Fuel Pump or Relay??? by labbe001
Started on: 06-20-2012 10:12 PM
Replies: 11 (7748 views)
Last post by: ShaneOC91 on 10-15-2018 10:45 PM
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trouble shooting a fuel issue on my 87GT. I've done some trouble shooting and all indications point towards a bad fuel pump. Here's a rundown on what i've done so far. My car has been sitting for about 8 months without running. New battery and checked fluids and tried to crank it. It fired up instantly for about 5 seconds then died. I tested the shrader valve and nothing. Not even a dribble. When i turn the key, i don't hear the fuel pump prime up or the relay click. I thought it was possibly the relay since there was no click after two seconds. Since i have another 87GT (no engine) so i swapped the relay. Still no click from the relay. I jumped the ALDL and didn't hear the pump running.
I guess my question is, if the pump is bad, should i still hear the relay click? I'm almost certain it is the pump but just wanted to get opinions before dropping the tank. Thanks

[This message has been edited by labbe001 (edited 06-20-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 291
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ECM turns on the FP Relay - so if you don't hear the relay click on, the next question is "Is the ECM running?"

So with the key on engine off - does the SES (Service Engine Soon) light come on? It should.

If it is not first thing to check is to see if the ECM reset connector got left unplugged. If it is unplugged that will leave the ECM with no power.

labbe001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

The ECM turns on the FP Relay - so if you don't hear the relay click on, the next question is "Is the ECM running?"

So with the key on engine off - does the SES (Service Engine Soon) light come on? It should.

If it is not first thing to check is to see if the ECM reset connector got left unplugged. If it is unplugged that will leave the ECM with no power.

well i took out the instrument cluster while i'm restoring the interior....so i am unable to check the SES light

i checked all my connections and all is well with them....is there any other way to check if the ECM is running? By jumping the ALDL connector, should i hear my fuel pump running regardless of a possible bad relay or the ecm not running? cause i don't hear it......

iceman320

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iceman320Send a Private Message to iceman320Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would think you could pull the relay and apply power directly to wire which powers pump
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 291
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by labbe001:

well i took out the instrument cluster while i'm restoring the interior....so i am unable to check the SES light

i checked all my connections and all is well with them....is there any other way to check if the ECM is running?

Check for the SES light at the ECM. Connect your test light to power (cig lighter for example) and then probe the connector at the brown/white wire at A5 (2.8)

By jumping the ALDL connector, should i hear my fuel pump running regardless of a possible bad relay or the ecm not running? cause i don't hear it......

Yes the fuel pump should run with this test. No however the test junpers right to the pump so it won't activate the fuel pump relay.
labbe001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok so weird thing going on now....i jumped from the batttery to the b terminal on the fuel pump relay and nothing......after doing everything i came to the conclusion that i was going to replace the fuel pump.....i replaced the pump and i finally have fuel preasure (about 45)...fuel shoots out of the shrader valve when i push it as well .....now the car starts up and immediately dies.....if i keep trying to crank it, it wont start.....if i let it set for about 30 seconds, it will fire up the immediately die....i checked my fire and i'm getting fire....however, i'm still not hearing the fuel pump relay click....how would i be getting fuel pressure and the relay not work? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to acknowledge I gave phoneawgz a plus. The answer in his first post helped me track down a faulty fuse in the ecm reset connector that had me stumped on my swapped car for a few nights.

Pump was fine after tests but the relay was not clicking and the pump was not priming (intermittent at first not at all on day 2). I had checked this ecm reset connection before and checked the fuse in it (custom swap harness with different connector) and it seemed fine. Swapped the fuse in the ecm reset as a result of this post and the car fired right up.

Final problem was that water had gotten into the aftermarket connector a corroded the fuse. Fuse looked fine at first exam. It was obviously not.

Thanks again to those that post helpful answers like this.
ShaneOC91

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaneOC91Send a Private Message to ShaneOC91Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone will see this bump.

I've got an 84 and am having the same issues, power is getting all the way up to the fuse box under the driverside dash for the ecm, will run on the oil pressure relay once there's oil pressure, but there's no check engine and im wondering how you go about replacing the fuse in the fusable link? I'm semi certain ive located it as its in a slightly different spot on the 84 but not sure if there's a fuse there?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wire is the fuse. 84s had fusable links at the starter. If your fuel pump is not running with the key on, you should check the relay...(on the firewall behind the driver seat).

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-15-2018).]

ShaneOC91

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaneOC91Send a Private Message to ShaneOC91Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gall757 even if the CEL isn't coming on with key on engine off?
I keep hearing that the ECM could have gotten fried but it seems unlikely since it hasn't had the cables swapped.
I'll have to further check the fusible links cause they're tucked up under the intake and I couldn't really get to them before dark.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
True, you do need to see the SES light. It could just be a bad bulb. Fusable links tucked where?.....they are at the starter on an 84..

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-15-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
ShaneOC91

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaneOC91Send a Private Message to ShaneOC91Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah kinda tucked down there, hard to reach a bit and i didn't have a ton of time today to look around.
Ill try to test for voltage at the relay connection (green/ white) to make sure its getting power the first couple seconds after turning on.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock