Started on: 06-20-2002 11:14 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Leper on 06-21-2002 12:59 AM
1FST2M6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post

there is a 2.0 turbo Grand Am automatic 4door at the shop.. anyone put one of these in a fiero? white/white wheels/ blue-grey int.

-------
oh yeah it's an 86 or 87

------------------

www.dynotuner.net

[This message has been edited by 1FST2M6 (edited 06-20-2002).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kasdan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2002 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you should try it Travis and let us know

------------------
A nuisance, who sent, you sent for me?

Open Manifold Pushrod 3.4, Lunati Camshaft, 19# Injectors, ZR-1 Cowl Induction Hood,
Fastback Scoops, Mild Weight-Reduction, APR DTM Euro Adjustable Spoiler

kslish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1FST2M6:
there is a 2.0 turbo Grand Am automatic 4door at the shop.. anyone put one of these in a fiero?

I've seen it. Some guy at the Michigan Fiero show last year had an Indy (at least it looked like an Indy) with that motor in it. It fit fairly well except it looked like he had to get really creative with the cooling lines to route everything properly. You also have to use the transmission that comes with the motor because the bellhousing is different (since it's actually an Opel motor that GM rebadged if I'm not mistaken) and the starter is on the opposite side of the engine from what is the norm in the Fiero.

Incidentally, a company called Red Shift in Oregon offered this swap back in the '80's. I think they only did somewhere between 6-11 cars as the swap wasn't exactly popular due to the fact that it really didn't offer much more power than the V6 Fiero. It would be a reasonable upgrade for a Duke powered Fiero though if you're out to do something a little different.

Do a search in the archives, I know there's some stuff in there about this swap.

Ken S.

UpOnRamps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UpOnRampsSend a Private Message to UpOnRampsDirect Link to This Post
Any idea what kind of numbers it puts out? Could be interesting.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
165 hp, and those 1.8 & 2.0L OHC motors are just as horrid on heads and head gaskets as the early quad 4's are.

------------------

sloth85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sloth85GTSend a Private Message to sloth85GTDirect Link to This Post
I didn't know Grand Ams came with a turbo, cool. Either way, it's still a 4 banger.

------------------

Dan
1985 Silver GT

LT1 Conversion has begun......

HummelHund

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HummelHundSend a Private Message to HummelHundDirect Link to This Post
I may be going crazy here, but didn't I read somewhere that a few Fiero GTs had 2.0L turbos installed as a dealer option? They called it the Andretti edition, I think , or some other race car driver. If they did, I wonder how many are left today...

------------------
Sean W.

87' Fiero GT 5-spd
84' Fiero SE 2m4 4-spd, FOR SALE!!! $400 w/o replacement engine, $500 w/ engine.

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
All I know is that they were fast as hell in the grand am with 5spd. Or they felt fast anyway. I'd stay away from them tho cause they have head problems if they are overheated......just once. They warp easily and I think the HP gain makes it not work your trouble.....would look cool tho......especially if you stuck nitrous on it tooooooooooo!

Phil

------------------
GTDude
25 years GM experience

Slammed Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2002 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slammed FieroDirect Link to This Post
the motor is made in mexico.

I have seen that swap more than a few times. There was some sort of cheesy "emmerson Fitipaldi" Fiero (or some big name) That had that motor in it. The car floated arounf for the last 3 years , I saw it forsale more than once , each time with different owners.

Not a bad little powerplant , but for the weight of the car you want TQ!!

JM

------------------
Jonathan McCreery

I We Todd Did , I Sofa King We Todd Did.

[This message has been edited by Slammed Fiero (edited 06-20-2002).]

Master_Sushi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master_SushiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1FST2M6:

That thing looks smaller then a duke. I bet its pretty light too.

I like it!

hotmechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hotmechanicDirect Link to This Post
I had that engine in my 87 sunbird about 2 months ago.....till it exploded all over the expressway!! its 165ish hp stock, mine ran about 6lbs boost topps and was a screamer for a 2.0 i was gonna save the drive train for a fiero.....till it exploded. And correct about starter and bellhousing differences. the starter mounts on the back of the block in a normal front drive location(under the intake)so you would need the tranny from the donor car as well. And save that computer as well, its also different.

If you need parts for it, theres 2 of em in my local boneyard. one was mine lol

PFF
System Bot
Tom Swire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SwireDirect Link to This Post
My daughter inherited a 1988 Turbo Grand Am from her mom when she got her license. It has surpassed 150'000 miles and still going strong! It is an automatic and developes around 7 lbs. of boost when you step on it. I feel the power and accelleration are very impressive for a small sedan, but I also think some "sports cars" deserve a minimum of six cylinders. In my opinion, the Fiero is one of those cars. However, if I were to replace a four cyl. with another four cyl. this 2.0 turbo package would be my choice.
Leper
No longer registered
Report this Post06-21-2002 12:59 AM   Direct Link to This Post
I've had one try and kill me.
See how well the side of the block is hidden?
A 2" section of it still managed to whizz past my head. If I hadn't have moved to tell my friend to quit revving on it, I'd have received a new addition to my skull.
Not that I'm gonna tell you that there's anything wrong with doing the swap, I wanted to say why I'd rather turbo an iron duke.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock