Started on: 10-01-2002 10:49 PM
Replies: 65
Last post by: Predator on 12-02-2002 08:20 AM
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2002 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post

Onto page 2...
IP: Logged
coinball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2002 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coinballSend a Private Message to coinballDirect Link to This Post
i forgot to ask you in the email, what are the P/N's for the ARP bolts. i called them and pretty much other than the rod bolts, i was gonna have to measure and call back and they would hook me up with the right head studs, main studs, etc. thanks.

------------------
Eric
'87 GT 5-speed Gold/Tan
3.4 TDC + other goodies coming summer of '03

gielamonster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2002 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gielamonsterClick Here to visit gielamonster's HomePageSend a Private Message to gielamonsterDirect Link to This Post
newfie,

Keep in mind FSAE cars are choked by the restrictor. This is why you'll see so many teams with elaborate "header style" intakes, in order to limit the number of velocity heads. On an unrestricted engine, this is not as much of a concern. Box or log style intake manifolds are pretty common. They work fine unless you're doing things like single port nitrous or 5th (7th on a V6) fuel injectors that might not give an even distribution unless you're careful.

------------------
Red Devil Racing

lowCG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2002 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowCGSend a Private Message to lowCGDirect Link to This Post
Very nice,have thought about how that setup could be on my DOHC,which by the way,was purchased over off of the Dixie highway from a GM only yard,when I was living in Dearborn.
With the pressurized intake,and the size of those ports,I have a hard time imagining any flow-related drawbacks with that intake.
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2002 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
I am :notworthy
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2002 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the praise guys. Newfie, the intake is not quite just a box. The bottom of the "box" tapers down to the base manifold. I know this isn't the best for pure flow, but when pressurized, laminar flow goes out the window. Whatever I may lose due to the design can easily be overcome with a little more boost! T-minus 10 days until it's first dragstrip encounter.

Matt

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2002 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
looks awesome!

Intake is basically an airbox, you make that a certin size, and you make the RUNNERS a certin width and cone shape and legenth. That's the real resonant element.

Is that a STOCK FIERO throttle body though? Gotta ditch that! (a 94 Northstar V8 Throttle Body is huge, and has similar sensors I belive.)

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. (2:13.138 at Sears Point) "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2002 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a terrific installation. I'd think that 325 to 350 HP is possible with this setup.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2002 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
artherd - I designed the intake box volume based on forced induction and the engine displacement. This is black magic and needs to be tested, but some engineering did go into the decisions. Yes I am using the stock Fiero throttle. With a N/A motor, throttle size is much more important than with a boosted engine. The stock throttle will easily support 400HP when air is being forced through it. Look at a turbo outlet. It is only 2" OD in diameter and can feed 400HP.

When is that Northstar going to run?!?

Matt

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Matt,
any news on the 3 to 1 stainless collectors? I really need a pair now, as I blew apart a header at the track, and have decided to just start on my turbo project now. I need 1.75" primarys (x3) X 2.5" collectors. Thanks man.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
fieroX - E-mail Steve Hamm for the collector info. oneqik6@mailcity.com

Matt

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt Hawkins:
artherd - I designed the intake box volume based on forced induction and the engine displacement. This is black magic and needs to be tested, but some engineering did go into the decisions. Yes I am using the stock Fiero throttle. With a N/A motor, throttle size is much more important than with a boosted engine. The stock throttle will easily support 400HP when air is being forced through it. Look at a turbo outlet. It is only 2" OD in diameter and can feed 400HP.

Share the math for all of this?

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
Matt,
Great job, i just purchased a 96 DOHC with about 29K miles, im going to put it into my 88 coupe. Do you have any websites or posts that i may find helpfull. Also, any odd things i need to know. I have done a search on the Tech and General forums, and have picked up a few things here and there, but i still have a long way to go. Thanks and i hope you dont mind the many ??? i will have in the future.

Rob

------------------

"DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT"

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
www.DOHCFiero.com
Brand new website, in need of content, and rapidly growing. I think over the next month you will see much more coming in. We are encouraging everyone who knows first hand experience with the DOHC 3.4 to come forward, and share their stories and hard information on mounting, wiring, plumbing, performance, reliability and different transmissions and the like. As well as pictures and maybe even some videos and sound files... you get the idea. We are all in the same boat.

------------------

IROC

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCSend a Private Message to IROCDirect Link to This Post
What did the haltech setup cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero 2.8
pocket ported, gasket matched complete intake. Still has no nut.
3.4l turbocharged project in process!

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2002 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
The Haltech was $1145 plus tax from Kinsler Fuel Injection in Troy, MI. I have seen new setups go on eBay for around $1000. The price includes the ECU, flying lead harness and sensors (minus MAP). The connector kit is an additional 75 dollars. The nice part about the Haltech is it can be used with the factory crank sensor and coil pack. I wanted all the reliability I could get. I am compiling all of my swap info for the DOHC website. It will include wiring diagrams and pictures of the install. Hopefully within the next week, I can have it all put together.

------------------
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo

IROC5.7tpi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IROC5.7tpiClick Here to visit IROC5.7tpi's HomePageSend a Private Message to IROC5.7tpiDirect Link to This Post
I just happened upon this site by accident and the first thing i see is this turbo Fiero. Only a guy from the Motor City could come up with something this good

Anyhow, sweet ride. I also wanted to let you guys know that a friend of mine owns Performance Fabricating & Engineeering in Chesterfield and they do custom headers for anything. They also do exhaust and rollcages as well as any other kind of fabrication work. The number is 586-949-3400.

Can't wait to see some timeslips!

------------------
Mike L.

1987 IROC Z 5.7 TPI A4 3.27 Borg-Warner four wheel disc
Mods:
Custom PROM and exhaust and a sh!tload of free mods :)

Check out my IROC

87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post

******>>>>>>X<<<<<<<******

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Matt; I would be very interested in finding how the Haltech ECM works out. From what I have heard the Haltech is reliable but very difficult to program. I ran the DOS evaluation version of the HALTECH E6GM program a short time ago and it appeared straight forward, but starting from scratch on the development of an engine management program IMO is quite a chore.
As for your swap, all I can say is beautiful job. Thet 3.4TDC should take real well to turbocharging. I'm envious.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
How about supercharged
I just bought a M90 SC (off ebay, for dirt cheep) I have to come up with a way to mount the thing though. So far, I have only came up with one way to mount it.

I make a large airbox simular to Matt's but much shallower with the fuel injectors inside it, and a nice flat top to mount the SC on. Its hard work, but would keep the profile low, perhaps a small scoop on the deck would suffice. There just so happens to be a pulley, right about where the SC would be, that does absolutly nothing, but hold a belt. I want to put it to good use.
This should be an interesting project. Unfortunatly I have to turn the SC slow for low boost, my compression is way to high for good boost. The sound of the SC is almost enough for me, should be good for an extra 40-50 horses. Just have to program my 1227727 computer with the Grand Prix turbo code, and modify that some. I have alot of work ahead of me.

------------------

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
Matt, Ive been looking into the exhaust, I love those headers, what would it cost for a set up like that.

I have a 96 out of Monte Carlo Z34 going into my 88 coupe.

Thanks

Rob

PFF
System Bot
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
Matt, did you ever make it to the track or dyno? Would love to hear some numbers you got if you did. Later.

Amir

------------------

1987 GT 5 spd: 2.8L
(15.57 @ 87mph)
1988 Formula 5 spd: 3.4L
(15.56 @ 84mph)
My Website: http://www.members.cox.net/rare88/

scrotum_pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2002 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scrotum_patSend a Private Message to scrotum_patDirect Link to This Post
He pulled a 13.1 on 8lbs.
87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
WoW! Not bad.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I was just looking over this site, http://mae.wvu.edu/~mhawkins/super34.htm
Is that yours? (not many M,Hawkins out there) Many people have wondered about this project, did it ever go? what happend to it? Inquiring minds want to know...
Predator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PredatorClick Here to visit Predator's HomePageSend a Private Message to PredatorDirect Link to This Post
Very nice setup. Is the intake pipe with the air filter going into the Fender well? I bet that thing will rock when you are done tuning it .

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock