RaceSpec Hood Vent Install by Spadesluck
Started on: 10-09-2017 07:36 PM
Replies: 12 (586 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 09-01-2020 06:18 PM
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2017 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured I would post up some pictures of my RaceSpec Hood Vent install that I purchased from Embrace Racing (doublec4). I really liked the look of the vent because just looks tough, hard to explain but I think it really fits the Fiero.

First thing I did was measure about 20 times to make sure I could get everything lined up the best I could. ha There is a paper template that comes with the packaging that helps out with measurements. Here I have it taped down and I started to scribe the hood to mark for cuts.

Here is all the scribe work done. The outside that is left is the edge of the vent itself. That is the part that bolts down to the hood.

To make the cuts I just used a dremel. Took a bit of time but was easier and safer for me than using something bigger.

Here it is all installed. I used nice stainless steel panhead bolts instead of pop rivets. They give a cleaner look than a rivet would.

There you have it. I have not done any body work to this car since purchasing it last summer. I have been busy restoring the interior which I finished up this weekend. I say that because I want you to ignore the spot on the nose. lol
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2017 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

First thing I did was measure about 20 times to make sure I could get everything lined up the best I could...

Did you mount the vents as far back as you could? The reason I ask is that it's optimal to be venting behind the radiator as much as possible.

I'm a firm believer in vents for Fiero hoods. Looks good, helps a lot with cooling, and for those with a heavy right foot... keeps the front end (and headlight covers) from lifting at speed.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-10-2017).]

Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2017 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did mount it as far back as I was comfortable with. I probably could have gone farther but it would have looked funny with the headlights and the way the vent was designed. However most of the vent is behind the radiator. Maybe two fins are on the top of it at the most.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2017 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did mount it as far back as I was comfortable with. I probably could have gone farther but it would have looked funny with the headlights and the way the vent was designed. However most of the vent is behind the radiator. Maybe two fins are on the top of it at the most.

Looks good, It wouldn't have done any more good farther back because it looks like you were already at the front trunk wall.
0z

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2020 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 0zSend a Private Message to 0zEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any pics from the back side?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2020 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not realizing this was a three year old thread, I started reading from the beginning, and the first thing I thought was... "Is that hood vent located far enough back?" If nothing else, I'm consistent.
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2020 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Not realizing this was a three year old thread, I started reading from the beginning, and the first thing I thought was... "Is that hood vent located far enough back?" If nothing else, I'm consistent.

Lol, you are very consistent. If I had to do it again I would move it back some. However it does serve a purpose still. My 3 row radiator, bigger fan, and this hood vent the fan rarely ever comes on even in 100 degree heat.
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2020 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spadesluck

2131 posts
Member since Jul 2016

Originally posted by 0z:

Any pics from the back side?

I do not have any but I will get one today for you.
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2020 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the underside of the vent. Sorry a bit late

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2020 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

It wouldn't have done any more good farther back because it looks like you were already at the front trunk wall.

I beg to differ.

Lol, you are very consistent. If I had to do it again I would move it back some.

Yeah, there would've been plenty of room to move the vents back, right up against the forward edge of the lip on the hood. That way there'd be less air from in front of the radiator being vented out, and more from behind it. But heck, what you did looks good and I suspect works fine.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-31-2020).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2020 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol, you are very consistent. If I had to do it again I would move it back some. However it does serve a purpose still. My 3 row radiator, bigger fan, and this hood vent the fan rarely ever comes on even in 100 degree heat.

Here's a question... With all of that hot air that is blowing out through that vent...
Have you noticed any poorer performance from your A/C system? It seems like the air blowing back would be at least 100 F above ambient. A lot of it will be diluted, but some of it should certainly find its way down through the cowl vents.

I've thought about doing a similar vent, but comfort is an issue, too. I've only had my car run "warm" (but not overheat) on one occasion. That was at ~75 MPH on a 100 degree day, so its not imperative...

Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2020 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Here's a question... With all of that hot air that is blowing out through that vent...
Have you noticed any poorer performance from your A/C system? It seems like the air blowing back would be at least 100 F above ambient. A lot of it will be diluted, but some of it should certainly find its way down through the cowl vents.

I've thought about doing a similar vent, but comfort is an issue, too. I've only had my car run "warm" (but not overheat) on one occasion. That was at ~75 MPH on a 100 degree day, so its not imperative...

Thanks!

I have not noticed anything. Never really gave that any thought, but I have not read about anyone mentioning it affecting their AC performance. I know many others have done similar setups to help with the underside pressure. I really doubt that air is making it back into the car though honestly.

Raydar if you are concerned about heat, honestly the best investment would be a 3 row radiator and new fan.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2020 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock