2.0L Turbo Fiero???? by Formula 18
Started on: 10-12-2000 10:25 AM
Replies: 23
Last post by: loafer87gt on 10-18-2000 02:11 AM
Formula 18

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2000 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 18Send a Private Message to Formula 18Direct Link to This Post
Does anyone know if you could swap the duke for a 2L turbo out of the 98-90 Sunbird turbo coupes? You would probally need the wiring harness and cpu but will the bolt hole physicaly line up? If not could you use the turbo on the duke?

I hav heard they're making about 170Hp. That's he same as a older 3800 and the I4 has to be lighter.

------------------
Brian
-88 Formula

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2000 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
I have an article comparing the 2.0 litre Turbo, 2.7 Super Duty, and 2.8 Turbo. It is from an old FOCOA issue. I'm not sure how much work is involved, but from the article it sounds like the 2.0 litre engine is bullet proof. It is actually an Opel SOHC powerplant and has some advanced engine management systems that automatically adjust timing to prevent detonation when running low octane fuel. Hooked up to a 3.61 final drive ratio 5 Spd, it was able to do o-60 in 6.3 seconds, and is the GT in the test was able to hit 147 mph. The engine puts out 165 hp, and 175 torque, and has a 6500 PRM redline. You could actually special order this engine when purchasing your Fiero, I think it was called the Delta-204T package. Would be a neat swap.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2000 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by loafer87gt:
I have an article comparing the 2.0 litre Turbo ... You could actually special order this engine when purchasing your Fiero, I think it was called the Delta-204T package. ...

WTF?!
Are you serious? I've followed Fieros since they were first introduced and I've never heard of this. Are you sure it wasn't some sort of factory-sponsored racecar?

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula T-Top
88 Coupe (soon to receive transplant.)
88 "pretzeled" Formula

Out of my mind.
Back in five minutes.

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2000 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
It was a company called Redshift that did work. I have the full color brochure that I will scan in this afternoon and put up on the site. From the beggining of the brochure:

"You've been waiting for the Fiero that has the performance to match the sporty styling and up-dated suspension. Well, wait no more! Your Fiero is here. And you can have it any way you want. Your Pontiac dealer can order a Delta 204-T with a 2.0 Litre Turbocharged 4 cylinder installed in the Fiero of your choice and equipped the way you want."

I'll scan in the brochure, it has some neat pics of the car and the engine, and it looks like a factory GT except for the delta 204-t decal on the front air damn and the Mario Andretti signature on the front quarter panel. It was totally street legal and meets EPA and CARB standards.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2000 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
WOW! I wonder if they actually built some? I've never seen or heard of one and if one (or more) do exist, they may just be the rarest of any Fiero built.

Is the company still in existance? If so, I wonder if they have records of how many were built. I suspect that, since the Fiero was cancelled, this optioned may have been cancelled as well.

Courious,
Roy

baldlobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2000 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for baldloboSend a Private Message to baldloboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by loafer87gt:
It was a company called Redshift that did work. I have the full color brochure that I will scan in this afternoon and put up on the site. From the beggining of the brochure:

"You've been waiting for the Fiero that has the performance to match the sporty styling and up-dated suspension. Well, wait no more! Your Fiero is here. And you can have it any way you want. Your Pontiac dealer can order a Delta 204-T with a 2.0 Litre Turbocharged 4 cylinder installed in the Fiero of your choice and equipped the way you want."

I'll scan in the brochure, it has some neat pics of the car and the engine, and it looks like a factory GT except for the delta 204-t decal on the front air damn and the Mario Andretti signature on the front quarter panel. It was totally street legal and meets EPA and CARB standards.

Is there an option code for this?

88 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2000 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FieroSend a Private Message to 88 FieroDirect Link to This Post
Actually...the engines that was used to swapped the factory was the same Pontiac Sunbird turbo cars. 2.0 liter turbo charged engine... I believe it was labeled as the Granetelli cars...very cute package...
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2000 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
I just checked out Redshifts website and they have adjustable height rear suspension kits for the Fiero for only $199 Canadian! They appear to have gone into the import performance stuff now tho.
www.redshift.ca/performance/suspension/

BTW, yes it is the same engine as the Sunbird, but it is actually an Opel designed powerplant. I did a search on the net for info on the Andretti fiero or Delta 204T Fiero and all I found was some 0-60 times for the car on a university students homepage. I also found the magazine review of the car along with the brochure so I'll fire them both up onto the site as soon as I get them scanned in. Looks like a neat car, extremely rare by the sound of things!

[This message has been edited by loafer87gt (edited 10-12-2000).]

zeusrekning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2000 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zeusrekningSend a Private Message to zeusrekningDirect Link to This Post
man those adjustable springs would be a breeze to make. i wonder how they keep the threaded ring from moving?
I would probably not use 6061 alum either. Seems like something in the two thousand series would be stronger.personally i like steel.
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2000 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
I have the article and the color brochure scanned in. Drop me an email if anyone is interested in getting a copy. The files are pretty big to post on PIP, and I don't want Cliff getting in copyright trouble either.
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2000 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
GIMMEGIMMEGIMME!!!!!

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

PFF
System Bot
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2000 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
me too!
lastminutebastrd@aol.com

Zues, they keep the spring seat from turning with a set screw. Just turn it 'till it hits the threads and then torque it a little. You can see it in the picture on the site, it's the black dot on the right side of the spring seat.

[This message has been edited by Standard (edited 10-13-2000).]

87ECO5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2000 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87ECO5Send a Private Message to 87ECO5Direct Link to This Post
Me too, please - Fiero87EC5@aol.com
baldlobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2000 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for baldloboSend a Private Message to baldloboDirect Link to This Post
me too; jtoomer@hotmail.com

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2000 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Dare I say it?

Me too! shamilton@mindspring.com

I'm amazed.
I've never heard of this.

Thanks for the info!

------------------
Raydar

Out of my mind.
Back in five minutes.

88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2000 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulaClick Here to visit 88formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88formulaDirect Link to This Post
Could you send me that file also?

Thanks

webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2000 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
Ditto the file request. TIA
Formula 18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2000 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 18Send a Private Message to Formula 18Direct Link to This Post
Ok, Right now I have a Garrett t-3 Turbo unit in my Garage waiting to be put in my Formula but it seems like that this 2.0L turbo would make a quicker car or as quick and lighter too. It would be a fun swap into a 84 econ coupe or a later coupe too.

PS I want what ever everyone else hass too!!!

brian.miller@altavista.net

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2000 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Hey Loafer87GT in Canada, gimme all the info you got. The information you share with the other Fiero crazed guys should send the whole community abuzz with excitement. Hold on to this story by the short hairs! Do not let it pass into no-mans land. All the clubs nationwide will soon be ordering 2.0 Turbos for thier rides. I'm awaiting your e-mail. Thanks for your Colombo-like work! Kevin
rnoswal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2000 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rnoswalClick Here to visit rnoswal's HomePageSend a Private Message to rnoswalDirect Link to This Post
I sent an e-mail as requested, or do I need to ask for the info on the 2.0 here? If so please send it to me too.

Thanks
Russ

------------------
Russ

Formula 18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2000 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 18Send a Private Message to Formula 18Direct Link to This Post
Hey come on guys... No body wants a fuel effecent turbo that is faster and lighter than a stock v6???

Loafer-->

I used the Email address you have in your personal info but I got it back? I would reeally like that article and brocure. I found an engine tranny computer.... the whole thing for like cheap and think i I found a tired 4 cyl I might just try it.

PFF
System Bot
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2000 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Just checked out the article again, only 11 were ever sold to customers! Man, can you imagine what one of these would be worth? Anyone ever seen one at a car show?
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2000 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
I don't believe you could order have ordered
this engine set-up through the dealer. Redline purchased these cars then did the swap then sold them to customers. As such, there is no factory RPO code to support it.

I had heard that only 2 Andretti '88 GT's were built with the 2.0 turbo (both burgundy w/gray interior and special "Andretti" graphics), but I could be wrong. I do know that one of them was for sale a few years ago. They were asking a lot for it and it had about 100K miles on it, so I passed. It was somewhere in Oregon.

At any rate, I suppose it would make a nice, cheap set-up, but weren't these engines just as problemsome with head gaskets as the quad-4?

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2000 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
The article say that the vehicle was a joint venture between GM and RedShift. The car was available through Johnlink Pontiac in Washington. There are 11 cars in existence, ten 1988's, and one 1987 model.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock