Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How to turn off the radio so that the clock lights are off?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to turn off the radio so that the clock lights are off? by Fiero.1984
Started on: 06-10-2017 12:53 AM
Replies: 12 (451 views)
Last post by: Fiero.1984 on 07-15-2017 12:43 AM
Fiero.1984

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My battery goes dead after not driving the car for a few days. Today, my wife noticed that the clock on the radio was lit even though the car is parked in my garage and the keys are not in the ignition. I tried pushing the power button off but the clock stays lit. Is this the way it is suppose to work?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try jiggling the key in the ignition switch to see if the radio shuts off...
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm wrong

[This message has been edited by wgpierce (edited 06-10-2017).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC, the clock display should NOT stay illuminated. You normally need to press one of the buttons to "recall" the display.
The problem will be in the radio itself.

The same fuse that runs the lighter also runs the radio "keep alive" for the memory. If you pull that fuse, the radio should go out, too. Easy way to test.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

IIRC, the clock display should NOT stay illuminated.

Agreed. None of my radio displays are illuminated unless the key is in the ACC or ON position.

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.turbobuick.com/t...k-no-further.339895/

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No.
Vacuum fluorescent displays and back light bulbs for LED buttons and LCDs can drain the battery enough that car won't start in a few days to 1-2 weeks depending on total load, weather and battery condition. (high/low weather temperature effect battery power.)

If GT and others w/ lights under the dash... OE Radio etc can have problems when fuse(s) are bad.
See my Cave, Sneak Path

Originally posted by Rodney:
http://www.turbobuick.com/t...k-no-further.339895/
might be but different GM radios can have different boards inside and davidellisrealestate.com/html/radio_fix.html link is dead and can't find cache or archive copies. So Be careful following text directions.

https://www.samswebsite.com/ has some docs but might not cover this problem and cost $20+ each

Tried google: gm radio display stays on
But too many hits to find data quickly.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-12-2017).]

Chris Eddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris EddySend a Private Message to Chris EddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a few things to try out (and get data for us)..
Find the fuse that runs the clock. Pull the fuse, confirm the clock goes out. Put your cheap DVM on DC amps. Put the leads in com and amps. Place the leads in the fuse socket. Tell us how much current is being drawn.
Another thing to consider is the possibility of a defective bridge rectifier in the alternator. Maybe you can find the link to the alternator and lift the wire, placing your ammeter in series with that and measuring the draw. Do a forum search for more on "current draw to the alternator".
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero.1984:

My battery goes dead after not driving the car for a few days.

Unplug the headlight motors and see if your fortunes improve.
Fiero.1984

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was able to get the time light to turn off but I am unsure about how I did it. I tried turning the key switch on and off several times, but it did not seem to have any affect. I pushed the power button on the radio off and on several times with no apparent affect (ignition key on). I pushed every button the radio several times with no apparent affect. So I decided to pull the fuse out and I turned the ignition off and got out of the car to look for the fuse box. I looked back at the radio and the clock light was now off????

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will look in the fuse box and check the fuses for corrosion. Maybe the ignition switch is going bad or the radio power switch is failing.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, my clock stays on all the time and the battery doesn't run down. I guess I was just lucky and I have a bad transistor or something.

[This message has been edited by wgpierce (edited 06-10-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
Fiero.1984

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. The time lighted up again. So I found my Owner's manual and on page 2C-14 is a picture of my radio ETR AM-FM Stereo (Seek/Scan) with Cassette 5-Band Equializer and Clock. The lower Knob has two things that can be turned and I tried moving both with no affect. Maybe the radio is the problem since I have the clock working all of the time. The radio does not play anything at all and does not show stations. Maybe I just need a working radio.
Fiero.1984

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2017 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. I have resolved the problem but would like for someone to explain what is happening. The light goes off and stays off if I remove my foot from the brake pedal before turning off the engine.

Anyone with an explanation for this happening? Thanks.

Before finding this "solution", I observed that when the light was on, the light would turn off If I pressed the brake pedal. Releasing the brake pedal, I would hear a click noise and the light would come
back on. Maybe a bad ???

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock