Started on: 04-24-2020 12:01 AM
Replies: 6 (391 views)
Last post by: theogre on 08-11-2020 05:47 PM
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2020 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 SE, if it makes any difference.

I'm setting up the hooks for the parking brake cables, and this is what I have on my Fiero right now.

Bent sheetmetal piece in the LH wheelwell.

Bent hook on LH rear corner of cradle. Should this hook for the front cable go above or below the cable for the LH caliper?

Bent hook on rear crossmember of cradle near the muffler, a bit on the left side.

Now when I look at this ebay ad for Fiero parking brake hooks, I see three wire hooks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/84...der-Set/163795385876

Where does the S-hook go? I don't seem to have this part, but I can bend one if needed.

To fierosound: I caught onto your idea of looking in the P-book, but the drawings can be fuzzy sometimes! I didn't find what I was looking for.

This is my last question (for now) about the minutiae of putting back together a Fiero. The next step before firing up the toy is to put on the wheels, but I know how to do that!

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 04-24-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2020 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
S is to tie the jackets of Main and left wheel cable.
The clips are so main cable won't hit the exhaust and have problems.
Works good until left tailpipe hits something and bent forward.

Just use a zip tie but don't tighten so cables can't move easy. Main cable moves when you use the P-brake and wheel cables just moves all the time driving.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2020 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those hooks disappeared off my car before I got it. First time I have ever seen them.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2020 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

S is to tie the jackets of Main and left wheel cable.
The clips are so main cable won't hit the exhaust and have problems.
Works good until left tailpipe hits something and bent forward.

Just use a zip tie but don't tighten so cables can't move easy. Main cable moves when you use the P-brake and wheel cables just moves all the time driving.

I have a custom single exit exhaust on the RH side; no tailpipe on the LH side. I guess I don't need to worry about the S-hook then!

It actually seems a bit better for the cable to allow it to follow a wider curve than if it was attached with the S-hook.

Originally posted by wftb:

Those hooks disappeared off my car before I got it. First time I have ever seen them.

I didn't know about the S-hook until I was looking for pictures on how to attach the other two hooks; that's when I found out about the third!
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2020 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
S_hook Location....

Try Not to hook the wheel cable over any "rubber" cable guard. Only on the cable jacket shown here. All wire hooks need some movement as you use the P-brake.
(Wheel cable isn't OEM, think is Raybestos or other name brand "pro grade" part.)
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2020 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably it is ideal to have a friend cycle the parking brake while you observe the cables down below.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2020 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
Probably it is ideal to have a friend cycle the parking brake while you observe the cables down below.
Could do that.
Normally might not see much. But Worse if one or both rear calipers etc have problems.

In the pic just above...
The main cable jacket can move some as both wheel cables go tight and pads are loaded. May also move a bit one way then other way.
One caliper lever often moves sooner then other until pads start to clamp.

Fiero and many others have same =izer parts and main cable can fail if can't move or bend < some bend radius spec.
Most cable systems let wheel cables to "float" so can =ize and make up for wearing and adjustment.
Hydraulics just moves all pistons at different rates until pads/shoes are loaded up too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock