Paint jobs - too many colors.... by SamanthaM
Started on: 09-09-2019 02:22 PM
Replies: 13 (573 views)
Last post by: SamanthaM on 09-23-2019 01:03 PM
SamanthaM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2019 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to paint my Dad's old 86 soon. I was curious if most people tend to stick with what ever the car's original color was, or if they do change the color do they still stick with the basic Fiero colors? Just looking for opinions of what looks good, what don't, etc.

This 86SE v6 is silver with a two-toned gray interior. I am considering Wild Cherry or possibly Burple (a deep blue/purple)? The interior is in excellent shape so I would like something that compliments that color, but also something kinda different from the silver?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2019 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to a dealer to look at new cars.
Find a color that makes your eyes pop.
Get the paint color code of that car.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2019 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original silver fades over time, so a fresh paint job in the original color may look really good.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2019 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Painting a car a different colour is more expensive. you need to do prime the car first to get good coverage or else the original colour may bleed through requiring additional coats. An alternative is a vinyl wrap. Lots of colour options as well as patterns and a wrap if done correctly should last for years.

No matter what you choose, just make sure the car is really clean and all waxes, silicone, & oils have been removed. Use a good pre-prep to clean the body of wax and oil after a wash with a tooth-brush. Use a pre-cleaner just before painting or wrapping. As with anything, preparation is the most important part of the process, the cleaner and smoother the surface, the better finish will be.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2019 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am a fan of what fierosound said.

when you see a color on another vehicle, you just kinda know.

but, of course there's more work to do it right. if you stick with the same color you might be able to get away without taking trim off, or some of the body panels. if you do change color, it's a good idea to remove the doors, lower aero pieces, hood, decklid and i might be forgetting some others. we don't have a lot of 'door jams' to worry about, but the paint does creep around the edges of the panels, so you'd definitely notice a change of color when opening a door, or popping the hood if you didn't.
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2019 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am having some one do it professionally but I will be sure to discuss the painting options so if I do change the color, it won't look weird when you open the doors and such.

I really am not a fan of the current silver color. I want something that just pops! I think I will go walk around a car lot and look at colors and see if anything stands out to me. Thanks guys!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2019 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierce_gt:

i am a fan of what fierosound said.

Exactly! Easier to see what it would look like than looking at a paint chip in a book.
https://www.caranddriver.co...int-colors-for-sale/

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-10-2019).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2019 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SamanthaM:

I am having some one do it professionally but I will be sure to discuss the painting options so if I do change the color, it won't look weird when you open the doors and such.

I really am not a fan of the current silver color. I want something that just pops! I think I will go walk around a car lot and look at colors and see if anything stands out to me. Thanks guys!

Since you mentioned 'Burple", that is a current House of Kolor paint. It is actually a candy paint that has to be sprayed on a silver or gold basecoat so in essence, the painter will be doing 2 paint jobs. The issue with any candy color is touchup. Since candies go on very light and darken with the amount of coats applied, touch up is impossible. A complete respray of the panel is necessary. I don't know if your term "Wild cherry" is an actual color or a description of the color you want but if it is a single color paint, I'd go that route. If the car was your own, I'd go the candy route. The last thing you want to do is to have dad need a touchup and he gets a quote for $1,000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2019 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierce_gt:

Yep, what looks good is in the eye of the beholder.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2019 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Go to a dealer to look at new cars.
Find a color that makes your eyes pop.
Get the paint color code of that car.

THIS is the only way to pick a color. DONT look at pictures, chips, or online. colors are NEVER rendered the way they look in person...period. You can also look at used cars , even on the parking lots..... write down the make, model and year and you can find the code...or if the owner is around, you can get the code off the car...most are now on the door jam, or GM puts them on a paper RPO tag usually on spare tire cover or glove box. GM code is at the bottom beginning with WAxxxx (x=3 or 4 numbers) example WA-8555 is black.

SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2019 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Since you mentioned 'Burple", that is a current House of Kolor paint. It is actually a candy paint that has to be sprayed on a silver or gold basecoat so in essence, the painter will be doing 2 paint jobs. The issue with any candy color is touchup. Since candies go on very light and darken with the amount of coats applied, touch up is impossible. A complete respray of the panel is necessary. I don't know if your term "Wild cherry" is an actual color or a description of the color you want but if it is a single color paint, I'd go that route. If the car was your own, I'd go the candy route. The last thing you want to do is to have dad need a touchup and he gets a quote for $1,000

The Wild Cherry is also a Kolor paint. I did not know that was a light color sprayed to be darker.... that does sound like a touch up nightmare and I live out in the country with a gravel driveway. But I really like the look of the candie colors.... I plan on only driving the car in the summer months so it will be stored all winter and spring.

As for my Dad, he passed last October and left his favorite Fiero to me. He had been sick for a while so it was not driven for the last 1 1/2 years. I have been slowly getting her back on the road in his honor. It is a labor of love.
PFF
System Bot
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2019 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SamanthaM

94 posts
Member since Aug 2019
I talked with the guy who will be painting my car..... I think I found my color! It's called Purple Rain, it's a pearl color. Very deep dark purple.....should look pretty cool with the dark gray interior! I saw the color on an old Chevelle and it is AMAZING!

[IMG]

[This message has been edited by SamanthaM (edited 09-13-2019).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2019 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well after a discussion with my paint guy, he ran some test strips on a scrap piece of metal and we darkened up the color I like by adding some midnight black pearl to the purple rain color I like. I am so glad I posted here or I wouldn't have known until it was too late how that color would go on.

Once she is painted, I will post a few pics.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock