Should I replace this clutch pedal? by TheMasterRat
Started on: 08-22-2002 08:53 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: fierogsmith on 08-26-2002 09:45 PM
TheMasterRat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheMasterRatSend a Private Message to TheMasterRatDirect Link to This Post
I've noticed difficulties shifting into 1st/reverse and on occasion 3rd. This is even after I've bled the clutch using Archie's method...

Anyway, here's the pedal..

What do ya think? Could this be the cause of my problems? I have a higher res version if anyone wants it.

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero
4spd
Bone Stock w/42k miles

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
nope, thats normal.
The pedals bend up on the U shaped bracket where the MC push rod attachs to.

Open you car door, look down at the pedals, if the clutch pedal does not sit 3/4" higher than the brake pedal, good chance it is bent.

------------------

Fast Richard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fast RichardSend a Private Message to Fast RichardDirect Link to This Post
If it's aluminum, replace it with a steel one. They're not that hard to find on '88s and I think '87s. I got mine at a local U-pull-it for 5 bucks. They are kind of a bugger to change though. Turned my '86 SE from a grabby, clutch on the floor, hard-shifting POS into a real car!
MaxDaemon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxDaemonClick Here to visit MaxDaemon's HomePageSend a Private Message to MaxDaemonDirect Link to This Post
What Jelly said - also check the slave. I futzed with the slave (and master) (and pedal) for a couple weeks - finally bought a NEW slave and all was well.

------------------

'86 GT on the road for the summer!
'85 SC running smooooth. (SOLD!!)
'86 Gold SE V8 - how do YOU smell melted wire!
'85 Silver SE V6 - automatic for the kid!

Down to three - I think that's enough...

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Really need a shot higher up to be sure, but looking at the carpet someone has put more twist to it judging from the carpet line. It is also closer to the column and may be a problem when you don't need that to happen!
If you have an early model it's an alumnium one, the twist it has now increased travel the way it is.
Find a steel one and replace it.

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 08-23-2002).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
^ Do what they said^ before you have to replace the clutch too.

Now that GM has discontinued the pedals, The Fiero Store is making one that looks like the discontinued ones. I haven't used one yet but they look good.

Archie

TheMasterRat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheMasterRatSend a Private Message to TheMasterRatDirect Link to This Post
Actually, I was kind of umm, wondering about my clutch as it is....

The grab point seems to be REALLY low to the floor, maybe an inch off the floor.

Is that a sign of a failing/dying clutch?

Also, as far as I can see, neither the master nor clutch are leaking. Is there a way to test if it's still good?

fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Hey Master Rat , take one of the kids magnets off the kitchen frig , if it dosen't stick to the clutch pedal , replace it !

After 15-20 years of use the pedal gets bent and worn ! It doesen't take much to have have proplems getting the car in gear !

Hopefully , you don't have an after maket slave cylinder , that will only add to your headache's .

Galen Smith
Red 85 Sport Coupe
Founder of Suncoast Fiero Club

TheMasterRat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheMasterRatSend a Private Message to TheMasterRatDirect Link to This Post
Kids?! Where?! I'm only 20 man

Aside from the parts I've replaced on the car, I assume it to be completely stock ( 43k miles on it ), so I doubt it's an aftermarket slave.

MaxDaemon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxDaemonClick Here to visit MaxDaemon's HomePageSend a Private Message to MaxDaemonDirect Link to This Post
I put Rodney's replacement pin and bushings, and his adjustable banjo on my SC. Made the clutch smoooooth again, and the adjustable banjo made up for any problems in the possibly bent aluminum pedal.

I know everyone cusses the aftermarket equipment but I've been happy with my Raybestos slave cylinder and BOTH of my slave rebuild and master rebuild kits (Wagner from The Fiero Store) have worked great.

Vic

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
possibly bent aluminum pedal

Ed Parks says he has never really seen the aluminum clutch pedals bend. Only the steel U part on the top. So if your aluminum clutch pedal is not bent in the U bracket area a steel clutch pedal (according to Ed Parks) should not make any difference. You can upgrade the aluminum large banjo pin clutch pedals to the smaller late design pin with my small pin conversion kit: http://www.rodneydickman.com/n94.html

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
This is an unbent Steel pedal....

This is a Alum. pedal......

See how the Alum. pedal has the "U" shaped bracket bent upwards?

As you observe how the "U" bracket is bent upward, do you also see how that bending moves the pin closer to the pivot point of the pedal?

When that pin moves closer to the pedal pivot point it shortens the distance that pin travels when the pedal is pushed down.

Here is a comparison of the pedals .......

I've been doing V-8 swaps to the Fiero for the last 16 years. For the first 2 years I struggled ALOT with clutch problems that I now know were because of the bent pedal. About 14 years ago we found the bent pedal problem on one of my cars. I've seen some Aluminum pedals that were worse than the above pictures and I've seen some that were better, but I cannot remember seeing one that had no bend at all. Now, for the last 14 years, I've been advocating replacement of ALL Aluminum pedals.

Now your going to tell me that you're Aluminum pedal isn't bent and your not gonna replace it. I'm here to tell you that you are asking for trouble....I've seen these pedals going from being ok & driveable to UNDRIVEABLE overnight.

I'll tell you the story about me getting stranded in Upland, CA 14years ago when the pedal that was just fine yesterday wouldn't let me shift into any gear this morning.

There is a lot more clutch info on my web site http://home.v8archie.com/archism.htm

Archie

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
Archie,
Thanks for the photos & info. I have heard about this problem for a long time but never seen exactly where the bending occurs. By the way, I would also assume that the aluminum pedal must flex each time it is depressed in order for it to take a set, so the measurement could be much worse when you are actually shifting.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2002 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Isn't the Internet & Digital Camera & PFF all wonderful things?

Back in the Old Days "BI" (Before Internet), Fiero ownership was a lot more difficult. It's a lot better today.

You're right, when the pedal is depressed the "U" bracket distorts even farther from the pressure of pushing in the Master Cylinder. All of this distortion directly affects the total travel of the Slave cylinder. You need as much travel of the slave cylinder as possible to properly operate the Fiero Clutch and all this deflection and bending shortens the salve cylinder travel.

Archie

Originally posted by Gordo:
Archie,
Thanks for the photos & info. I have heard about this problem for a long time but never seen exactly where the bending occurs. By the way, I would also assume that the aluminum pedal must flex each time it is depressed in order for it to take a set, so the measurement could be much worse when you are actually shifting.

MaxDaemon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2002 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxDaemonClick Here to visit MaxDaemon's HomePageSend a Private Message to MaxDaemonDirect Link to This Post
It's certainly nice that The Fiero Store makes it possible to purchase a nice shiny new steel pedal, isn't it!
fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2002 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Hey Archie , really good post . Thanks for the information and pictures .

Galen Smith
Red 85 Sport Coupe
Founder of Suncoast Fiero Club

fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2002 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post

fierogsmith

1648 posts
Member since Apr 2002
Thought this information was something that should be brought to the top .

Galen Smith
Red 85 Sport Coupe
Founder of Suncoast FieroClub

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock