But why would you go to that much trouble when it's a LOT eaiser to just build THIS car?
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

I *thought* I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2007 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2007 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

Having said that, Pokey you can have the top for $1500 + shipping. :-) But why would you go to that much trouble when it's a LOT eaiser to just build THIS car?
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Well I agree it is easier to just build that car but the math Say's no. Complete T tops are about 750 to me so what makes it better is it is already part of a car. The car is worthless in general except for the t ttops as far as value. Add shipping and everything gets splatted down to this sucks.
I would probably give you 1500 for it and just add all my parts to it. I have everything ten times over to make this a great car but shipping just kills everything. With gas at three bucks a gallon it doesn't even pay to drive it and choke everything else up to adventure trip. I would love to have that car just because it is a CJB. I already have a new in the box original TTOP kit here not installed. I really would like the vin number match though. It is just too bad we are not closer.
Heck just send me the two upper and lower vin numbers and steam a few of the stickers off and ship those to me.

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2007 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Roof section cut off is about $600-700 and shipping to CA would make it senseless. And I agree with JScott that if it is in fact a CJB that it shouldn't be cut.

CJB coupes numbered 93 in 1988 I think. It was by far the more rare of the 88 T-tops. I think any of the above mentioned options for the car would be a shame but the owner of the car has to make that determination I guess.

Needing paint and all the interior work, I think $2500 is a bit optimistic for a coupe. Acording to Paul Vargyas' Fiero price guide, this car in Excellent shape should be worth around $2000. My thought is that you could either adjust the price accordingly, or you would probably be better off keeping it and building it as you said.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2007 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

Roof section cut off is about $600-700 and shipping to CA would make it senseless. And I agree with JScott that if it is in fact a CJB that it shouldn't be cut.

CJB coupes numbered 93 in 1988 I think. It was by far the more rare of the 88 T-tops. I think any of the above mentioned options for the car would be a shame but the owner of the car has to make that determination I guess.

Needing paint and all the interior work, I think $2500 is a bit optimistic for a coupe. Acording to Paul Vargyas' Fiero price guide, this car in Excellent shape should be worth around $2000. My thought is that you could either adjust the price accordingly, or you would probably be better off keeping it and building it as you said.

Well just goes to show: just because a car is rare dosen't mean it's worth anything. I would think someone would want a solid T-Top car, though. One of 50 or 100 or 200 or whatever - how many cars can you say that about??? Not even the Indys are that rare. $2,000 in excellent shape? That's rediculous! It costs $3,500 + to paint one (& do it right), whether it a T-Top or not. You'll spend 6 grand + to fully restore *any* Fiero, & then all you have is a car that was made in the hundreds of thousands.
I agree that it shouldn't be cut, but if it sits here long enough that just may happen.
I really don't care if I part it out or not, but I'm not going to give it away. If I didn't have so many other projects I'd start building it today. Like I said I have everything to turn it into a fastback V6 GT car anyway. But I'm not going to spend my time building something that someone else *may* want, when I have so many projects that *I* want now.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Hey Leroy, what'cha doin' dragging that chain across the floor?
Leroy: "Ever tried *pushing* a chain?"
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2007 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

Well I agree it is easier to just build that car but the math Say's no. Complete T tops are about 750 to me so what makes it better is it is already part of a car. The car is worthless in general except for the t ttops as far as value. Add shipping and everything gets splatted down to this sucks.
I would probably give you 1500 for it and just add all my parts to it. I have everything ten times over to make this a great car but shipping just kills everything. With gas at three bucks a gallon it doesn't even pay to drive it and choke everything else up to adventure trip. I would love to have that car just because it is a CJB. I already have a new in the box original TTOP kit here not installed. I really would like the vin number match though. It is just too bad we are not closer.
Heck just send me the two upper and lower vin numbers and steam a few of the stickers off and ship those to me.

Why even bother answering the post in the first place? If I see a car that I want, but it costs more to ship it than it's worth to me, I don't bother responding to the post/ad AT ALL...
BTW in case you didn't know it's IILEGAL to change out the VINs on cars, & even if you did it STILL wouldn't be an ORIGINAL T-Top car.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Remember 1/2 of the population is below average.
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2007 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I'm not trying to be an ass or even trying to harm your sale. But the facts are that Paul's list is about the most accurate for Fiero values. Even so, his calculations showed my low mile 88 CJB GT in great shape to be worth $7700. I sold it for $6500... No one says you should give the car away. Who would? But you either have to decide if you want to sell it for what it is actually worth (instead of what it is worth to you) or keep it.

You said above that you would take $1500 for the top section... But they regularly sell for around $600. I've sold three of them for that myself. The last 88 T-top coupe I sold went for $1800 and it had been updated with a GT nose and stuff.

I wasn't trying to down your car at all.. Just trying to show you what the market for coupes really is to help you make your decision on whether to keep it or keep trying to sell it. And I know there are lots of people who want a solid T-top car... They just want to pay market value for them. My opinion, which you didn't ask for, is that assuming this car runs good and is dependable then it should bring about $1500 since it needs paint and interior.

But I wish you luck with it. I would love to see Fieros start bringing higher prices and it has to start somewhere. Maybe you are the one that can start it.

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 03-12-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2007 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

I'm not trying to be an ass or even trying to harm your sale. But the facts are that Paul's list is about the most accurate for Fiero values. Even so, his calculations showed my low mile 88 CJB GT in great shape to be worth $7700. I sold it for $6500... No one says you should give the car away. Who would? But you either have to decide if you want to sell it for what it is actually worth (instead of what it is worth to you) or keep it.

You said above that you would take $1500 for the top section... But they regularly sell for around $600. I've sold three of them for that myself. The last 88 T-top coupe I sold went for $1800 and it had been updated with a GT nose and stuff.

I wasn't trying to down your car at all.. Just trying to show you what the market for coupes really is to help you make your decision on whether to keep it or keep trying to sell it. And I know there are lots of people who want a solid T-top car... They just want to pay market value for them. My opinion, which you didn't ask for, is that assuming this car runs good and is dependable then it should bring about $1500 since it needs paint and interior.

But I wish you luck with it. I would love to see Fieros start bringing higher prices and it has to start somewhere. Maybe you are the one that can start it.

That's cool. I know these cars are not bringing what they're worth - because the economy is not what it should be & most folks who have money are not interested in an old Pontiac (except for maybe a big-block GTO).
I priced the top at $1500 just to be a smart-ass myself. :-) I just can't see cutting up a good solid *very* low production car for the T-Tops, when they're available from other sources & cars that are maybe wrecked or rusted out. To me that's just stupid, even if the car is not worth anything. I also know the rear cradle/suspensions from the '88s bring around $750... the radio is worth a fair amount...the front suspension is worth probably $300... lotsa other good parts could be sold....the car (like most old cars) is worth more in parts than complete. But I'm not about parting out a rare car just for a few extra $$$.
Thus the reason I'm offering to trade it. I like all kinds of cool machines, not just one make/brand. I'm sure somebody somewhere has a cool car that I'll like & will appreciate the T-Top for it's true worth, not just the value the current economy places on it.
If I still have it after I finish some other projects, I *will* build it into a *nice* machine. Thing is I get to a stopping point on my projects at times, & I just can't resist starting on something like this when I *have* the V6 & GT parts to make it *really* sharpe (& more in line with what I'd prefer). Then there's the vision of the gull-wing car: as an (automobile) artist it's really hard to resist jumping on something like that even without the resources to finish it. Like I said: save me from myself. ;^D
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Of all the things I've lost over the years, I miss my mind the most!

FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2007 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, it took so long to get back to you here, I have a question who told you it was a factory (CJB) t-top? The reason I ask is I have no records at all in the t-top log as his being a CJB car. Please go out to your fiero lift up the front hood and on the inner fender well is the RPO sticker, and look if you see the 3 letters CJB, if it is there can you take a picture of it. But if it is not there it was added aftermarket, nothing wrong with that if you enjoy t-top fieros. Let me know on here.
Thanks Fiero John-WI
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2007 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
No CJB, but no welding in the winshield post either. What does that mean? There was an aftermarket kit that the DIY'er could buy to put on?
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Dont sweat the petty things; don't pet the sweaty things.
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
That's what was called 'ship-through'. They were installed new by a C&C qualified shop at a dealer's request. Basically, the dealer sent the car to have the tops installed instead of Pontiac sending it. There are slight differences, mostly in the weatherstripping. The shop would have just cut the roof section to install the H-brace. That's why you don't see cuts in the pillars. Still good T-tops but not factory and for anyone looking for collector value it cuts down the value of the car.

I think you're from North GA... It's sorta like a dealer sending a car to Choo Choo Customs for a ground effects kit instead of getting the factory ground effects. It's still cool, but it doesn't have the resale value of the factory version.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
So....the T-Tops are *different* from the "factory" tops? Or are they still made by the same people, & just installed after delivery to the dealer instead of before? I know Pontiac didn't make *or* install any of them.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Pardon my driving; I'm reloading.
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
They are all made by C&C. CJB cars were installed by actual C&C shops and employees. Non-CJB could be installed by C&C approved shops.

But while all the parts were made by C&C, there is a difference in some of the parts between CJB and non-CJB.

And of course, nowadays there are the ones that were installed by someone in their back yard. Just because there is no weld across the pillars doesn't mean they were done originally. JScott did his the same way C&C did and just cut the roof out for the H-panel. It is rare for people to do them this way but it is really the best way. If you ever cut up a Fiero you'll be shocked how flimsy the A-pillars are without the rest of the roof supporting them. And there is really no way to weld all the wraps that are in the steel of the A-pillar so you just have to weld the outside and you then lose a lot of the structural rigidity. Of course, this doesn't apply to your car.. Just for info...
Bearkat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BearkatSend a Private Message to BearkatDirect Link to This Post
I'm very interested! Please email me lots of pics!

------------------
'84 Fiero Sport Coupe
Mods: Cat Delete!

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2007 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

If you ever cut up a Fiero you'll be shocked how flimsy the A-pillars are without the rest of the roof supporting them. And there is really no way to weld all the wraps that are in the steel of the A-pillar so you just have to weld the outside and you then lose a lot of the structural rigidity.

Whenever I have to weld a pillar (I've swapped and chopped a few roofs in my day) I always open up the outer (or inner) panel so that I can weld ALL of the metal together, making *sure* it's at least as strong as it was before. I usually overlap the inner peice with a reinforcement to add even more rigidity. Not everyone does that, though. It's *very* irresponsible not to: I don't want to be the cause of someone's death if involved in a rollover!
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

If you choked a Smurff, what color would he turn?
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2007 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
That's a good way to do it. I figured if I were to ever have to do one, like for a chop or something, that I would run a piece of steel bar down through the pillar to help make it stronger.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2007 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

And of course, nowadays there are the ones that were installed by someone in their back yard. Just because there is no weld across the pillars doesn't mean they were done originally. JScott did his the same way C&C did and just cut the roof out for the H-panel. It is rare for people to do them this way but it is really the best way.

There is no welding involved in installing t-tops. I used the original C&C installation manual. Just cutting and riveting.

I agree market value of a T-top is not like having a Plymouth Superbird where it's worth $200,000 regardless of the condition. Still they are getting more rare everytime one gets parted out.

I made my own 88GT 5 speed T-top because the originals were too hard to find or too expensive once I found them.

Oh and free bump
PFF
System Bot
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2007 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
I have a 52 chevy 2 door hardtop I am no longer interested in keeping, not sure where you are located. Interested in a trade. Let me know, Drew
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2007 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fastcaddy:

I have a 52 chevy 2 door hardtop I am no longer interested in keeping, not sure where you are located. Interested in a trade. Let me know, Drew

Out of probably 100 cars that would be on my list, I don't think a '52 chebby would be one of them. :-) If it was a convertible, now....(or a pre-'36, or Chevelle/Camaro of the right vintage.... :-)
But anyway as my first post said I'm in N.E. Ga. - a bit too far to go just for a look.
I *do* have a couple asking about buying it too.
Thanks anyway,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Dont sweat the petty things; don't pet the sweaty things.
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2007 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
I didnt think so, just thought it wouldnt hurt to try. Good luck, Drew
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Well it *is* an interesting car. Have you been to the HAMB? There's a lot of folks there that would be interested. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Hey! I'm a member of that board! I started hanging out over there when I started building my 34 Ford coupe.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2007 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Bump. I still have the T-Top, still bouncing back & forth between building it or the sunroof car. Leaning toward the sunroof car again right now. Would love to trade the T-Top for something interesting. Also looking for a T-Top Volare or Aspen: condition dosen't matter.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Did you hear about the drugs smuggled in Elmo dolls? They said it was over a million $$$ Sesame street value!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock