Replies: 6 (178 views)
Last post by: Mike in Sydney on 06-18-2020 08:19 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2020 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About two weeks ago, my turn signals blinked really fast and very dim. So I replaced the flasher with the one from the emergency lights and that fixed the problem. Ordered a new flasher (EFL552) online and used that for the emergency lights. Now, two days later, the emergency lights have develop the exact same problems as my turn signals earlier. So blinking fast and very dim.

So what could be causing the flashers to fail?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2020 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a broken flasher, more likely a short somewhere.
Take out and check all the signal/side marker bulbs and sockets one by one.

Ogre will probably post his link on "sneak path" to check.
http://web.archive.org/web/...rocave/sneakpath.htm

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-17-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2020 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sneak Path is mainly iffy/bad grounds anywhere.
Like Often for turn/brake lights is front, back or both bulbs w/ iffy connection w/ ground in the sockets.
Most times this cause no or slow blinking.
Most times 1 or more bulbs light Both filaments when only 1 should be on. Just pop the sockets out to look at the bulbs. (Front turn/park sockets twist and pull out from rear but need HL up to get access.)

Fast blinking w/ old cars is often a Short somewhere. Thermal Flasher blink faster as load is at max bulb count or higher then design spec.
Can be anywhere but does it happen for both sides?
If true should reduce the short to common areas...
Examples:
Flash can to column switch wiring.
Column switch is bad or crap in it shorting out.

Unplug C500 and see if still fast blinks. it shouldn't blink at all because too low amps to blink even w/ many new "solid state" flashers.
Unplug C100 to front and try again. (low & inboard of brake MC & booster) Leave C500 unplug. If still fast blinks the short is in cabin wiring.

Dash bulbs, their sockets, and dash "Board" on back of gauge set can short out.
LED "bulbs" can short internally if you have "upgraded" to them.
But both of these only short one side most times.

Note: Often harder to impossible to find thermal flasher in many stores now. Flasher Makers have stopped making most numbers and new "electronic" replacement handle 2 to 20 standard bulbs.
Fiero and most cars has 2 numbers for flashers from the car factory because turn light less bulbs then hazard does. Now you often only need 1 number to replace them.

Could be old flashers died but need to check for shorts and iffy grounds in sneak path page.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2020 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32520 posts
Member since Mar 99
"Why would flasher break?"
Beside problems above, they can "wear out" but uncommon to have two or more of same problem in a short time.

OE and Aftermarket Thermal units are literally that... Has a heater in series w/ bulb loads to heat cycle a bi-metal switch. They can simple wear out but most take Decades to do so.

New "electronic" ones varies just how they are made.

Tridon (has a new owner w/ new branding) make many flashers and used by many car brand has switch to "electronic" type that just uses a relay and a cap.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US3247402A/en
Is a very old design (Patent applied in 1963) but likely cost a lot more to make then thermal ones.
Tridon/NOVITA (Now a division of OSRAM SYLVANIA) EL12 can handle 1 - 10 bulbs.

Others are more complicated like Blazer FL32. (Can flash 1 - 12 bulbs.)

No matter what type they are... Plastic shells Can Not use many Mounting Clips holding old Metal shells to anything. Many have teeth and Most are to strong and break or warp the plastic like this...

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-17-2020).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2020 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, Do you have LED's in the turn signals. If so, you may need ballast resistors to get the flasher to work correctly. Alternatively, you can try the non-load sensitive electronic flashers if you have LEDs.

If you don't have LEDs, try the flashers from NARVA. I think you can find them in Europe. They are more expensive than the TRIDONs in Australia but I've had good experience with them. Also, When you replace the flasher, be mindful of where it's mounted. Until I relocated them, I used to catch the flasher with a shoe or shoelace getting out of the car. (Yeah, I know it's hard to believe but at my age, I kinda have to roll out of the car or pivot in the seat to get my arthritic knees out.) I messed up a couple of cheap flashers until I changed to the more expensive NARVA units and relocated the mounting point.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2020 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps I needed to clarify that my turn signals work perfectly. If I switch the flashers, then turn signals don't work but emergency lights do work. So it's definitely the flasher that's broken.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2020 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My bad. Try the flashers from NARVA. I think you can find them in Europe. I've had good experience with them. When you replace the flasher, be mindful of where it's mounted.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock