Recognize this heat shield? by notwohorns
Started on: 11-27-2015 05:20 PM
Replies: 26 (1541 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 08-22-2019 12:23 AM
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1085 GT 4speed. I removed the engine a while ago and I forgot where this heat shield goes. Can anyone help?

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(1985, 1986) Pontiac Fiero SHIELD. Rear Compartment. Part # 10042569

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-27-2015 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:
(1985, 1986) Pontiac Fiero SHIELD. Rear Compartment. Part # 10042569

I'm sure that much is already known to the OP. It came out of the engine bay, and the part number is plainly visibly stamped on the shield. The question is where does it belong installed in the engine bay.

I'm not 100% sure, since I haven't looked at an engine bay with the original heat shields installed in some time, but I think this one is installed along the trunk wall.
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HaD to laugh..same thing happened to me when I did my exhaust manifold gasket replacement. It does go against the trunk wall facing the engine, but FIRST you have to attach the cooling tubes. This shield goes on top. I had a hard time getting it back in, the screws are not that easy to get at or reattach. Just be patient, you'll get it back in.
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that it goes on the left side of the engine compartment.....I looked up the part number in images on google.....A diagram shows all the Fiero engine compartment heat shields; Lousy diagram, but it appears to go on the driver side.

Whoops! I lied....They showed a image of the subframe in the background so I assumed that was the orientation of the heat shields....WRONG! It does appear to go against the trunk wall...But it's different from mine- but my 85 SE V6 doesn't have A/C.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 11-27-2015).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does mount on the trunk wall, and I think it was only used on the automatics. I believe the dipstick tube passes through the large hole in the plate. Neither of my 85GT 4-speeds had that shield.
Ramon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RamonSend a Private Message to RamonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I call this the pain in the rear shield.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered my 1985 SE with the V6 and WS6 suspension, second level radio, and Nothing else. It only weighs 2580.....Well, it did until I started modifying it! I was originally going to get the second level trim, but although one Fiero option list I had showed that you could get the V6 in the lower trim level car, when I started looking into it, it turned out that you had to take the SE trim to get the V6- Still, I ordered it thru a car broker and paid $300 over dealer cost- at the time the Fiero was a hot comodity, so I did fairly well.
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 85 GT 4 speed, V-6 with air and this shield fits between the trunk and engine. Easy to get out, hard to get in. The screws are not easy to replace. This shied is OVER the cooling tubes...or just leave it off.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just checked my brother's 86GT and it has the shield. I was correct that the dipstick/filler tube for the automatic transmission passes up through the large hole in the shield. Using notwohorns' first picture, it would be oriented as if you rotated the picture 180 degrees, looking down at it with the trunk wall near you.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you look closely in #21 and #22 you can see the dipstick and automatic shift cable. What purpose does it really serve other than maybe slightly reducing heat to the trunk wall?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2015 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More likely, It save L4 engine electrics etc from heat from the muffler.

Above is for stick cars.
Ones w/ big hole open are for auto trans.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found out where is goes. Got back to work on the car today. It goes on the left side of the truck wall

Thanks to everyone
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for everyones FYI, Autos have that heat shield but that one did not come on an auto, as the hole is not fully punched out for the dip stick tube, not too common to see one not on an auto, but when I have I noticed the hole not punched out. Just about every auto I have worked on has that shield. It also goes under the alt cooler tube and uses 2 10 mm bolts to hold it. (do I work on these cars too much.?.?)

edit to add:didn't see Orge's post just above

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 12-05-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

It also goes under the alt cooler tube

No... the coil cooler tube.

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

No... the coil cooler tube.

Nope, the alt tube
Here is a pic I found to show, I am talking about mounting point.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Here is a pic I found to show, I am talking about mounting point.

That's a crummy angle. If it ever stops raining here, I'll take a picture of the shield on my '86 GT from directly above.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The knockout could have been removed from this one, but this is from an 86SE Getrag equipped car.

This is from an 86GT automatic equipped car.
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2019 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old thread revival, but my question kind of follows on with the discussions, and the pictures are helpful (nice to see a pic of my old Fiero ).

What purpose does this shield have, for a manual / V6 car (i.e. my present Fiero)?

Ogre suggested shielding of L4 electrical parts from the muffler's radiation, but on the V6 there's not much other than the side of the engine block and trunk-side manifold.

I'm considering deleting it, as it seems to get in the path of the engine during cradle installation / removal... My mind is not set; I am considering both options (keep it or ditch it).

EDIT: That "wing" over on the left side, below the distributor air cooling tube, is bent towards the trunk-side manifold. The wing in the shield follows (albeit at a distance) the path of the trunk-side manifold and cross-over pipe.

Because the wing is bent towards the trunk-side manifold, as if to surround it, rather than being being towards the muffler, I am led to believe that the shield exists to block radiation from the manifold from reaching the trunk... and I'm not sure what else...

However, since the wing is bent opposite to the muffler, I don't believe that the shield's main purpose is to prevent muffler radiation from reaching the engine.

But, I am not sure.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 08-20-2019).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2019 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just remove it when dropping/reinstalling cradle, then reinstall it.

It shields the trunk wall from radiant energy from the exhaust manifold.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2019 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put it in the recycling bin. The first thing I do when I get a pre-88 is rip out the blower motor, cooling tubes, heat shields and clean up the engine bay by using a roll of thermal wrap on the exhaust manifolds and Y-pipe. It insulated much better, looks cleaner, and actually makes it possible to work on your engine with slitting your wrists.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2019 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The idea of keeping the trunk from getting hot makes some sense, but then it doesn't make sense that the top of the trunk wall was left exposed, while it has a direct line-of-sight to the exhaust manifold.

I think I'm going to keep the shield for now; removing the shield is more work, as I'd need to cut off the mounts, grind down the spot welds, then prime and paint the spaceframe.

That time expenditure will slow down getting my Fiero back on the road from its long project.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2019 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Because the wing is bent towards the trunk-side manifold, as if to surround it, rather than being being towards the muffler, I am led to believe that the shield exists to block radiation from the manifold from reaching the trunk... and I'm not sure what else...

However, since the wing is bent opposite to the muffler, I don't believe that the shield's main purpose is to prevent muffler radiation from reaching the engine.

On the 4-cylinder cars, it seems to shield the distributor (don't know about DIS) from the muffler's radiant heat.
I added the brackets and heat shield to my 84 Indy for this purpose.

My 87 GT V6 Getrag 5-speed never came with one (no brackets for one either).
But as mentioned, I don't see what point there would be in putting one in (have FOCOA headers now).

EDIT: Oddly enough, in the P22 Parts Book it is identified as: Shield, Engine Compartment RR Dust-RH

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-21-2019).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2019 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pretty much did what Toddster did. However I had my motor/cradle out when I did it. I removed all my heat shields, blower motor, and cooing tubs. I did wrap my headers though. I drove 4,000 miles in 3 weeks across the US in June and I had not heat problems and nothing broke.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock