Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  U.S. auto industry wants 95-octane gas to replace today's Regular, Plus, Premium

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
U.S. auto industry wants 95-octane gas to replace today's Regular, Plus, Premium by rinselberg
Started on: 04-19-2018 03:46 AM
Replies: 16 (322 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-19-2018 09:35 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The auto industry is finally getting traction on its quest to make 95 RON octane gasoline -- basically the same grade as Europe’s regular and the lowest grade of premium here -- the new regular in the United States.

In testimony Friday before the House Energy and Commerce Committee's environment subcommittee, Dan Nicholson, General Motors' vice president of global propulsion systems, said making 95 octane the new regular aligns the U.S. with Europe and is one of the most affordable ways to boost fuel economy and lower greenhouse gas emissions.

OK, now you're on your own. The remainder is online at Automotive News.
http://www.autonews.com/art...ctane-as-new-regular

Or, Auto Week:
http://autoweek.com/article...ight-be-new-standard
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a good idea, on the surface, to me.

Thanks for reporting something interesting without getting all political or religious.
GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or they could stop putting corn in it...
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe e85 is 100-105 octane
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
95 octane in the States sounds like a good way to raise the price to Europe levels.

[This message has been edited by FrugalFiero (edited 04-19-2018).]

ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

I believe e85 is 100-105 octane

105 here. My truck had a trip meter of 13.8 with around 400 miles. I put E85 and went to Kansas this month. Took me all the way down to 10.7. It was not cost effective for the lost economy. I haven't reset, but the trip back (another 300 miles) and I still haven't recovered the MPG on the tripometer. Actual MPG for that tank had to be in the 8 or 9 range.
Next time I've got an unloaded trip I'm going to buy it again and see exactly where it leaves me. I was white knuckle driving pulling into Lansas City from OKC with a 36 gallon tank. Computer said I had 6 miles left and I couldn't find a station.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Higher octane enables engineers to raise an engine's compression ratio. That, in turn, increases horsepower and torque and helps the engine run more efficiently. Raising an engine's compression may be the most cost-effective -- and untapped -- way to improve fuel economy and lower carbon dioxide emissions. Increasing compression usually requires a modification to the pistons or the cylinder head's combustion chambers.
http://www.autonews.com/art...ctane-as-new-regular

If you take the report at face value, the people that are promoting this idea are looking to the kinds of gasoline-powered engines that could be used in cars, trucks and SUVs that are at least several model years in the future--not in the vehicles that are on the road today or that will be built during just the next few years ahead.

They are leaning towards the idea of phasing in gasoline-powered engines with higher compression ratios than are commonly seen today, in the U.S. and Canada.

That's my take.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 04-19-2018).]

LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

105 here. My truck had a trip meter of 13.8 with around 400 miles. I put E85 and went to Kansas this month. Took me all the way down to 10.7. It was not cost effective for the lost economy. I haven't reset, but the trip back (another 300 miles) and I still haven't recovered the MPG on the tripometer. Actual MPG for that tank had to be in the 8 or 9 range.
Next time I've got an unloaded trip I'm going to buy it again and see exactly where it leaves me. I was white knuckle driving pulling into Lansas City from OKC with a 36 gallon tank. Computer said I had 6 miles left and I couldn't find a station.

That is do to the Stoichiometric ratio. It takes about 1.5 times more e85 then gas for the same reaction
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is do to the Stoichiometric ratio. It takes about 1.5 times more e85 then gas for the same reaction

Sorry, my brain isn't working, does that mean at 10MPG I need 33% fuel savings or am I out of touch with math these days. This is a legit question, as I'm not feeling well.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Sorry, my brain isn't working, does that mean at 10MPG I need 33% fuel savings or am I out of touch with math these days. This is a legit question, as I'm not feeling well.

At any consumption rate, you would need to save 33% to get the same value with an increase in the number of fill ups, just based on the chemistry. There is more to it, but the chemistry part is the majority factor.

And that is compared to 100% gasoline, not the 10-15% ethanol that is the regular now.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

At any consumption rate, you would need to save 33% to get the same value with an increase in the number of fill ups, just based on the chemistry. There is more to it, but the chemistry part is the majority factor.

And that is compared to 100% gasoline, not the 10-15% ethanol that is the regular now.

Guess I'm not feeling as ill as I thought.
PFF
System Bot
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My old Volkswagen manual said it was designed to run on "economical regular" grade gas........ anything over 92 octane.

Yup get rid of the corn fuel. Not good for anything, another great eco whacko democrat pad their pockets bad idea.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, whats the ethanol content of this "95 octane".
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Ya, whats the ethanol content of this "95 octane".

Some of the cost savings from switching to 95 octane gasoline presumably would come from refiners gaining efficiencies from producing high volumes of one fuel for the U.S. Nicholson told me that it doesn't matter how the petroleum industry raises octane. Octane can be increased in several ways, such as by using more ethanol or by reducing heptane.

David Filipe, vice president of Ford's powertrain engineering, appearing on the panel with Nicholson, said 95 octane fuel must be affordable. "That's been something that has been important to us. How do we do this without having a big impact on the customer?," Filipe said. "We don't want to put the burden onto the customer." Filipe said the cost must not add more than 5 cents per gallon.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20180417/BLOG06/180419780/auto-industry-lobbies-for-95-octane-as-new-regular

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 04-19-2018).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If more ethanol gets us the "octane", count me out.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From my owner's my owner's manual

If you exclusively use E85 fuel, it is recommended to fill the fuel tank
with regular unleaded gasoline at each scheduled oil change.

For flexible fuel vehicles, if operating with E85 ethanol, an engine block heater must be used if ambient temperature is below 0°F (-18°C).

Never owned a gas vehicle with a block heater.

I've used it once. Doubt it happens again.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2018 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys this is a Giant Con.

Auto and other industries are playing a Numbers Game calling for 95 RON making people think will majorly increase Octane in gas you get...
Far Worse, Many Trade Rags are claiming 95 RON is Equal to 95 Octane at US pumps.
This is Not True and they should know better but just pushing complete crap stories.

What They really want to Change the Octane Number Label from (RON+MON)/2 to RON only and eliminate old "87 regular."

My cave, Fuel & Knock, skims over US vs EU Octane Ratings for many years but Many have no clue so what the "codes" mean so:
MON is Motor Octane Number and always a Low number.
RON is Research Octane Number and always a Higher number. Often ~10 points higher then MON.
Octane Number Labels at All US pumps are the average of both as AKI (Anti-Knock Index) and labeled such... That (RON+MON)/2 on label on the pump sticker...

Octane Number at EU Japan and others Pumps only have the RON and looks Higher Grade then US gas But Is Not Very True.

Some example of current numbers see http://boostsource.com/?p=238
As seen there, Regular (87) is 91 RON and Premium (93) is 97 RON... So 95 RON isn't even Premium or "Super Premium" as some idiots in the Press claim but a Mid Grade at best.
Note: E10 numbers may be different at the pump in different areas because how regional fuel requirement mix to meet EPA and state rules for Reformulated Gas etc. Is why most pumps are labeeds w/ "up to 10% Ethanol" because often have Less depending winter/summer gas in a giving area.
More just Google et al: us vs eu octane

The game is likely to "Harmonize" (A Term to US and other Customs to Import/Export everything.) the EU and US Octane ratings to use same standards so Less Testing, Engine Tuning and Publishing Documents like Owners Manual for Regional Sales saving Car Companies Many Millions of $ € ¥ each year.
MON testing is very expensive and needed standard test engines like This example so Eliminating MON testing would likely save Oil Refiners Many Millions of $ too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-19-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock