Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Old style "Kris Munson" Flushmount Headlights - Where do I find a pair?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Old style "Kris Munson" Flushmount Headlights - Where do I find a pair? by JimK-651
Started on: 05-17-2017 02:09 PM
Replies: 15 (802 views)
Last post by: tampalinc on 05-20-2017 09:16 PM
JimK-651

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimK-651Send a Private Message to JimK-651Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking into who still produces the old style Kris Munson style fiberglass headlight covers. I understand Embrace makes flush mount headlights, and I like them, but looking for a different style for this project. Let me know if there is something similar that dosn't look home-built but showcased without a lexan cover. Thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A guy by the name of Roger Thiele of Gainsville, FL claims to have the original tooling and parts for these headlights and he's advertised in the mall section. However, he has not provided pictures of his products, explained how they are installed or even prices and options for that matter. When a business, lacks these very basic marketing skills I would be very cautious sending my money to them. It could be genuine or it could be a scam,

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In Newark, CA at the Pick & pull there is a Fiero with flush style headlights...They look like they are relatively well done and in good shape. You can see them in the pic if you go to Row 52.....Use zip code 94577 and 50 miles should show it.
JimK-651

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimK-651Send a Private Message to JimK-651Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is a photo of the headlights I was looking for.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 570
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many know the "upgrade..." May look ok for pictures but have problems w/ them.
Like Some have them then have to restore the factory lights because light output is so poor and have big glare problems no matter the bulb used and playing w/ aim etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

In Newark, CA at the Pick & pull there is a Fiero with flush style headlights...They look like they are relatively well done and in good shape. You can see them in the pic if you go to Row 52.....Use zip code 94577 and 50 miles should show it.

I saw that pic on Row 52 previously and thought those were just painted stock covers. So, those are clear covers over a low profile headlight assembly?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try villain. I think he may have something

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 05-17-2017).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are full on headlight conversion....They look the same as the above picture- I went to get the GT windows but they are after-market without the dot-matrix...I actually have a set of them but need the curve from top to bottom(And don't need the front edge curve- don't actually need the front edge at all!

If the OP(JimK) wants to pay shipping and maybe a bit more than it costs to buy them from P&P, I could go get them and send them to him.....I'm retarded- I mean retired, so I have time to go get them....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 05-17-2017).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

They are full on headlight conversion....They look the same as the above picture- I went to get the GT windows but they are after-market without the dot-matrix...I actually have a set of them but need the curve from top to bottom(And don't need the front edge curve- don't actually need the front edge at all!

If the OP(JimK) wants to pay shipping and maybe a bit more than it costs to buy them from P&P, I could go get them and send them to him.....I'm retarded- I mean retired, so I have time to go get them....

Try Chris Cooks repro GT Quarter windows. They have the exact same graphics as a stock OEM window. The curvature may not be identical but only noticable if you look at them very closely.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-17-2017).]

Villain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VillainSend a Private Message to VillainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I have a set to sell, but I won't be able to till the end of the month at the earliest.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As Ogre mentioned, light output on the road sucks.
They may look good at a show, but don't stay until after dark........
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

A guy by the name of Roger Thiele of Gainsville, FL claims to have the original tooling and parts for these headlights and he's advertised in the mall section.

That's Roger Thelin. Roger was a personal friend of Kris. He was actually involved in the production of the headlights back when Kris Munson was selling them. After Kris died, Mrs Munson turned the tooling over to Roger. And out of respect, he gives her a portion of the proceeds from the sale of that kit.

Just FYI.

But yeah, I had that headlight kit for awhile, and was not satisfied with the light output. I ended up installing driving lights, to supplement the low-beams. Later on, I sold the kit and replaced it with Hella 90mm lights.
JimK-651

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2017 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimK-651Send a Private Message to JimK-651Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like (Roger Thiele of Gainsville, FL) has the molds and is possibly producing these? Does he have a website / Email / Phone number or any way to get hold of him?

With all of the new technology in LED, I was going to upgrade the lights and get a better light output. Was looking to run the lights without the lexan covers also.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2017 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can contact Roger at thelinsells@cox.net
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 570
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2017 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimK-651:
With all of the new technology in LED, I was going to upgrade the lights and get a better light output. Was looking to run the lights without the lexan covers also.

No cover for legal reasons?
Yes... The part is made for "DOT Legal" bulbs but as made, Removing the cover is only 1 problem. Please use search.

I though they looked ok years ago then saw up close w/ hood close and open on a car in PA. That was bad enough then snow hit and had little to no light output because wet snow cover the lights because he had to remove lexan to pass PA cops and inspections. (Happen during daytime.) My popup HL did not have this problem.
tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2017 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had the Kris Munson headlights for years. Even with the HID kits and driving lights the light output is poor.
I plan on switching back to popup headlights during my next engine swap, just need to finalize what style of light to use.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock