1985 GT headlight motor issue by Traderman
Started on: 10-08-2022 08:17 AM
Replies: 15 (350 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 11-04-2022 02:25 PM
Traderman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2022 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TradermanSend a Private Message to TradermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all. I recently became the proud owner of a 1985 GT. Having an issue with the headlight system. Neither motor goes up or down when I used the switch(which was replaced new). I tested each motor and the drivers side motor I can get to move up and down but the passenger side will not. I’m guessing it will need a rebuild. I also have 12v of current feeding through the wiring, so that’s good. Replaced both relays for each motor and they still will not work with the switch. Only thing I’m am thinking is it could be the isolation relay. Any input, would be greatly appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2022 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Traderman:

Hi all. I recently became the proud owner of a 1985 GT. Having an issue with the headlight system. Neither motor goes up or down when I used the switch(which was replaced new). I tested each motor and the drivers side motor I can get to move up and down but the passenger side will not. I’m guessing it will need a rebuild. I also have 12v of current feeding through the wiring, so that’s good. Replaced both relays for each motor and they still will not work with the switch. Only thing I’m am thinking is it could be the isolation relay. Any input, would be greatly appreciated.

One of the best things you can do is rebuild them with Rodney's kit.

Going from a plastic gear (prone to break or worn) to a metal one is a great upgrade.

http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=230
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2022 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the motors run but don't operate the headlight assembly, it's the gears. Witchita gives good advice on replacements. If both don't run, it may be the isolation relay located on the left fender wall, beside the headlight assembly. They are no longer available as new relays. I have a few should you need one.

The motor relays that are mounted on the side of the headlight assembly have the same harnesses, but the circuitry is different. The last 4 numbers of the isolation relay are 2620.
Traderman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2022 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TradermanSend a Private Message to TradermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m going to run a couple more tests to try and pin point if it’s actually the isolation relay or not. If it is, I would certainly be interested in one of yours.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2022 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

One of the best things you can do is rebuild them with Rodney's kit.

Going from a plastic gear (prone to break or worn) to a metal one is a great upgrade.

http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=230

IMO the absolute BEST thing you can do is to convert from the Gen 1 headlight control system on '84, '85, & '86 Fieros to the Gen 2 headlight control systems found on the '87 & '88 Fieros. You can still buy replacement motors for these systems and the solid state control unit. (It's the same one from a C4 corvette.) You'll need to find a harness, module & motors from an '87 or '88 and spend a couple of hours (about a 2-beer job) swapping it over. Both of my '86 Fieros have the Gen 2 system. Best investment I've made on the lighting system. (I still have the Gen 1 systems and motors. Someday, I'll chase down the differences and convert them to Gen 2 systems and motors.
Traderman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2022 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TradermanSend a Private Message to TradermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

If the motors run but don't operate the headlight assembly, it's the gears. Witchita gives good advice on replacements. If both don't run, it may be the isolation relay located on the left fender wall, beside the headlight assembly. They are no longer available as new relays. I have a few should you need one.

The motor relays that are mounted on the side of the headlight assembly have the same harnesses, but the circuitry is different. The last 4 numbers of the isolation relay are 2620.

I would be interested in buying one of your isolation relays from you. Would you ship as I’m up on the east coast of Canada.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2022 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i can ship it, but your tariff is probably going to be high. Do you have Paypal?

PM sent to you.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 10-14-2022).]

Traderman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2022 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TradermanSend a Private Message to TradermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife, I think has a PayPal account. How much do you want for the isolation relay? Is it an original relay or one I need to wire in?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2022 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is an original relay. Used, of course since they haven't been available for many years. Check your Private Message Inbox.
Traderman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2022 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TradermanSend a Private Message to TradermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry. I’m new to this forum. I can’t seem to find any PM messages. I’ve sourced a relay from someone else in another province though. Hopefully that works out.
Traderman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2022 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TradermanSend a Private Message to TradermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Traderman

6 posts
Member since Oct 2022
Also wondering if the limit switches can be replaced? I have removed the passenger side headlight motor and bench tested and there is no power getting to the motor to make it run. There is a small glass tube inside that looks blackish in color and burnt.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2022 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done the rebuilds are they are not difficult IF you have the right rebuild parts and follow the instructions to a T. The first step is to remove the brush plate and check the brushes. They might be good but if not Rodney sells replacements that can be mounted in place with conductive epoxy. If the springs are worn away or broken then there is little that can be done and the motors are trash. If you glue new brushes in place on the springs wait 24 hours for the epoxy to set before completing the rebuild. The rest of the rebuild involves drilling out the screws opening the case and replacing the rubber bumpers inside the drive gear. If the drive gear looks good it can be used again but if there are any stripped teeth a new gear is required. The detailed process can be found on You Tube in the Buddy Craig Videos

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2022 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Traderman- at the first "page" of the forum (Table of contents) look all the way at the bottom where it should say "Inbox" for your private messages (PMs).

I converted my 85 over to the 87-88 system- need a front lighting harness, motor control module and then you can buy new motors (Still available).
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2022 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The limiter switches are replaceable, but like the isolation relay, aren't available except from another motor. Due to age, you must be careful when removing and installing them to prevent breaking the brushes off. I also have those, but for the thermal bulb and other parts of the limiter switch to be black is normal.

If you have no power going to the motor, swap the relays that are located on the headlight housing to the opposite sides. If the passenger side starts to work, it is the motor relay. Those are still available at most US auto stores so I assume they will also be in Canada.
JT6666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2022 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JT6666Send a Private Message to JT6666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been buying these rebuilt motors from Stanley Miller who has an ebay business.
2 prices, one with nylon gears, one with aluminum.
Refund on the cores.

Highly recommended.
Yeah, you can rebuild them yourself, but this guy has been doing this for years. It would take you twice as long to do it wrong.
Read the description- he's really thorough.

ebay link-
[URL=https://www.ebay.com/itm/164906573901?fits=Model%3AFiero%7CMake%3APontiac&hash=item266532a04d%3Ag%3A-DoAAOSwduBiTbi%7E&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsMJhC%2FOE7jqQE8iVvIP5odfn2b94v64g3lIv1mlieEy5P1AB6YCPR5TPn2gC0XEo087rs2aZCH4rE4vTg70CxXWcFn2KH2kmT1lVutfKWExgZ Yg61k]https://www.ebay.com/itm/16...kmT1lVutfKWExgZYg61k[/URL] WfyopapRWe5L9%2BDCz%2B3pYN8YZ%2FekPjAUAaRNOZchN9aAptEaU2VT4Bkblp3VxjBGrFpD2tL5PaxiAAZYNrsHZLS%2BVuPbvJ47BqmTHMpNMZrS0gakJ2pERALCfv%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_7VuuCHYQ&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C1000%7C2500

If the link doesn't work go to ebay and enter:
1984-1986 Pontiac Fiero OEM Headlight Motor Actuator Rebuild Repair Service

Hope that helps.
-JT

BTW- I've been trying to buy a Gen 2 harness n relay set-up for YEARS (I've had 5 Fieros.
Just Saw one on ebay for $500.
Bet it's being sold by one of you rascals !

[This message has been edited by JT6666 (edited 11-03-2022).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2022 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JT6666:

I've been buying these rebuilt motors from Stanley Miller who has an ebay business.
2 prices, one with nylon gears, one with aluminum.
Refund on the cores.

Highly recommended.
Yeah, you can rebuild them yourself, but this guy has been doing this for years. It would take you twice as long to do it wrong.
Read the description- he's really thorough.

ebay link-
[URL=https://www.ebay.com/itm/164906573901?fits=Model%3AFiero%7CMake%3APontiac&hash=item266532a04d%3Ag%3A-DoAAOSwduBiTbi%7E&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsMJhC%2FOE7jqQE8iVvIP5odfn2b94v64g3lIv1mlieEy5P1AB6YCPR5TPn2gC0XEo087rs2aZCH4rE4vTg70CxXWcFn2KH2kmT1lVutfKWExgZ Yg61k]https://www.ebay.com/itm/16...kmT1lVutfKWExgZYg61k[/URL] WfyopapRWe5L9%2BDCz%2B3pYN8YZ%2FekPjAUAaRNOZchN9aAptEaU2VT4Bkblp3VxjBGrFpD2tL5PaxiAAZYNrsHZLS%2BVuPbvJ47BqmTHMpNMZrS0gakJ2pERALCfv%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_7VuuCHYQ&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C1000%7C2500

If the link doesn't work go to ebay and enter:
1984-1986 Pontiac Fiero OEM Headlight Motor Actuator Rebuild Repair Service

Hope that helps.
-JT

BTW- I've been trying to buy a Gen 2 harness n relay set-up for YEARS (I've had 5 Fieros.
Just Saw one on ebay for $500.
Bet it's being sold by one of you rascals !

You can replace the Fiero isolation relay with a standard $8 12V DPDT relay. The instructions for hookup are somewhere here in the archives. In short the isolation relay sends power to each headlight motor relay in a separate path. You could get away with a SPDT relay but that hookup combines the supply path in a single feed. It will probably work but I've never tried it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock