Chassis Stretching???? by saleenfiero
Started on: 09-29-2000 03:22 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: rockcrawl on 09-30-2000 09:15 AM
saleenfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2000 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saleenfieroSend a Private Message to saleenfieroDirect Link to This Post
What exactly is involoved in this lenthening of a fiero chassis to allow for a real length of the car it is supposed to emulate? It sounds like it might really weaken the whole frame pretty good, especially if it got hit. How is the strength, if done RIGHT?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2000 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
done right it should be fine. Plenty of limo's running around for example.
RedOktober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2000 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedOktoberClick Here to visit RedOktober's HomePageSend a Private Message to RedOktoberDirect Link to This Post
depends on which kit you are interested in putting on. A 355 needs only 3'' a TR needs 8'' and a Diablo is going to need 12'' and a countach needs anywhere in between depending on the body kit. The frame stretch is easy if you are fully equipt for a rebody. Most will need some form of X frame underneath and additional support if the roof is being cut off too. Talk to the peeps selling the body and see what they have done.

From my experience, the stretched Fiero Chassis is just as strong, if not stronger than the original ( for flexing with out the roof). As for safety in an accident, you be the judge! Cuz most kits require the removal of the fromt bumper and misc hardware (less to protect you in a frontal hit).

Hope this helps.

------------------
86 SE V6 Auto Turbo Going 3.4 OHV
86 2M4 5sp (Beater)

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2000 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I watched Bob Steiger do a 7" stretch in 1/2 a day. He welded the back half of a rolling chassie to the doner car cut in a precise manner. The stretched car had other reinforced supports welded in also. When its done right it is welded just like it would be from the factory.
olympic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2000 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olympicSend a Private Message to olympicDirect Link to This Post
I've heard its very hard to get the car to track straight afterwards.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2000 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Thats why I would leave any streching of the body to the experts.
WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2000 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIRODirect Link to This Post
And make sure the "experts" know about Fieros. Fiero Motorsports HATED getting kit cars especially stretch jobs. No one would ever fess up to the butcher job on these things...if you get one make sure you have someone take a good look at it or have Stieger do it. He comes highly recommended it would seem! Keith Huff had nothing but nice things to say about him!
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2000 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post

I've heard its very hard to get the car to track straight afterwards.

That's not really true, unless the guy who did the stretch was a complete idiot. If someone is not sure about it, he shouldn't be doing it himself. It can be done properly. As for the safety of the car afterwards, the frame stretch doesn't affect much, but the other chassis mods requires for some of the rebodies make the car downright scary. I built a Countach replica, lets just say I'm glad I never crashed it!

------------------
Jon Lagler
'86 GT 3800 (for sale)
'87 GT (noisey 2.8)
4.9 liter V8 Testarossa Spyder (under construction)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock