87-88 Headlight motor limit switching? by cvxjet
Started on: 09-12-2019 02:30 PM
Replies: 4 (139 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 09-14-2019 07:13 PM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2019 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am converting my 85 to a 87-88 headlight motor system- Installing the wiring at the moment. My Question; How does the 87-88 system sense when it is up or down and then shut off the motor? On the early system, there are torque-sensing limit switches...But the 87-88 motors don't seem to have any switches internally- Does the control module sense when the motor reaches the end and stops via voltage spike or such?

(I mainly want to know because I have new motors and have no way of knowing how to "clock" the linkage setup properly...Do I need to set it up a certain way....?)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2019 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The control box senses the high current draw when the motor is stalled and opens the circuit that energizes the motor.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2019 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

Motors do not need to be setup in a way to make them work.
Link from motor to HL must be able to extent/retract fully.

If not sure...
Easy to stretch the link out straight or close to that then attach to the motor.

Do Not use oil or grease on HL pivot points. Many have plastic "bushings" that will hate most oil/grease and strong solvents like carb/brake cleaners.
If taken apart, clean all then spray metal parts w/ Dry Teflon and let them dry before reassemble.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2019 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys- I appreciate the answers.....
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2019 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the left (Driver's side) installed and it works- Also, my 30 amp relay works.....It is on the red power wire to the motors in the front compartment- the relay engages only with "Key" power, so no matter what, the headlight motors are dead as can be with the key off...I will be doing a description/how-to guide soon! (With pics)

Still waiting for delivery of my "New" right-hand motor.......

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock