GETRAG CV AXLE WILL NOT SNAP BACK IN TRANNY by v8fierov8
Started on: 04-01-2016 05:16 PM
Replies: 4 (238 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 04-01-2016 09:50 PM
v8fierov8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fierov8Send a Private Message to v8fierov8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got an 86 5 speed Getrag and I bought 2 rebuilt Cardone CV axles.
the drivers side appears to have 'snapped' into place but not the passengers side.
It slides into the tranny just fine but the snap ring does not seem to snap into place; I'm afraid if I try to drive it the axle will work its way out and the seal will leak.
Is it possible the snap ring is the wrong size? Does anyone know what is the correct size and where to buy them?
Unfortunately I trashed the old axles. Anyone out there got some used snap rings????
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ne2424

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ne2424Send a Private Message to Ne2424Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personally would send it back as defective and try another CB axle That's what we do with our suppliers. If that does not work then the problem is in the transmission. I do not think the snap rings can be replaced. Also did you remove both axles at the same time?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Peek inside to see if the spring from inside the axle seal has come out and moved to the back. It can cause just enough interference to keep the axle from fully seating.
v8fierov8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fierov8Send a Private Message to v8fierov8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I replaced both at the same time, why?
I replaced both seals with the bearing stabilizer seal; I'm pretty sure part of the old seal didn't fall in but I will check this week end.
I've had good luck with NAPA stuff, may just order a new axle from them.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A very experienced club mechanic fought the same problem. He's the one that told me about the spring sliding all the way back on the tranny output splines. It's just thick enough to prevent the axle from locking in. He said he used a straightened paperclip and made a small hook on the end to fish it off the shaft. The spring, if there, may have come out of the old seal during removal.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock