decklid zr-1/mustang scoop pos./neg. by Timm
Started on: 06-24-2002 08:45 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Zoom88 on 08-24-2002 11:29 PM
Timm

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2002 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TimmSend a Private Message to TimmDirect Link to This Post
Anyone that has done the decklid scoop have any coments on reduced heat example, like no more altinator failure, does it change the handeling of the car at all. And does water get down on the motor badly when rains. What's the best spot for them on the decklid?
Anybody got any pics of theres
thanks for the info!@
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2002 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Well, I happen to have two "cool /cooling" scoops/vents on my car now:

I have The Fibersmith's 'stang-style deck scoop (installed right before this year's Dells Run)

On the bottom side, I just cut out the ocatagonal shape from directly above the engine. I always felt that my 3.1L was a bit "warm" - and the deck scoop does seem to have helped some. It's not extremely dramatic (the opening on the back side is only about 2" x 24"). If I feel I want further cooling, I'll probably install small electric fans below the Stock Engine "Vents" next to the decklid.

On my front end, I've got Rockcrawl's "JL Extractor" hood vent. It allows incoming air to flow out above/behind the radiator- it improves airflow, keeps headlights from popping up, and just simply looks cool!

It serves the same function as the ZR1-style hood scoops as well.

I don't have any exact measurements on how much it's reduced the temp on the engine (the needle fell of my temp gauge & I haven't fixed it yet).

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 06-24-2002).]

cadaver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2002 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadaverSend a Private Message to cadaverDirect Link to This Post
(the needle fell of my temp gauge & I haven't fixed it yet). LOL

Not to mention a killer set of lights. But then again I might be biasd.

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2002 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
Minn did you have to cut the decklid or is it a whole new decklid? If you had to cut it what did you use. please be specific.
Also that looks sweet.

------------------
87 GT
Holley Side Scoop---DELETE
K&N Air Filter
Home Page

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2002 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Minn,
I installed 6 small computer fans(12v) under the rear scoop aiming outward. a switch up front and I can controll the fans. All they really do is push out the air kinda like exaust air extractors. helps even more than "just a scoop" you should do it! I mounted mine on a alum.angle piece. VERY easy. I have several fans if you want some let me know!!

AND yes those lights DO help the air flow smoother!! right Tom!!! hee hee

------------------

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2002 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Cadaver- you bet... the sweetest lights possible I just need to finish developing my clear lexan lens cover for it!

ls3mach- I did just happen to have a spare GT Decklid & Hood (my old hood was damaged anyway). But I could've used the original just as well (they're exactly the same-just different colors).

I just shot these out in the parking lot... so the car is a bit dirty.

Here you can see the shape cutout (there is still some finishing to be done). Once it's completed & smoothed, I'll get a small black hose- slit one side, and stick it around the opening to give it a more "finished" appearance.

And a couple of exterior shots from other angles:

Revin- I'll let you know... I'm not really planning on needing the fans yet. But I'll let you know if I do!

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2002 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
***BUMP***
Where can I get one of these scoops?
Minn what di you cut that with.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2002 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
here is what I have done under my scoop. Highly recomended. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/019191.html

------------------

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2002 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:
***BUMP***
Where can I get one of these scoops?
Minn what di you cut that with.

Oh yeah- guess I forgot that part The scoop is a Ferrari_Momo/Fibersmith scoop from http://www.fibersmith.net

I cut the corners & short edges with a rotozip (sabre-cutting bit), then actually cut the long sides with a standard 8" circular saw (faster, cleaner, and straighter than the rotozip). I then glued & clamped on the scoop (after checking & rechecking it's position). After letting it cure, I filled the edges with bondo- a few coats- simply using my pointer finger to get the smoothed curved edge. There is still some final sanding to be completed, but it's certainly good enough to have on the car!

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 06-26-2002).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2002 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
Minn I just went there it says they are discontuinued. I really like the look of that.
Techguy999

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Techguy999Click Here to visit Techguy999's HomePageSend a Private Message to Techguy999Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
Oh yeah- guess I forgot that part The scoop is a Ferrari_Momo/Fibersmith scoop from http://www.fibersmith.net

I cut the corners & short edges with a rotozip (sabre-cutting bit), then actually cut the long sides with a standard 8" circular saw (faster, cleaner, and straighter than the rotozip). I then glued & clamped on the scoop (after checking & rechecking it's position). After letting it cure, I filled the edges with bondo- a few coats- simply using my pointer finger to get the smoothed curved edge. There is still some final sanding to be completed, but it's certainly good enough to have on the car!

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 06-26-2002).]

Minn --

Just searched and came up with your instructions. What did you use to "glue" it down? What type of filler did you use to finish it off?

PFF
System Bot
BarnOwl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarnOwlSend a Private Message to BarnOwlDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, go figure. I was just looking at scoops on eBay and found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1853241839

Now, I'm sure it'd look downright fugly on a fiero's nose, I wonder how it would work turned around in back? Carve out air openings in the blocked off tiers of the scoop and you'd have something like the decklid on the Scorpion, or some of the exotic rebodies.

Problem is, looks like it's made for curved hoods. Anybody know who makes this?

Barnowl

Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post
I have a factory mustang scoop that the one MinnGreenGT has on his car was pattern after.
It is listed on my website. I will include shipping at the price listed. It has mounting studs. (By the way MinnGreenGT, you did a great job on that install !!!)
Email me if you are interested

zoom88@diginostics.com

http://www.diginostics.com/Fiero/UsedParts2/Scoop/scoop.html

[This message has been edited by Zoom88 (edited 08-24-2002).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock