87 V6 ECM have cruise in it? by FieroJoe
Started on: 11-11-2001 10:08 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: FieroJoe on 11-13-2001 01:15 PM
FieroJoe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2001 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
I am planning on doing an engine swap sometime soon, and I am probably going to get an 87 V6, complete with wiring and ECM, and all belt driven accessories. I wish to keep my cruise control. My car is an 87 coupe with the 2.5L, and I know that I do not have a cruise control module because the cruise logic is contained within the ECM. But, does that hold true for the 87 and 88 V6's as well?

Also, for those who know, will I be able to use my DA-V5 variable displacement AC compressor with the V6? Or, again, with the computer not be able to control it, since it does have have the same type high and low pressure switches? I would prefer if I didnt have to release all the R-12 and then have to get it filled again.

Thanks!

------------------

'87 Coupe 5spd.
AIM:FieroJoe87

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2001 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
Nope, not cruise. Use the external module.

Any compressor will work if you can make it fit and connect the belt to it. The ECM will control the clutch.

roadwarrior

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2001 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for roadwarriorSend a Private Message to roadwarriorDirect Link to This Post
this is just an idea but couldn't you just use the vacum lines for an external modual providing you splice before you get to the regulator?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2001 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
You'll may need to convert to an aftermarket cruise system. You might be able to convert to the external module but don't count on it. you'll also need the right throttle cable for the V6.

If you can find the right brackets for the V5 off a later model V6 you can keep the V5. You may need to change it's clutch or other pulleys.... The Fiero V6 still drives the AC with a V belt....

V5 is a better compressor than the A6 types. That variable displacement means less HP loss and no surging from the clutch cycling.

Conversion to an A6 is more complicated than the compressor and ECM... You'll also have to install and wire a preasure cycling switch for the A6 clutch.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2001 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
You'll may need to convert to an aftermarket cruise system. You might be able to convert to the external module but don't count on it. you'll also need the right throttle cable for the V6.

I counted on the new throttle cable for both the pedal and the cruise. Are there any electronic type cruise modules available that will allow me to keep the current vacuum diaphragm in the engine compartment? Also, how does the external cruise box hook into the ECM? If the 87 computer will already have input for it, shouldn't I just be able to add the external box to car, splice it into the (new V6) ecm, and then possibly have to rewire the wiring harness in the engine compartment so it can work?

If you can find the right brackets for the V5 off a later model V6 you can keep the V5. You may need to change it's clutch or other pulleys.... The Fiero V6 still drives the AC with a V belt....

V5 is a better compressor than the A6 types. That variable displacement means less HP loss and no surging from the clutch cycling.

Conversion to an A6 is more complicated than the compressor and ECM... You'll also have to install and wire a preasure cycling switch for the A6 clutch.
[/b]

I would be getting the entire engine, with wiring and everything, but the reason, besides the non cycling of the V5, for keeping my current V5 is so I don't have to release all the freon. Is the bracket for the 87 V6 going to be different? Can it be modified, so I will still be able to tighten the belt, or would I have to try to make my own?

Also, I assume that the clutch and v belt assy off an A6 type compressor should be a bolt on to my V5?

Thanks again guys!

[This message has been edited by FieroJoe (edited 11-12-2001).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2001 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
A6 is totally diferant from V5. While it's posible, I doubt the A6 clutch will fit the V5. You'll have to find another V5 with the V belt clutch and get that changed onto it.

For brackets,,, I don't know it you can modify them or not. I'd dig around the scrap yards and see what GM did with that block in other cars. You should be able to find the V5 brackets/pulleys on one of the newer cars using that block format.

Cruise... I don't know just what is differant in the harnesses. The module might splice in but I doubt it. I'm not sure if there's enough space for it there either. I believe it usually lives under the carpet on the driver's side of the tunnel like the sub woofer amp does on the passenger's side.

There is a small black plug on the harness near the ECM... That plug is the cruise control interface to the ECM. In theory you would need to connect the V6 cruise to that plug and the system should work to a point... you'll still need to figure out how the module gets it's VSS feed.

Aftermarket is going to come as a package. That I know of, everyone here who's tried one likes it and the way it looks. I don't have much use for cruise where I do most of my driving so I've not bothered with adding it to mine.

I strongly recomend finding someone with ALLdata. They have cruise wiring for all years of Fiero. Then you can print both the 4 cyl and V6 and compair them at lenght. I wouldn't even try to alter that system without the wire diagrams for both engines.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-12-2001).]

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2001 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
A6 is totally diferant from V5. While it's posible, I doubt the A6 clutch will fit the V5. You'll have to find another V5 with the V belt clutch and get that changed onto it.

For brackets,,, I don't know it you can modify them or not. I'd dig around the scrap yards and see what GM did with that block in other cars. You should be able to find the V5 brackets/pulleys on one of the newer cars using that block format.

So, what year V6 had the DA V5 compressor, was it just the 88's? It sounds as if I might just be better off taking off the freon line slowly and releasing the freon and using the A6 compressor that will work perfectly with the engine, seeing as it came with it.

Cruise... I don't know just what is differant in the harnesses. The module might splice in but I doubt it. I'm not sure if there's enough space for it there either. I believe it usually lives under the carpet on the driver's side of the tunnel like the sub woofer amp does on the passenger's side.

There is a small black plug on the harness near the ECM... That plug is the cruise control interface to the ECM. In theory you would need to connect the V6 cruise to that plug and the system should work to a point... you'll still need to figure out how the module gets it's VSS feed.

I would assume that the output for the C/C module is within the wiring that is affixed to the car, and will not come out with the engine. This wiring harness is on the left side, contains the brake light wiring and the c/c vac diaphragm wiring. If the ECM will have provisions for the C/C to be inputted, and I can find another module and with the wiring, the only promblem I will have to face is figuring the wiring output for the vac control. it sounds do able to me.

Aftermarket is going to come as a package. That I know of, everyone here who's tried one likes it and the way it looks. I don't have much use for cruise where I do most of my driving so I've not bothered with adding it to mine.

I am going to persue the factory install first. I do make a lot of highway trips where I live and I have to take many country roads to get near urban areas. Cruise is an option that I don't like to live without.

I strongly recomend finding someone with ALLdata. They have cruise wiring for all years of Fiero. Then you can print both the 4 cyl and V6 and compair them at lenght. I wouldn't even try to alter that system without the wire diagrams for both engines.

I have an 87 Helm manual. I will look it over more in depth soon. I just wanted to get an idea of what to look for. Thanks for all the info.

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2001 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
bump

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock