Help Finding This Small (Clutch) Part by USMUCL
Started on: 04-29-2017 05:16 PM
Replies: 28 (812 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 06-01-2019 03:43 PM
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I'm taking a rare cruise in the Fiero today and, while shifting, I hear and feel a snap in the clutch pedal. It goes to the floor.

I pulled over and found the master cylinder rod was off the clutch pedal. Looks like the bushing broke. I was grateful that it was just a 31 year old dried out piece of plastic. I was able to slide the rod back on the pedal and get her home, but it won't stay on unless I'm extremely gentle with the clutch pedal.

The Fiero Store sells it (https://www.fierostore.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=64900&lp=64358), but I would rather not wait on shipping. Does anyone know if this piece is something that any of the auto chain stores carry?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MadProfessor8138

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're going to be hard pressed to find that part anywhere other than a Fiero parts supplier or stealership.
I'm sure that bushing was probably used on a dozen different cars but it's still probably going to be a specialty item......try the local parts stores but don't get your hopes up.
There should be a keeper that goes on the outside of the rod to hold the rod on the shaft from the pedal and not let it pop off.
I don't think the bushing is meant to hold the rod on,it's just there to let the rod pivot on the shaft.
The shaft on my car has a hole drilled in it for a Cotter pin,snap pin.....I've heard it called numerous things.
Check the shaft on your pedal and see if there is a little hole drilled in it.
Someone may have forgotten to put the keeper back on and it allowed the rod to move on the bushing and shaft causing it to wear.........

[This message has been edited by MadProfessor8138 (edited 04-29-2017).]

USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You sure about the hole and pin? I'll look again, but I "think" the bushing holds it on with a click. I don't think there is a hole for a retaining pin.

There is a Dorman version of the bushing, #74014, but not sure it will work ....
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a pushrod with bushing I will ship priority mail, for $13. Ship on Monday and you will have it Wednesday. TFS price will be $13 plus shipping and handling.

I accept Paypal. There should be a small hairclip holding it on. Check ylur floor carefully. It could have gone behind the carpet. A cotter key will substitute well.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12891 posts
Member since Jan 2002
You are right. Your pedal dkesn't have a clip. The dogs on the bushing snap into the groove.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a clip on mine that holds everything on the shaft....
Did the previous owner drill mine ?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC, there are two diameters of the post, depending on year.
Perhaps the retaining system varied between designs.
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm betting Olejoedad is right on the money.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This style of clutch pedal seems to be really rare in a Fiero. I've always wondered of the clutch pedal in FWD cars is the same as in a Fiero? Maybe these were used in some FWD cars of that same era?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There were in fact two different retention mechanisms. One is the plastic snap-on clip pictured above. The other is metal retention clip.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-30-2017).]

USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you say. "Rare in a Fiero." Do you mean most Fieros don't have this style, or that few other cars have the same style the Fiero does?

I'm wondering cause the Fiero Store shows that this is the bushing for 84-88.

Wondering if MADPROFESSOR's cylinder rod could be aftermarket ...

Originally posted by Rodney:

This style of clutch pedal seems to be really rare in a Fiero. I've always wondered of the clutch pedal in FWD cars is the same as in a Fiero? Maybe these were used in some FWD cars of that same era?

PFF
System Bot
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

USMUCL

591 posts
Member since Jan 2017

Originally posted by Blacktree:

There were in fact two different retention mechanisms. One is the plastic snap-on clip pictured above. The other is metal retention clip.

Ahhhh, crossed posts with Blacktree.

So, TFS has the clip shown for all models. For all the opinions on the quality of some of their items, not listing proper application is rare for them, I think.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Strange... I've never seen that setup.
Every Fiero clutch pedal I've ever seen had a brass (IIRC) bushing and a "hairclip" type fastener.

Everyone else seems to be familiar with it, so I guess I've just led a sheltered existence.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Every Fiero clutch pedal I've ever seen had a brass (IIRC) bushing and a "hairclip" type fastener.

Everyone else seems to be familiar with it, so I guess I've just led a sheltered existence.

Hey, its like GI Joe, knowings half the battle. Now we are all informed.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The one I have that Scottie put on my 86SE is like that, anď the replacement mc I got at Advance was the same. The difference is that my pin is different, not having that groove, but it does have a hole and clip.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...I guess I've just led a sheltered existence.

That makes two of us. I've never seen this style before.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to Advance Auto Parts website and search for part # LMC497 or 39718 or clutch master cylinder for a 1986 Fiero. There are several brands with that bushing.
SPARTAN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SPARTANSend a Private Message to SPARTANEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not just change the pedal pin to this?

Rodney's Clutch Pedal Conversion Pin
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2017 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is low mileage, and I am not interested in hack-sawing on the original pedal, so that new shaft from Rodney is out for me unless I have to.

As an FYI, I confirmed there is no hole for a cotter pin - I had wondered whether one was there not visible in my pictures. Looks like the plastic bushing pushes in and the 4 "fingers" snap into the groove of the shaft to hold everything in place. Note that in my first picture, I have the banjo turned the wrong way . . . . it is supposed to slide onto the pedal shaft from the other side (opposite the fingers) so that the fingers are the last thing on, not the first.

If you look at this bushing from the Fiero Store, the bushing I have looks very close, possibly identical. The only thing I can't tell is if the Fiero Store version's fingers tilt inward enough to provide the necessary strength:

https://www.fierostore.com/.../Detail.aspx?s=64900

I did try the Dorman #74014. It fit in nicely, but the fingers did not tilt in enough and lock into that groove on the pedal shaft, so it just didn't have the strength to keep the rod from sliding back off once I started really pumping on the clutch pedal:

[URL=https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-clutch-pedal-linkage-bushing-74014/10214659-p&c3ch=PLA&c3nid=10214659-P?iv_=__iv_p_1_a_810678608_g_40371513285_w_pla-297833460375_h_9008271_ii__d_c_v__n_g_x_pla_y_6201684_f_online_o_10214659-P_z_US_i_en_ j_297]https://shop.advanceautopar...59-P_z_US_i_en_j_297[/URL] 833460375_s__vi__&utm_source=ACQ&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_content=shoppingcampaigns&gclid=Cj0KEQjwuZvIBRD-8Z6B2M2Sy68BEiQAtjYS3J8_yjle97FsBgWTM15Qjr7MuQjkODJXEejBNT204NUaAmRg8P8HAQ

I can't believe how hard the smallest things can be with this car sometimes . . .

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 05-01-2017).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Go to Advance Auto Parts website and search for part # LMC497 or 39718 or clutch master cylinder for a 1986 Fiero. There are several brands with that bushing.

Correction: When I posted this I was looking at the bushings on a small cell phone. Having viewed them on a larger screen I see that they don't have the tangs on the inner diameter that would snap into the groove on the pin. They are different from John's bushing and won't work.
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Charles.

I'll know for sure Thursday night, but I am 99% sure the bushing sold by the Fiero Store is the right bushing. I pulled the old one out and, holding it at the same angle as the Fiero Store's picture, they look identical.

The Fiero Store tells me it is a GM original bushing, so I'm cautiously optimistic . . .

Will report back.
PFF
System Bot
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news - the Fiero Store bushing was the right one. My only complaint with the Fiero Store is that they list this bushing for all 84-88 manual Fieros. Obviously, that is the opposite of true . . . seems like a rare setup that didn't even span an entire model year.

As a cross reference, it is GM part #14094900. Obviously discontinued, but available new on Ebay (it was actually cheaper at the Fiero Store).
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's good news. Although, I personally wouldn't trust it. I've owned other cars with the same type of plastic bushing/retainer (on clutch pedals, shifter cable linkages, etc), and they are notorious for breaking. But thanks to Rodney, there is a solution available if/when it breaks again.
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

That's good news. Although, I personally wouldn't trust it. I've owned other cars with the same type of plastic bushing/retainer (on clutch pedals, shifter cable linkages, etc), and they are notorious for breaking. But thanks to Rodney, there is a solution available if/when it breaks again.

Blacktree, thanks for all the help. If I have any more trouble, and new steel pedal (with a different pin/shaft) might be in order. The other option would be to drill a hole in mine for a cotter pin like the other styles (Rodney suggestion).

Hopefully, I have another 31 years to worry about it

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 05-05-2017).]

USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So often, I find threads that hit on point for what I need, but there is no apparent resolution. So, closing out here . . .

The plastic bushing didn't last long, as Blacktree predicted. So, I used 7/16" steel e-clips. Since my pedal shaft has a groove in it, the e-clips snapped in nicely and are very snug, very sturdy.

I used two clips to be safe, but one would probably work. I also used washers on either side of the banjo, and I also used the innards of the plastic bushing in the banjo hole. This tightened everything in -- The banjo rotates nicely on the stalk with no unnecessary play, and there is no unnecessary play side-to-side on the shaft. Only enough play to allow free motion as the pedal is depressed and released.

After 1000+ pedal pumps, I am confident this is a good solution . . . and better than the OEM plastic bushing.

See pictures. It looks like there is a gap between the banjo and the inside washer -- but that is where the plastic bushing flanges stick out. Also, the banjo is a different color than my first pictures cause I also found a slow master cylinder leak while I was down there -- switched out to Rodney's.

[URL=http://s897.photobu cket.com/user/cidsamuth/media/B5C83771-C366-46D1-8C1D-F67F2C835361_zpslavbayrk.jpg.html][/URL]

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 06-21-2017).]

PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2019 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Extremely useful thread. I have this design and would have been disappointed to spend 70dollars on the fierostore bush only to find out it didn't solve the issue.

Thank you for the detailed description and pics.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2019 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good choice with the e-clips. Those should last for many many years.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2019 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store clip is $12.95.....Not $70.....and using those clips you used are great idea.....
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2019 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cvxjet, PK is in England. That would be the end price after TFS shipping and handling and customs. Georgia Fieros has several members in Europe and Australia, including PK, that need parts. Parts that are inexpensive over here, but cost much much more to have shipped to them. Often, there are no other GM models in their country that use the same part.

Edit: Found GM Part Nr. 14094900 cross references to a 92 Corvette and an 86 Fiero 4-speed. https://www.wholesalegmpart...ukey_product=2695723

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 06-01-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock