Started on: 01-07-2014 01:56 PM
Replies: 38 (519 views)
Last post by: TheDigitalAlchemist on 09-17-2014 08:54 AM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Howdy all!

My son, his friend, and the members of a group they created are trying to get their project funded.

Please help by spreading the word (the link below) with folks you know, and maybe tossing a few bucks their way...

(It's sorta 'rough', but it's a bunch of 6-9 year olds)

Thanks in advance!

-TDA

http://www.indiegogo.com/pr...-your-help/x/5989958

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 01-10-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The whole "Maker" concept and community is SUCH a positive force - These kids feel like they are part of something larger, all working to create new things to help the world (might sound sappy, by I'm sure not gonna sour their spirit!)

Thanks again

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 09-17-2014).]

pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
" My Name is Ray. I am 7 years old. I love to create. I have been tinkering with things since I was a kid."

Got to love that line!!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats cool stuff! Nice idea.

" I am 7 years old. I love to create. I have been tinkering with things since I was a kid."

You know, like a few years ago I chuckled.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I left that in there. His idea of when he was a kid is defined as when he used to call me "daddy" (I't s firm "Dad" now...)

He's unique. and a blessing, and a handful. heh

When we went to donate some of his old toys, he asked if we could save a few, for HIS son. Heh.

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in for $20..... Hope they make there goal.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:

Yeah. I broke into the monthly Hookers and blow budget.
Didn't touch the blow money though.

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monthly Hookers? Obviously there are dues, but is it a club, pokey? Wait, I know, chest club, right?

[This message has been edited by heybjorn (edited 01-07-2014).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:

THANK YOU! I hope so too!

I'll make sure that any FPPers who donate get some sorta "Fiero-themed" 3D Printed object.
(Heh, that would be a neat project for him to tackle)
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.

"for the children "
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a *bump*

Requesting that if you belong to social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) please provide a link to their campaign:

http://igg.me/at/YCC/x/5989958

We'll add some videos over the weekend.

Thanks!

-TDA
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about for every person that you can get to follow me on twitter I donate a $1. Note all I tweet about is women, poop, and alcohol. It is a very tough life I lead dating a girl that lets me pretend that I am still single...and doesn't know about my twitter account.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

"for the children "

LOL... "You know... for the kids!" - Tim Robbins, The Hudsucker Proxy
I finally saw that movie recently. Pretty funny.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

How about for every person that you can get to follow me on twitter I donate a $1. Note all I tweet about is women, poop, and alcohol. It is a very tough life I lead dating a girl that lets me pretend that I am still single...and doesn't know about my twitter account.

Deal. PM your Twitter account.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you thought of kick starter?
PM me your address I got a few bucks hid away and this sounds great, for them and what they want to do.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Have you thought of kick starter?
PM me your address I got a few bucks hid away and this sounds great, for them and what they want to do.

Steve

I preferred indiegogo over Kickstarter for a few reasons. Thanks for your offer - every little bit helps!
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here he is , when he was younger...

I love how he re-positions the plane to get a better angle...
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know man. This isn't doing very well.

You got to give these fat fuds something like cookies.

They will spend spend 20 bucks for 5 dollars worth of cookies.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

I don't know man. This isn't doing very well.

You got to give these fat fuds something like cookies.

They will spend spend 20 bucks for 5 dollars worth of cookies.

Yeah, I know. We just didn't want to do it that way. Girlsscout cookies and boyscout popcorn...
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*bump*

Even a buck would mean a lot. I know the economy's not the best, but it sure would help out these kids.

Or, if you could share this via facebook or twitter or an any other forums, that would help as well...

Thank you.

(I'll only bump this once a week from now on, till their campaign is over so as not to overly-bug folks)

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 01-16-2014).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

THANK YOU! I hope so too!

I'll make sure that any FPPers who donate get some sorta "Fiero-themed" 3D Printed object.
(Heh, that would be a neat project for him to tackle)

Can that contraption make ..............biscuits?

PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Can that contraption make ..............biscuits?

Funny you should ask... they DO have 3d printers that make food...
So one 3d biscuit printer, one mechanical claw, and a little oven. Or print the biscuit on a conveyor belt which leads to the oven...

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a *bump* - Even if you just donate a buck or share this shortcut with your online friends, it would mean a LOT...

It might sound silly, but these kids honestly don't want a printer to print out toys.
(That's usually what folks initially print out, but the YCCers have had enough time with a 3D printer to 'get past" that stage.)
They want to develop medical-assistance hardware (Braces and items to improve mobility)
And also be able to share their designs on Thingiverse.
Again, I am kinda amazed at these kids and their devotion to this. It's partly due to them people in their lives who are incapacitated and this research would benefit from their work...
Thank you so much for those who have contributed to this, and to those who decide to do so in the future.

See ya in a week or so...

-TDA

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttt
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This has been an interesting experience for him, and a bit sobering for me. Thanks to some awesomely generous folks here, he'll get the Printrbot, which is a 3d printer in kit form. That way, he can build it with me, and he and his club folks can use the printer.

There's still time left, though. Please post an update on your social media if you choose to. Thanks.

-TDA
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your son and mine would get along great! I love seeing what kids can come up with when given the tools they need, so I tossed a few bucks toward his goal.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:

Your son and mine would get along great! I love seeing what kids can come up with when given the tools they need, so I tossed a few bucks toward his goal.

Thank you very, very much.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Less than 1 week left - Please spread the word:

and/or donate. Even 1 buck would be helpful as a show of support. Thanks.
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
come on, y'all. even a cheap heartless sob like me can help out with this.
do it.
for the children.
no, really.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some videos of their robot so far (1 arm +1/2 a torso)

Once they finish his torso + head, they plan on attaching it to this base:

or this one:

(so it will be able to follow them around)

That will be Mark I. The Mark II Torso will use arms similiar to this:
(MUCH FASTER)

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 03-03-2014).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's their final day! Please donate a buck,or 20...

(or post on Facebook/twitter/linkedin etc...)

We're gonna print out 3D Fieros for folks who have donated 20 bucks or more.

PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$20 sent. Good luck.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

$20 sent. Good luck.

THANK YOU!!!
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting 'things" . I don't for a moment pretend to understand what a 3d Printer is or does, but some day, years from now, when "EVERYBODY" has one, they'll say, "yeah, but back when I was a kid, I did this............"

Kinda like people my age used to build crystal radios.
(in my case, it was really two cans and a string but you get the idea)

Actually, we took some old car voltage regulators from generator charging systems, and built a serious of telegraph stations all over the neighborhood. Never did really get good at Morse Code before my dad ran over the line with the lawnmower but we had a good time till then.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Interesting 'things" . I don't for a moment pretend to understand what a 3d Printer is or does, but some day, years from now, when "EVERYBODY" has one, they'll say, "yeah, but back when I was a kid, I did this............"

Kinda like people my age used to build crystal radios.
(in my case, it was really two cans and a string but you get the idea)

Actually, we took some old car voltage regulators from generator charging systems, and built a serious of telegraph stations all over the neighborhood. Never did really get good at Morse Code before my dad ran over the line with the lawnmower but we had a good time till then.

Once we get the printer, we will record some videos where he converts the 3D Fiero mesh file into the proper format and prints some out for you guys.

I built a crystal radio as a kid, and then ended up working with a few of the people I used to listen to.(before they retired). My son didn't build one of them, but I did get him a few 'old school' kits and he just finished his first year competing in the pinewood derby(he came in 2nd in his local pack, and 6th in the district (not too shabby!) he designed it and built it, with my help. It was mostly him, though, which is the idea. Got a lot of the build on video...good times.

I believe this phase of 3D printing is almost over already-I think there will be significant improvements/ evolutionary advancements in a short span of time.

(full color professional printing at home)
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick update:

They're working on a very special "thank you" 3d object to print for those who have supported their efforts...pretty neat.
They should be done with slicing the object by the time they get the printer...

Thanks again, guys!
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
:beer:
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One final update - the printer has been ordered, look for our build thread in about a week!

Thanks again for your support and well wishes.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok

The printer has been built and is reliable enough to do some decent prints.

If you supported this,(via the Indigogo campaign, here on PFF,or privately) now's the time to shoot me a PM with your request.

I have the info for most of you, but please shoot me a PM, and include your real name, address and item(s) you want printed.

We will begin printings after this weekend's Makerfaire.

Thank you so much again for your support!!!

-TDA

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock