Started on: 08-04-2020 11:34 AM
Replies: 8 (343 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 08-04-2020 04:50 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A quick random thought about the "murder hornets." We know this species of hornets are native to East Asia, primarily China.

This is a map of where the murder-hornets exist (cropped out the blow-up of Europe because who cares):

Note, the spread seemingly has absolutely nothing to do specifically with climate, type of habitat, prevailing storm winds, or anything of the sort. Yet, they seem to all exist entirely in the countries that are currently economically and politically embroiled with China, which includes US, Western Europe, Australia, and Argentina (little Trump), ...and they literally just showed up at the beginning of 2020.

Discuss...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If these hornets are "bumming rides" (so to speak) inside of shipping containers (etc.) then doesn't it make sense that they are being observed in the countries that have the larger and more active trade relationships with China?

I just saw a news report (like yesterday) about one of these hornets being taken (alive) in Washington state (I think.) Caught in a trap. Or someone went after it with a Murder Hornet Net (probably a new item you can order from Amazon.) I did not read the very brief report, but that is would I would expect to have seen.

National Geographic also just came out with a Murder Hornet report. It was not given a title like that. The title is actually more reassuring. I did not read it or look any further at it.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

If these hornets are "bumming rides" (so to speak) inside of shipping containers (etc.) then doesn't it make sense that they are being observed in the countries that have the larger and more active trade relationships with China?

That is definitely a logical explanation, one that I hadn't considered.

In that vein though, you'd see substantially more cases on the West Coast (there are almost none), you'd see a TON in Brazil (huge trading partner with China), and I think you'd see a lot in Mexico, which you do not.
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post08-04-2020 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's the dumbasses planting all those seeds. The things sprout murder hornets in just a couple of days.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would start here--if I were going to "start."
https://www.nationalgeograp...murder-hornets-bees/

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 08-04-2020).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So many thousands of Chinese origin shipping containers come into the US Western ports, it would seem reasonable to believe that Calif and Oregon as well as the entire Western and SW US would be over run by murder hornets if it was only a case of them hitching a ride in Chinese shipping containers or even ships.

The top 10 US imported container destinations from China are: (1 TEU= Twenty Foot Equivalent Unit)
1. Port of los Angeles. 9.46 million TEUs
2. Port of Long Beach. 8.1 million TEUs
3. Port Authority NYC and NJ. 7.18 million TEUs
4.Port of Savanna Ga 4.35 million TEUs.
5. Port of Seattle/Tacoma. 3.8 million TEUs
6. Port of Virginia. 2.86 million TEUs
7. Port of Houston. 2.7 million TEUs
8. Port of Oakland Calif. 2.55 million TEUs
9. Port of Charelston. 2.32 million TEUs
10. Port of San Juan, Puerto Rico 2.2 million TEUs

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 08-04-2020).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I murdered some hornets the other day. The survivors probably call me the "murder human" now.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 210
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Hahaha!!!

Ok, it's been a long time since I played F-15 Strike Eagle II on the IBM/PC, but let me see if I can figure these out... those are side-winders, and some AMRAAM missiles?

And obviously that's an F/A-18 Hornet... but MicroProse never came out with that game as far as I know... just F-117/A Stealth Fighter, F-15 Strike Eagle, M1 Tank Platoon, and Gunship. Did I miss one?

EDIT: OMG, they made a B-17 Flying Fortress one!!!!

https://www.abandonwaredos....ng+fortress&gid=1333

and damn! They made Silent Service too... loved those games...

Most favorite game in the whole world though... still... was Sub Battle Simulator by EPYX circa early 1980s something or other. Played it on my KayPro 8088 in Hercules Monochrome...

Lol... you've gotten me off on a tangent...

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 08-04-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock