Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Not His, But A *Slightly Modified 1964 Jaguar E-Type - Jay Leno's Garage

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Not His, But A *Slightly Modified 1964 Jaguar E-Type - Jay Leno's Garage by Boondawg
Started on: 02-17-2016 08:28 PM
Replies: 21 (389 views)
Last post by: Thunderstruck GT on 02-23-2016 05:48 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post02-17-2016 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*Slightly modified to me mean's not changing the outside dimensions...but I'm no car guy.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tastefully done!

Although I don't agree with the mag.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post02-17-2016 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:
Tastefully done!
Although I don't agree with the mag.

I love the spinners, hate the rims...well, hate is a strong word.
Rim-wise, I could do better...

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I love the spinners, hate the rims...well, hate is a strong word.
Rim-wise, I could do better...

Those wheels were (and still are) a big buck option on the Mercedes 300SL Gullwing................

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-17-2016).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was in high school, my next door neighbor had an XKE very much like the first one in the video; pearl white, wire wheels and knock-offs, but right hand drive.
It was a beautiful car. It was totaled on the way to a show.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i dont like the add on headlights...too busy. the wheels and knock offs are factory jag. i like the car in general, but not fond of silver. xkes look good in british racing green.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

i dont like the add on headlights...too busy. the wheels and knock offs are factory jag. i like the car in general, but not fond of silver. xkes look good in british racing green.

Yeah I'm not crazy about those lights either. They remind me of that Toyota sports car that's currently hitting a million bucks at the auctions.

However, according to the guy that built it, those are suppose to be some kind of rare lights used on the Jag race cars. I've seen a lot of those XKE's, owned one many years ago, and never seen them 'til now.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-18-2016).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The XKE came from the Jaguar race only, 'D Type'. It was designed exclusively as a road racing car. It had a 'fin' headrest and only 1 seat. Some were modified as road cars and second seat added. Those are extremely rare. The XKE was the evolution to being a production road car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_D-Type

If you look close at the photos, you will see the same styled steel wheels and knockoffs from the racetrack.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 02-19-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

The XKE came from the Jaguar race only, 'D Type'. It was designed exclusively as a road racing car. It had a 'fin' headrest and only 1 seat. Some were modified as road cars and second seat added. Those are extremely rare. The XKE was the evolution to being a production road car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_D-Type

The one I had was a royal POS.

Ignition system on those cars always was junk, wiring was scrap, body had more rot than 3 cars. Had I have known that these POS would be coveted and worth good money even in their worst state I would have held onto it about 10 more years. Alas, I was thrilled to get 1800 bucks for it at the time.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

The one I had was a royal POS.

Ignition system on those cars always was junk, wiring was scrap, body had more rot than 3 cars. Had I have known that these POS would be coveted and worth good money even in their worst state I would have held onto it about 10 more years. Alas, I was thrilled to get 1800 bucks for it at the time.

My brother in law has one, he's a mechanical engineer working in the automotive industry, he's got several cars that most of us would call collectible. A couple of Porsches, the XKE Jag, a Mercedes convertible 500SL.............. But, he spends more time keeping that XKE running that he spends on all his other cars put together. They are all drivers and he's not afraid to take any of them on a cross country trip but, always takes a significant set of tools along, especially if he's in the XKE.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2016 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jags biggest issue in older ones was Lucan Electronics. Engine wise whether the 6 or 12 cylinder, the valves always need constant attention . I have a customer who is exclusively a Jaguar collector. He is always working on them. Ive never found them to rust any more than comparable cars of the same periods. In American cars, NOTHING rusts as much as all brands of SUVs and pickups. I know several people with rusted out rockers and bed sides on 3-4 year old ones, whether its Ford, Chevy or Dodge. One in particular recently was a 2013 Dodge Ram. Its garaged, low miles and elderly owner treats it as his baby. Its had new bedsides, door bottoms and tailgate already from rustout....holes big enough to put your hand in. A friend with a few year old Exploder had the front control arm mounts fall out of the frame, and a dealer had a Dodge p/u had same problem. Ive seen Porsches that litterally rusted in half behind the doors....yes....BROKE in two. Your going to have a very hard time finding any 60s cars with no rust on them.
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2016 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the new style Rams are rotting more than any of them with GM and Ford not far behind.

These newer trucks seem to be rotting out quicker than previous years/gens and cost 20-30% more.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-21-2016).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least Ford sees rust as a problem and now makes them out of aluminum.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aluminum still corrodes.

Ask a Mustang owner.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, in a different way and not with even minimal care. Rock corrodes too. There are lots off 60 year old aluminum planes still flying. 40 year old airliners still fly routes everyday....and the pickups aluminum is MUCH heavier. Sorry if I missed it, but Ive never seen a corroded aluminum Mustang or worked on one. Myself and friends have had lots of cars with aluminum hoods, and never seen a corroded one one of those yet either. I have seen some with surface corrosion that caused the paint to bubble off...that was just a sand it and refinish it job. Ive been doing bodywork for 50 years. Repaired lots of aircraft too, never found anything more than minor surface corrosion which was just a white powder residue. The only car ive come across with corrosion perforation was a 1977 Ferrari 308 that was at the bottom of a river for 15 years that I helped restore. If that had been a steel car, you wouldnt even have been able to pull it out except in chunks.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 02-22-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without getting into my autobody experience (doesn't matter here) there is one guy here that has had his aluminum Mustang hood replaced 3 times. Twice under warranty and the last one on his dime. He says it rots this time the car is gone and he'll never buy another.

Airplanes? I'm sorry, I've never seen one tooling down a salt covered northeastern road in the wintertime so I can't really comment.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just commented on aluminum corroding, not where or how. How do aluminum boat hulls and seaplanes do setting in salt water...? I never have seen one in 50 years myself. I did however google it and found there is a problem sometimes with the Mustang. Suits were all dismissed by courts. The problem ive read in most cases is iron contamination in the aluminum. The defect is not the aluminum in the hood, but contaminates in the aluminum itself. It seems also that body shops not familiar with working with aluminum create the problem themselves by using tools and materials containing other metals, mostly iron, and causing it to return. One neighbor of mine on the island has a Cessna 172 floatplane with aluminum pontoons. Hes kept it floating at his dock by his house, in the ocean (salt water) since 1978. Its never been on land except for maintenance. There are no wheels, uses a dolly.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My point being that aluminum is not the "be all, end all" solution in the automotive field as it will corrode/rot. But time will tell won't it?

And for the record, I've never seen the all aluminum Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler rot. But then, I've never seen them in the snow either.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, probably not great in winter with no heat, no roof and no fenders

Ill say the repeated problems your friend has, maybe even the factory, is they dont paint the aluminum properly in the first place. Most body shops would throw on a coat of shop primer and then paint it. For aluminum, you have to first anodize it with a wash on the bare aluminum, then a coat of zinc-chromate sealer, THEN primer and paint. Ill bet most shops dont even know what those are. I learned how to finish aluminum by painting planes for Aero Commander. I doubt even factory does any of that since I remember all the paint peeling off galvanized body panels on older Caravans/Voyagers. It didnt corrode, the paint just fell off. They didnt corrode even when it was left bare with no paint. Now they make those panels from plain steel and they rust away like all other cars. We just have to wait a few years to see how the Ford pu bodies stand up. IF I was looking to buy a pu, that aluminum body would stop me from looking anywhere else.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe GM is going aluminum next year which is kinda funny considering their TV commercials taking shots at Ford being aluminum.

But then, that's GM for ya.

Late to the party, look the other way at what's going on around you and ignore what the customer wants.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All pickups have had the same rust issues for decades. Always the bed sides and rocker panels....some on door bottoms and tailgates. I really dont know why they just dont make those parts of reinforced fiberglass and be done with it. My sister in Dallas brags her pickup hasnt been washed since she bought it new in 2011. I told her if she had it up here, her bed would be gone by now and she would have a flatbed with no rocker panels. Its not uncommon around me to see pickups driving around with rubber bungee cords holding the bed to the frame and the tailgate to the bed.
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a 2012 Chevy today with rot starting on the box and have already seen the new gen Dodges with rot. My '11 Super Duty has rust on the bottoms of the box sides due to delam which is probably due to this new water-based paint everyone must use now. I'm sure the only reason my SD doesn't have any rot yet is because I had this one rustproofed. But I'm sure if I didn't, it would have rot too. Hell, up until this year, the Super Duty has been built the same way since 1999. And they still rot in the same spots.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-23-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock