Rear decklid ajar switch by jnc012001
Started on: 11-19-2002 03:36 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: jnc012001 on 11-19-2002 11:12 PM
jnc012001

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2002 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jnc012001Send a Private Message to jnc012001Direct Link to This Post
This may be a stupid question to ask...PLS forgive me Can someone tell me where the rear decklid ajar switch is located? I can't seem to find it, and I am pretty sure the "DOOR AJAR" light that is always lit is comming from the rear deck lid. I say this because I muct open the engine compartment via a screwdriver (previous owner had destroyed the lock) and had been driven around with the lid bouncing for a year or so. I removed the destroyed lock and it now latches firmley. Just waiting on the replacement lock to arrive. So I would like a "head start" on the ajar switch thanks for all the help! BTW 87 notchback 2.5L..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2002 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
WELCOME TO THE FORUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ajar switch is located in part of the lock assm. In the plastic part where it meets the metal piece on the body that it shuts around.

The switch also operates the rear cargo lamp if you have one. It is a small black switch that you can operate with you finger and it's made of plastic (black). It is small and I believe faces the passengers side of the vehicle. When you push it up, the ajar light should go out. Doors closed remember. Good luck!

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

BlkBird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2002 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlkBirdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTDude:

The ajar switch is located in part of the lock assm. In the plastic part where it meets the metal piece on the body that it shuts around.

That's not where mine is. Its a little push button type thing(like what controls your dome light when you open your door). I cant remember exactly where it was but it definately was'nt part of the lock. Atleast that's what I adjusted to get my AJAR light to turn off. Not trying to say your wrong GTDude 'cause everything you've givin' me advice on so far has been right, Im just curious now.

killerb15

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2002 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for killerb15Direct Link to This Post
my 85 Gt had a seperate door style push-in switch located on the left side of the engine compartment, but my 86.5 Gt has it integrated into the trunk release mechanism.

------------------

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2002 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Well, now I'm confused. Some of the service manuals don't say where the switch is and some say it's like the door ajar switch on the body below the trunk lid.

I do remember now why I thought it was on the lock assm. It was an 88 model which the book doesn't show where it is. I was at a car show...my first...and an old timer Fiero guy showed me that by inserting a toothpick in the lock mechanism that I could keep the trunk light from burning during judging.

I think they must make two diff kinds, my guess is pre 87 and post 87, but I could be mistaken again........LOL. If you don't see a switch on the body.....it must be on the lock. Best I can do..........Thanks for pointing this out BTW! NOBODY is ever always right.....LOL...especially me. Good luck!

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2002 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Direct Link to This Post
GT's switches are all on the lock assembly I believe. I used to think all coupes were in the engine bay inside the trunk seal, but I dunno. My 84 was.

------------------

My Car

RedGTFieroKCMO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2002 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedGTFieroKCMOSend a Private Message to RedGTFieroKCMODirect Link to This Post
Just like with certain model years, 86+ they started integrating the door ajar switches into the decklid and doors. The gas tanks got bigger, the windshield washer reservoir was enlarged, 87+ the plenum was engraved, headlight motors changed, etc etc.
jnc012001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2002 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jnc012001Send a Private Message to jnc012001Direct Link to This Post
I do see the black switch on the decklid lock assembly.......Phil was right and mines a 87 notchback 2.5l so as far as i can tell it apears to be ok.....not sure how to test it....the door switches apear to work as the dome lights come on when the door is open....again not sure how ta test if they work right when they are closed....but the dome lights do go out..so i believe they are working...that leaves the forward compartment....and not sure how ta test it either...but pushing the switch down does not make the ajar light go out. I also discovered that there is a place for a light in that compartment...I plugged it in...but the light does not work...also discovered the previous owner cut the wires for the head light motors....when touched to ground they jus run.....seems like aomething else ta fix but least the motors run....thanks for the help and any suggestions will be appreciated greatly
JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2002 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jnc012001:
...that leaves the forward compartment....

I also discovered that there is a place for a light in that compartment...I plugged it in...but the light does not work...

your park lights must be on for that light to work, so if you didn't, turn them on, then try the light again =) it may work after all.

jnc012001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2002 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jnc012001Send a Private Message to jnc012001Direct Link to This Post
thanks...I totaly forgot that about the parking lights! anybody got any suggestions on the ajar light?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock