Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Engine bay size? (Saab C900 turbo Transplant)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Engine bay size? (Saab C900 turbo Transplant) by Doerrkilen
Started on: 05-13-2017 04:05 AM
Replies: 4 (738 views)
Last post by: Daryl M on 05-14-2017 04:16 PM
Doerrkilen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2017 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DoerrkilenSend a Private Message to DoerrkilenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the general size of an engine that will fit in the back of a Fiero? My plan has always been to transplant a Saab heart into my fiero. The most obvious choice would be a full drivetrain out of a late 9000 CS 2.3 Turbo (B234R) wich can reach about 400 Hp on stock internals, and i´m quite sure it would fit.

However i have a bit of a weakness for the older (and much weaker) B202T wich is found in the older C900 (1984-1993), Mainly due to that incredible Burble they have, and i was wondering if it would fit lenghtwise without having to bash the cargo compartment, since its mounted longitudinal. you see, the whole powertrain is quite compact due to the engine is mounted ontop of the gearbox. also manufacturing engine mounts would be ridiculously easy, since all 3 are at the bottom between the engine and gearbox, also they are mounted flat, so no crazy angles are required.

Ive been owning and building saabs for the last 13 years and had at least 20 900 during this time. so just getting past the hurdle making the engine fit in the bay, and aswell fixing the driveshaft, the rest should be a breeze.

(shameless plug. my current 900. 1979 GLS. it has the smaller B20 engine, with a nasty N/A Folkrace tune on it )
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Doerrkilen (edited 05-13-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2017 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doerrkilen:

my current 900. 1979 GLS...

Cool looking car. Don't remember whether I've ever seen this particular model in person.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have alwaysed like the unique look of Saab's.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is about 24" from the forward engine bay wall to the rear axle center-line, but only about 6-8" from the axle center line to the rear trunk wall (upper section).

It will likely fit, but you will likely lose at least a portion of the rear trunk area.
Daryl M

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you considered the B284? It has been done before.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock