Started on: 10-03-2014 05:44 PM
Replies: 26 (443 views)
Last post by: fireboss on 10-06-2014 05:41 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats kinda neat....but um, they forgot to paint it !!!!!

http://rt.com/usa/192728-3d...fle-milling-machine/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, so for 1200 bucks, you can buy your own "gun maker" machine.

Does it "whittle" away the design from a solid block of metal?

It will be very interesting to watch this unfold... so, homemade guns can't be legally sold. can they be given away as gifts?

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You buy an 80% finished lower and this machine does the rest.
"The US does allow for creating a firearm from parts or kits, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), which states: “[An] unlicensed individual may make a 'firearm' as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution.”

As a way to get around that law, manufacturers can make a semi-finished lower receiver that “isn’t technically a gun, but gets as close to the line as possible,” Ars Technica reported. The metal piece is usually 80 percent finished, and can be purchased from a variety of companies. The Ghost Gunner machine will finish the lower receiver, and then customers can purchase the rest of the AR-15 parts online, without being subjected to waiting periods or background checks. "

It's legal as long as you don't sale or give the gun away, but the government is working on closing this loop hole.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 10-03-2014).]

User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post10-03-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

You buy an 80% finished lower and this machine does the rest.
"The US does allow for creating a firearm from parts or kits, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), which states: “[An] unlicensed individual may make a 'firearm' as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution.”

As a way to get around that law, manufacturers can make a semi-finished lower receiver that “isn’t technically a gun, but gets as close to the line as possible,” Ars Technica reported. The metal piece is usually 80 percent finished, and can be purchased from a variety of companies. The Ghost Gunner machine will finish the lower receiver, and then customers can purchase the rest of the AR-15 parts online, without being subjected to waiting periods or background checks. "

It's legal as long as you don't sale or give the gun away, but the government is working on closing this loop hole.

it isn't 'getting around the law' its 'complying with the law'.

And you CAN sell the gun you make. You just cant make it with intent to sell.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy them in blank form on amazon just look up Ar-15 paper weight
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by User00013170:

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Wow, so for 1200 bucks, you can buy your own "gun maker" machine.

Does it "whittle" away the design from a solid block of metal?

It will be very interesting to watch this unfold... so, homemade guns can't be legally sold. can they be given away as gifts?

They have built a milling machine just big enough to do these jobs. So it's "subtractative" manufacturing, not "Additive" as in printing.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, it's not a 3D printer; it's a purpose-built CNC mill.

That said, you can sell or trade a homemade gun (including one made from an 80% receiver), if you navigate through some legal red tape. You can read about that here: http://www.thefirearmblog.c...mination-letter-atf/

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post10-04-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Yeah, it's not a 3D printer; it's a purpose-built CNC mill.

That said, you can sell or trade a homemade gun (including one made from an 80% receiver), if you navigate through some legal red tape. You can read about that here: http://www.thefirearmblog.c...mination-letter-atf/

Just dont sell too many or you get called a manufacturer, and your life forever changes.

Calling it a 3d printer, was only to further the demonetization. it is Defense Distributed after all, those evil bastards that support terrorists with their products. Kidding aside, a nice *clean* compact CNC would be cool.. I know anytime i work out in the garage its a mess... and my machines wont be fitting on a kitchen counter..

[This message has been edited by User00013170 (edited 10-04-2014).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

You can buy them in blank form on amazon just look up Ar-15 paper weight

I tried that, but didn't find anything .

I tried ar-15 lower on E-bay and it brought up a 80% finished "paper weight".
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I tried that, but didn't find anything .

http://aresarmor.com/store/Category/hmgar15
http://www.80percentarms.com/
http://daytonatactical.com/...-ar15-lower-receiver
http://www.advancedrifles.com/
http://www.eparmory.com/EP8...lack-p/ep80black.htm

Duuuude, ya need google lessons. That took me under 90 seconds, including weeding out the "bad" links in the 1st 1/2 page
PFF
System Bot
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post10-04-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Which it is, legally. Until its 100% its just a blob of metal.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The whole 80% reference is kinda misleading and has just stuck throughout the years.

the receiver must not be in a working condition as to be a firearm part,as far as the Ar receivers they generaly leave the fire control pocket(where your trigger and hammer are located as well as safety selector) un milled and the holes to to install the parts undrilled.

If you purchase an unfinished metal receiver there is some pretty tedious work to machine them correctly...

That why I realy like the Ideal of a compact CNC to perform it ...
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post10-05-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

The whole 80% reference is kinda misleading and has just stuck throughout the years.

the receiver must not be in a working condition as to be a firearm part,as far as the Ar receivers they generaly leave the fire control pocket(where your trigger and hammer are located as well as safety selector) un milled and the holes to to install the parts undrilled.

If you purchase an unfinished metal receiver there is some pretty tedious work to machine them correctly...

That why I realy like the Ideal of a compact CNC to perform it ...

I dont see it as being misleading really. It indicates how much work has been done for you. Its better than saying "some of it", or a "lot of it".. it gives you something of a standard to 'work' with when shopping. Or did i misunderstand and you are having issue with using 80% and want it something like 50% or 90% for something at that level of completion instead?

I have seen people complete one with a 50 dollar bench drill press and a can of wd40. Its aluminum, its not THAT hard to do, if you go slow and measure 3 times and drill once.

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 80% is an industry name, not an ATF standard. It's fine by me, I get what they mean. It's just not technically a legal term, only a marketing term.
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post10-05-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

The 80% is an industry name, not an ATF standard. It's fine by me, I get what they mean. It's just not technically a legal term, only a marketing term.

Right, its an industry standard. I dont think anyone said it was an ATF standard. ATF is either 'its a gun or not' ( tho they do have rather loose rules for what is in some cases )
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And you CAN sell the gun you make. You just cant make it with intent to sell.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms...arms-technology.html

Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also, the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR 478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully transferred in the future.
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post10-05-2014 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms...arms-technology.html
[QUOTE]Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also, the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR 478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully transferred in the future.
[/QUOTE]

Isn't that what i said? You can still sell it later, just cant make it with intent. If you make it with *intent* that is a whole different problem.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Isn't that what i said? You can still sell it later, just cant make it with intent. If you make it with *intent* that is a whole different problem.

I was pointing out the identification (serial #) requirement in bold, not saying it couldn't be sold.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

http://aresarmor.com/store/Category/hmgar15
http://www.80percentarms.com/
http://daytonatactical.com/...-ar15-lower-receiver
http://www.advancedrifles.com/
http://www.eparmory.com/EP8...lack-p/ep80black.htm

Duuuude, ya need google lessons. That took me under 90 seconds, including weeding out the "bad" links in the 1st 1/2 page

Funny... None of those links are Amazon.com. He did say "You can buy them in blank form on amazon just look up Ar-15 paper weight", which I tried and didn't find any on Amazon. You didn't provide me with a link to some on Amazon, so.... do you need reading and comprehension lessons?

By the way, the whole reading and comprehension thing is a joke MEM . I just realized I haven't given you a nudge away from the red in awhile. I'll remedy that now.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-05-2014).]

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post10-05-2014 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

I was pointing out the identification (serial #) requirement in bold, not saying it couldn't be sold.

Ah ok.

Serial numbers are a good idea anyway, if your stuff is stolen, how could you ever identify it? And would you wnat to explain to the cops why there is no number? sure its legal, but the discussion wont go smoothly..

Everything i make has a number, if its going to stay around long enough not to just be an experiment and off to the scarp heap. Regardless of what it is.. Be it an AR-15, an aluminum motor mount, or some toy for xmas..
PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Funny... None of those links are Amazon.com. He did say "You can buy them in blank form on amazon just look up Ar-15 paper weight", which I tried and didn't find any on Amazon. You didn't provide me with a link to some on Amazon, so.... do you need reading and comprehension lessons?

By the way, the whole reading and comprehension thing is a joke MEM . I just realized I haven't given you a nudge away from the red in awhile. I'll remedy that now.

Amazon must have pulled them all since this came about. Four months ago I purchased six 80% lowers from amazon and they showed up to my door in a nice brown little box.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I dont see it as being misleading really. It indicates how much work has been done for you. Its better than saying "some of it", or a "lot of it".. it gives you something of a standard to 'work' with when shopping. Or did i misunderstand and you are having issue with using 80% and want it something like 50% or 90% for something at that level of completion instead?

I complete one with a 50 dollar bench drill press and a can of wd40. Its aluminum, its not THAT hard to do, if you go slow and measure 3 times and drill once.

No I think your (misunderstanding) is your belief in yourself.

I don't care what it is called --50,55,80,or 99.999% receiver. I was actually pointing out that it can be classed under other search words.

And actually there is not a real answer to how much work has been performed to bring it to a specific % of complection.

But tell you what....buy one and use a " 50 dollar bench drill press and a can of wd40"....vid it in real time while "you go slow and measure 3 times and drill once"
and lets see how easy it is ...... I mean " Its aluminum, its not THAT hard to do"

After all you "have seen people " not personaly but you seen it done , Right..?

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post10-06-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No I think your (misunderstanding) is your belief in yourself.

I have made more swarf in my life than you have breathed air. You are insignificant.

vid it in real time

I have nothing to prove. I know what my skill set is.

[This message has been edited by User00013170 (edited 10-06-2014).]

fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know its hard to admit when you are wrong,but keep being wrong and eventualy it will be eaiser for you...
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post10-06-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know its hard to admit when you are wrong,but keep being wrong and eventualy it will be eaiser for you...

If you are trying to bother me, it should pretty clear by now its a waste of time. But if you want the last word, feel free to post again.
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I put your quote at the bottom of mine ....am I last to post or are you?

If you are trying to bother me, it should pretty clear by now its a waste of time. But if you want the last word, feel free to post again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock